Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

VSG and depression/anxiety meds

Has anyone been on these meds and passed/failed the psych eval? What about after surgery and these meds? Has it changed where you don't need these meds anymore?

I wondered the same thing but a lot of people on here have said that many of us are on antidepressants and have anxiety simply because of our weight and the issues that it causes. A lot of people have not had any issues with their psych evaluation some have had minor issues. I have my evaluation today I will let you know how it goes.

Omg hollybower..I'm so excited for you! I do the seminar tonight and I cant wait to begin this new journey. Excited and nervous and yes please let me know how it goes. I wish you the best you will do great!! ????????

I take medicine for depression. I had no problem passing the psych examine. I am a little over 4 weeks post-op and I haven't noticed a change in my mood. The medicine seems to be working the same as before the surgery.

I went into the evaluation determined to not tell to much. I was afraid of failing. I ended up talking about just about everything I had been through the past 20 years. I never was good at keeping my mouth shut. But it worked out great. I passed.

Yeah payitfoward! I'm so happy for you and it helps put me at ease a bit. I'm a worry wart I guess, I worry about everything and it's ridiculous lol. I am glad it went well and I hope you are doing great post op. Again thank you and much appreciated. ????

I take Effexor (75mg per day), and I was taking it before surgery. I was not immediately cleared for surgery by the psychologist. She wanted me to get started on regular therapy sessions to ensure that I had the needed support throughout the process. But I went back the following month, after beginning therapy, the psych talking to my therapist, and she cleared me then.

The fact that I was on meds had no bearing on not getting cleared right away. It was more that I am super hard on myself, and the psych wanted to make sure that I was not going to be setting myself up for failure with too high of expectations of myself with surgery.

P.S.--I did find that after surgery, I have to cut my Effexor in half and take it twice a day. Taking a whole pill at once makes me nauseated. Not as much now at 4.5 months out, but still enough to be uncomfortable.

Lauraellen80, that's good to know. I take Prozac just 20 mg 1pill a day. I just get so down on myself can't do this or need to be doing that n I end up pussing myself off and just being angry at everyone lol. Guess I'm hard on myself too. I have been to counseling for my childhood problem and for my marriage, I feel better and am past ready to move on.

Its good to know that being on meds had no bearing on the eval and hopefully we can all be off the meds with time. Are you happy and how is things going after surgery? How do you feel?

Be sure to work with your doc on your meds before surgery. Some work, some don't and some we just don't know. Meds for depression and other mental health issues are unpredictable enough without the WLS aspect. Please google your meds with the type of weight loss surgery you are having and take your research to you doc. Hopefully you can put a plan together in advance. At least that will be one thing off your mind: http://www.newlifebariatricsurgery.com/uncategorized/medication-absorption-after-bariatric-surgery/

Are you happy and how is things going after surgery? How do you feel?

I'm doing pretty well since surgery. I have been going to therapy regularly and am checking in every few months with one of the psychiatrists in the same practice to make sure my meds are where they should be as my body changes. I still struggle with perfectionism and "all-or-nothing" thinking, but I'm slowly working on it in therapy.

Thank you okcpirate I looked and there seem to be quit a few that take Prozac and have had this surgery, defiantly feel better now ????.

Lauraellen80, I'm glad to hear your doing so well, therapy really helped me. I am emotional but that's me always been "tender hearted" as my dad used to say

Yeah payitfoward! I'm so happy for you and it helps put me at ease a bit. I'm a worry wart I guess, I worry about everything and it's ridiculous lol. I am glad it went well and I hope you are doing great post op. Again thank you and much appreciated.

I worry and over-think about every situation. I've only read one post from a person that was not approved. She was told to six months of treatment, I think, and then try again. Anyway, it doesn't happen often and best of luck to you.

PS - Just read your post about Prozac. That is what I take. I think I take 40 mg. I've been thinking about asking my doctor if I can cut back for the past year. I'll probably wait a little while longer to bring it up. I am afraid that I might have trouble dealing with everything once I lose weight. I've lost 100+ lbs several times in the past and the extra attention from men was very stressful for me.

Edited by PayItForward

The extra attention I would love to have as long as its from my husband ???? You will be fine and will do great. The extra attention is nice just be sure its for the right reason and not just your looks. I don't know how old you are married or not and don't wanna know, just keep it pleasant and nice and go from there. Attention is nice, just don't let anyone make you uncomfortable you will do awesome!

How did anyone take their anxiety/depression meds right after surgery? Did you have to open the capsule and put it in Water or something?

How did anyone take their anxiety/depression meds right after surgery? Did you have to open the capsule and put it in Water or something?

I was able to take my meds starting the day after surgery without a problem.

Everyone's situation is unique, however, they aren't likely to turn you down unless you show signs of self-harm or other serious and unaddressed mental-health issues. Like it was previously mentioned in this thread for many of us our stress/anxiety/depression has firm roots in our physical health and self-image.

Full disclosure: I'm in a similar position, currently on Cymbalta. After my Psychological testing and interview I was permitted to have the surgery on the condition that I continue having therapy.