Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tools/Items for Portion Control

Hey guys, I was curious if anyone purchased any kitchen items to help them with portion control...

(2 oz storage containers, smaller forks, smaller plate, etc.)

Someone I know who had the RYN bought 2 oz baby food containers that she said helped her, but I wasn't sure if it was necessary.

Obviously I have a problem with portions NOW, but I am hoping with the planning process I will get better with it.

Any thoughts, experiences or suggestions?

I think you will find once you have surgery that it is easy to know when you are full. It is an IMMEDIATE feeling. I measured out 3 to 4 ounces. The thing is, I would get full before it was empty but would try to eat it all. I stopped doing that. I didn't want to feel obligated to eat all that was in my cup. I use the containers because I do some meal prep for the week. I have chicken and veggies for lunch or Soup. I just like that these smaller containers are a perfect fit. Plus, it helps me skip the step of measuring.

I didn't always know when to stop. I weighed out my food. Still do at times. It worked wonders for me. I hardly ever use larger sized (regular sized) plates, containers, etc. Everything is smaller...and most importantly..I'm smaller. LOL.

I am 2 1/2 months out and have been using the divided kiddie plates. At times when I feel extra hungry it lets me know when I would need to stop but so far as others have said I get full before I can eat it all. I think it is that old my eyes are bigger than my stomach thing.

I used disposable baby spoons in the beginning to make sure I was getting small bites. May need to go back to that. Got sick yesterday after lunch and I think mostly because I was taking too big of bites and not chewing well enough.

I got a bunch of small storage container just because it makes things easier. I do most of the cooking in my house so I find it easy to put left overs in the small containers so I have things ready to go for lunches or a quick micro dinner,

Edited by Waler

I bought a bunch of the little 4oz Rubbermaid containers from Walmart. In the beginning I measured out 2 oz onto a small plate, but soon found it very convenient to just use one of the little containers and fill it half full. They are very handy for taking leftovers, cottage cheese, chicken or tuna salad, etc... for lunch. I still use them all the time. I can eat more now, 3 to 3.5 oz at a time, and they still work perfectly... I just fill them almost full now.

As for actually weighing food, I also bought a flat digital food scale at Walmart. I think it was $20. You just set your plate/bowl/glass on it and then tare the scale to zero, it will give you the weight of whatever amount of food you put in it. This is also super convenient and easy to use.

When I'm eating at home I do use smaller plates / containers.

Just got used to it during the losing phases, and it still works well for me now that I'm maintaining.

I have a digital food scale that I use daily. In the beginning I bought a package of disposable condiment cups and ate out of them. Now I eat off a salad plate at home and have a bento lunch box with small containers to pack my lunch in.

I am 29 months post-op RNY. I purchased a set of measuring cups with the full range of sizes for my different meal volume stages post-op. Since I choose to eat primarily Soups and chili, it was easy to measure the exact size I needed for each meal. I still use them today.

I also purchased a small metal spoon which I use when I eat Soups and chili.

I use the mini plates, bowls, spoons, forks, etc. that are sold as appetizer items in the Bed Bath & Beyond & like stores.

I know a lot of folks little toddler dishes. I prefer adult dishes that are small. I also happen to like pretty dishes.

I bought: appetizer spoons, sushi plates, rice bowls, saki cups, and salad plates. I also use Soup plates a lot -- I already had several that I bought at a restaurant supply store that I love. Now that I am farther out from surgery, I have a fiestaware Soup bowl that I eat out of a lot.

I use the appetizer spoons or just the tip of a teaspoon most of the time. I find I rarely use a fork just because so much of what I eat is moist that a spoon works best. But, when I use a fork I just use a regular-sized one.

The 4 oz rubbermade or ziplock bowls are good for storage. Gerber also has some nice, colorful lidded bowls.

If you like glass storage, there are so nice containers that are marketed for baby food, but Libby also has some jars with lids. I know some people use the small canning jars.

You can get small ramekins that can go in both the oven and microwave for cooking small portions.

Definitely make sure you get a good food scale and measuring cups and spoons if you don't already have them.

For someone who didn't cook much, but happens to love kitchen ware, this is where I went on a bit of a shopping spree. I even bought a couple of blenders but still mostly use a Blender Bottle.

I just recently pulled out my old slow cooker, but am eyeing a new multi cooker.

Best item you can buy is a good set of scales.

I also bought lots of little containers which hold 3oz portions/5 oz portions which I still use now, both in and out of the house. I bought pretty little china plates, the size of side plates for home, nice small cups for the odd cup of tea/coffee I have and 20oz Fluid beakers. One of the best things I got, was deep set ice cube trays. They have been a blessing!

I didn't want to use plastic baby cutlery, so hunted down a nice kids size cutlery set with knives which actually cut thicker items of food, such as meat. I have to admit, shopping for things for post op kept me busy during the weeks leading up to surgery and kept the excitement up!

Kate

Standard ice cube trays measure out to approximately 1 ounce per cube. If you make Soup or something from scratch in big batches, freeze and then just pop out 1 or 2 for meals. I also do this with spinach or kale purees. I then add 1 cube to my Protein drink.

• I bought small lock and lock storage containers.
  • A variety of shaker bottles and Water bottles.
  • I purchased a spoon that measures ½ and ¼ cups.
  • Individual size ramekins for baked dishes.
  • I also hauled out my old bento boxes for day trips this summer.