Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Large band VS Small Band

Hi fellow bandits,

I wanted to start a thread on this subject because I have the smaller of the two bands. My freind has the larger of the two bands. We are about the same weight and dont know why some docs use one or the other.

I was banded on 4/9/07. Had my first fill on May 24th he put in 1cc.

I was VERY tight and had problems eating most everything for about three weeks, LOTS of PBING!! My next visit I refused another fill, knowing I was still pretty tight. I had my next fill on Thursday the 12th of July the doc put in .5cc. I had some loose cream Soup for dinner that evening. Woke up the next morning took my meds they immediatly got stuck, not enough to PB but was uncomfortable for some time. Anyway by Friday evening I was having problems swalling Water, this went on all weekend. I called the docs service. the doc called back suggesting warm broth to relax the stomach. that didnt work and I ended up going in first thing Monday morning to have the .5cc removed. I had lost 8 lbs in 2 1/2 days. Not weight! I lost 8 pounds of Fluid and was very dehydrated.

I'm wondering if these problems are more likley to happen to people that have the smaller band, because I keep reading about people have 3 or more fills since their April surgery date with no problems. My friend is on her third fill without any overfill problems she has the larger band.

I'm kinda scared to go in for another fill !!!!

Hope someone out there has some infor for me.

Sorry so Loooooooong

Lynn:confused:

I am interested in this also

I just had the large band put on June 19th I will not get a fill untill Aug 7th

I am interested to hear what differences other people have found between teh two bands

Good luck

What is the "smaller" band size you are talking about? I asked my doctor today what size mine is and he said it is a 10. I asked him why I didn't have a 4 and he said there isn't one. I'm confused. He said the smallest is a 9.75, unless it is a different kind of band?

There are actually 5 sizes of the Inamed bands now...

The following hold 4mL: 9.75cm and 10cm (that may be where you got 4 from marie)

There is a Vanguard, or VG which holds 10mL

And two new bands: APS (small) and APL (large) that hold 10mL and 14mL respectively.

Surgeons usually choose which band to place at the time of surgery after measuring the anatomy of your upper stomach where the band will be placed. A band too big for your anatomy could result in your not ever having good enough restriction.

You really shouldn't base your experience off of what others have had or done. Every persons experience is as different as thier fingerprints.

Just my $.02

My surgeon said the size of the band is based on the size of your "innards". You can be a very large person, but still have a small stomach, therefore he uses the 4cc band. Surgeon's preference I'm sure.

I have the 4cc, as does my mother who was larger than I was at banding time.

I was told that some people have thicker areas than others and usually only men or people weighing over 600 lbs gets these

Most of the surgeons like the larger bands better. You just have more room to adjust. Mine used the 4 on me because I supposedly have a very small stomach. He said the band was really loose when he put it on so he couldn't justify the larger band. Well I was swollen and couldn't get anything down for a while. Now I'm on my second fill (1cc total) and I'm really tight. I wish I had the bigger one and he said that in hindsight he should have used the bigger one anyway and wouldn't use much of the smaller bands anymore. I'm was under 40 BMI at surgery but my mother in law was a higher BMI and got the 4ML band too. She's not having any issues at all and has had 3 fills with very little restriction. Everyone is different I guess

Yep,

I asked Dr. Curry and he said it depends on your stomach size and how big you are overall. I have the small, lowprofile mini port and Funny had surgery the same day with me in Mexico and she had the larger band. He said if a small person was given the larger band it would take longer to get a tight fit and you might never get it tight enough. and the same thing for the smaller. If you put it on a larger stomach they would have restriction without anyfill and may be too tight right off. Hope this helps.

Thanks for this thread. It has been very helpful to me as I wasn't clear on the whole band sizes either. I know I have a 4 cc band. I have not had a fill yet, but I can eat way more than I should now. I look forward to my first fill. My BMI is over 40 and I have 125 pounds to loose, but he put the smaller band on me.

Thank you for the information on band sizes. I know that I have a 4 cc band and didn't understand what that meant. I look forward to my first fill as I am able to eat more than I should. I can't believe how sick my mind is that I will push this. I am making better choices and eating way smaller portions, but I need to do something about fixing my brain.

You should certainly check with your surgeon. He/she should have given you a card with that information on it.

Okay....I'm confused! I was told I have the "small Inamed" band....so which one is that?

Yes, You should have a card that fits in your wallet that tells you what size band you have and how many cc's it holds.

Yes, You should have a card that fits in your wallet that tells you what size band you have and how many cc's it holds.

I have an Inamed card.....that says maximum fill volume is 4cc. Is that right?

That sounds like the correct card. You should see either a 9.75 or 10cm part to that, which will tell you what size you have.