Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I went to the Step 1 - The Free Seminar and...

I immediately felt self-conscious that I (for once) was the smallest person in the room. I almost felt like I was being judged and stared at for considering weight loss surgery. And I am sure it was perhaps mostly if not all in my head. I would say that to reach what I would consider being my ideal weight I would only need to loose about 65 lbs. Because of that I have not exactly received any type of support from my family, which makes me question whether or not this is something I need to do. I have battled my weight for years. The last year and a half I have been doing cross-fit training 5 days a week, counted calories for a while, did weight watchers for another while, walked and hour in the evenings and the most I have being able to loose is about 7 to o10 lbs. If I stop for even one or two weeks I gain it all back and then some. And although 65 lbs. do not sound like much, I am a short guy, and 65 lbs. makes it hard to even tie your shoes or get up from the couch. I also just turned 47 and I feel like I am running out of time to enjoy the last few years of not being super old and super fat. I am ok with getting super old, but I don't think I can deal with getting to retirement age and being so overweight I could not enjoy my retirement or the years I have before I get there.

But the other side of this is that surgery seems so drastic, and it is definitely permanent. I worry about what it would do to me socially since food becomes such a big part of your life and suddenly you become that guy that can't handle a drink or eat a steak and then it gets awkward, I would think, or does it? What is social life like with family and friends after surgery? when you can't eat like they do? I am not concerned about craving the food, or never eating this or that again blah blah blah I know I can deal with that. I am concern about the social aspect, how do people react when you politely say no thanks I can't eat anymore when you only had a few bites?

Anyhow, I know this sounds like a lot of whining, but would appreciate some feedback on social like after surgery and are there any regrets

Most people I care about are supportive. Haven't run across any that aren't but I will tell you, they won't be in my life after that. It's my life not theirs. That's my two cents.

@@treck1200 I think we all have our long fought battles with weight loss, the final straw for me, was my dad, having his triple bypass on new years eve last year (my mom died several years earlier, from complications of her open heart surgeries). It was the yo yo dieting and weight loss, and gaining the weight back. I feel most people are supportive and sites like this can be a plethora of information and support. Additionally, I feel weight loss surgery isn't an excuse or cop out or failure, on one's decision, it is a adjunct, a tool to meet one's goals. Good luck on your journey...

If you feel you have honestly done everything you could to lose the weight, I say go for it. I wish I had done this when I needed to lose that much.

My social life? Same as before. I used to eat out a lot and I still do. I just order and app or a side dish for my main, or I order a main and eat what I can and take the rest home. No big deal.

@trek1200 I was in a somewhat similar situation except I'm 15 years older.

I had to go on a mini binge to get my BMI to 40 (281). I think my actual weight at that point was more like 275, which was 75 pounds over my high school weight (when I was a very competitive slalom ski racer).

I lost 30 pounds pre/opt and another 20 in the 4 weeks since. I have riding my bike about an hour a day for 15 years, so exercise wasn't a problem (or a solution).

I think you have to keep a couple of things in mind:

1. Any BMI over 30 will cut your life expectancy.

2. It gets harder and harder to lose after you turn 50. The last time I was able to lose more than 10 pounds was at the age of 50. After that, the same diet that worked when I was younger, did nothing.

3. The sleeve isn't that much of a permanent change. Most of the posters on here are once obese sedentary women, so it's hard to extrapolate their experience to a guy who's still athletic with a lower BMI. If you seek out the guys comments, you'll find plenty of guys who still enjoy steaks and whiskey (just not so much).

I'm not even 3 months into the journey and I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Just do it and don't look back!

trek 1200 i also felt like one of the smallest people at my seminar. i had a starting bmi of under 40 but i do have high blood pressure and sleep apnea so therefore my insurance covered my WLS after a six months of weight monitoring. i did it for me. i do eat out alot. im 46 with 3 kids. i have an active lifestyle and cant speak long term because i just had my WLS this past friday, but one thing i can tell you as that i'm looking forward to my new healthier lifestyle. its a big deciscion but this sight will have everything you are looking for to make an informed decision. i was tired of loosing and gainging the same 50 pounds back year after year so for me it was a no brainer. good luck.