Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tools/Items for Portion Control

I bought a digital scale to help me understand the amount I was eating so that I could add it to My Fitness Pal. It helps with portion size being visible, and weighed.

I got a Bariatric plate for the future, right now I am only weeks out but I am taking NO chances of it coming back. Of course, you eat just until you are beginning to get full. I had to much to eat the other day and was miserable, eat slowly - it can be hard if you are getting some food back you really love.

@@Namaste6 I used a candle warmer for a plate warmer while I ate. It took me FOREVER in the beginning so I just put my little baby plate on it and it kept my food warm. I don't have that problem now. I need to slow down.

Thanks again for all of these amazing examples. I am 27 days away now! Couldn't be more excited

I bought a coffee mug warmer, I still use it in my home office. Keeps Breakfast and cofee hot!

Did you guys have trouble with hot or cold food?

Ugh I was just going to say how tired I am of my food getting cold. Cold fish for dinner - Gross! I have to go get one of those coffee cup warmer things!

@@Namaste6 - I thought of another thing that is not Portion Control but was very useful - one of those hand blenders. It was great during puree stage to blend up Soups and such. And the coffee mug warmer will be helpful when trying to keep broth warm during the liquids phase. I kept forgetting to buy one so I used an insulated mug (like for coffee) to keep my broth warm in between sips.

I've never measured anything on a food scale, but I did go and get 2, 4 and 6oz food containers and keep them on hand at all times. The 2 and 4 oz are great sizes for me and just the right amount. Actually, I find the 4oz fills me up almost too much at times, but they are great for left overs and to bring lunch to work.

I always have issues with food being cold. However, I have found since surgery, that I can tolerate food better at room temperature or colder. Warm, hot food seems to not settle as well and I get full extremely fast, like to the point of not even getting 2 oz in. I can do at least 4 oz with room temperature food, so actually isn't that bad of a thing for me.

Edited by Graciesmom04