Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Staples Are in Your Pantry?

My staples live in my fridge, not the pantry...

Premiere Protein

Cottage cheese

Quark

String cheese

eggs

Also -

Peanut Butter

Crystal Light

Almonds

tuna

Staples for me include:

- Greek yoghurt (Total 0% or Skyr)

- eggs

- Some sort of fresh chicken on hand in the fridge

- tuna

- Decaf tea & coffee

- cheese (cheddar and babybel)

- Assorted veggies (fresh and frozen; broccoli, carrot, cauliflower, mushrooms, peppers)

I need to add in more fruit to my diet, but I think I'm more of a veggie person.

Most of the items I have in my kitchen have been mentioned except for hummus....great snack and much better with fresh veggies than any kind of dip. Also...I keep 100 calorie items in my kitchen as well. I'm in maintenance now, so bear that in mind but a cup of coffee and a 100 calorie biscotti or brownie goes a long way to satisfy my sweet tooth and the intake is totally limited. So many items are available in the 100 calorie portions and it makes it so much easier to not overdo. Oh..and I keep Water flavorings around as well. Just can't deal with plain Water all the time and the drops help to change things up a bit.

Good luck!

@@gowalking I love hummas! I have been making my own for a couple years now! That will definitely fit in my future diet.

Thanks!

I am almost 5 months post op. My staples are: dannon light and fit Greek yogurt, canadian bacon, low fat mozzarella string cheese, Water, Powerade zero, salmon, shrimp, Tyson Grilled and Ready chicken breasts, steamable veggies, frozen veggies, and Soup. My typical day: Greek yogurt and 2 slices of Canadian bacon for Breakfast. I have the mozzarella cheese for a snack. lunch is half a piece of the grilled and ready chicken along with 1/4 cup veggies. I either have some nuts or a Protein shake in the afternoon. Then dinner is usually fish, shrimp, chicken with some veggies. I have Soup sometimes as well. I try not to though because when I do I usually am in danger of not getting enough Protein.< /p>

fairee,

Good for you for getting your kitchen ready! I’d get rid of carbs like Pasta, rice, and any of the boxed and canned meals and side dishes like macaroni and cheese, mashed potatoes, Hamburger Helper, etc. Definitely, like someone mentioned, get rid of the brownie, cake, pancake, and other mixes, unless you need them regularly such as for baking Cookies for events, for example, AND if you have the self-control not to eat them. Toss the chips, Cookies, fruit Snacks, and any other sugary, fatty, or starchy Snacks.< /p>

Keep the healthy Proteins, like canned tuna and chicken, Peanut Butter (although you won’t be eating it until later), and Beans. Canned fruits (not in syrup) and vegetables (no sugar added) are also good.

You can also keep some things that will be good for your pureed foods diet even though you won’t be eating them later on your solid foods diet. Cream Soups, for example, are fine early on even though not after a few months post-op.

Also think about stocking up on the post-op items like Protein powders and shakes, broths and bouillons, and low-calorie flavored Water enhancers. I love your idea of freezing spices!

in the cabinets I have fat free vegetarian refried Beans, low calorie Soups, broth ( which I cant stand since surgery), enchilada sauce, canned tuna

Freezer I have turger burgers patties, salmon, boneless skinless chicken breasts.

Fridge I have diet cran grape, cheese, sliced turkey ( from the deli, not packaged), zucchini, celery, tomatoes

I'm a little over 3 months post-op, and here's what I tend to keep around...

Pantry:

• Refried Beans (both pinto and black bean)
  • Lentil & black bean soups
  • Bean Pasta (I recently tried the Explore Asian brand and liked it. I have a Modern Table lentil mac-and-cheese kit that I'm looking forward to trying)
  • oatmeal (Quaker lower sugar packets)
  • Prunes
  • Canned low-sodium green beans
  • Jarred marinara sauce (I found that the Giant store brand has less sugar than others--unless you go for one of the expensive $9/jar kinds)
  • No sugar added peaches, pears, applesauce
  • Mixed nuts (pistachios, cashews, and almonds)
  • Parmesan cheese crisps
  • Quest or Pure Protein bars (for when I'm on the go and am not sure when/where I'll be able to eat)
  • Premier or Pure Protein ready-to-drink shakes (for when I'm on the go and for in my coffee)
  • Syntrax nectar and unjury protein powders
  • Torani sugar-free syrups
  • Mio Water enhancers
  • Apples
  • Justin's almond butter single-serve packets (I eat 1/2 an apple with half a packet for a snack)
  • Olive, canola, and sesame oils
  • Various vinegars
  • All sorts of spices and herbs

Fridge/Freezer:

• Turkey pepperoni
  • Deli ham, turkey, chicken
  • Light Babybel cheese, light string cheese, Laughing Cow cheese
  • Full-fat cheeses like Parmesan, cheddar, etc. (I eat a lot of cheese...)
  • Baby dill pickles
  • Greek olives
  • Salsa
  • 100-calorie Wholly Guacamole packs (I eat half of one at a time)
  • Morningstar Farms veggie and bean burgers (I like to heat one up and spread with a Laughing Cow wedge for a quick dinner)
  • Frozen chicken breasts

I'm getting such good advice from all of you! I really appreciate it.

I have almost gotten rid of the "bad things" in my pantry. My son is coming on Wed. so everything left over will be gone very soon!

I'll be doing my shopping next week and I have many suggestions for what to buy.

Thanks again!

I'm pre-op but my freezer has ground turkey frozen talapia and some morningstar grillers veggie burgers. My fridge has yogurt string cheese lactaid milk pickles and lots of fresh veggies. I make Soup Every couple of days with something I grab from the store. I visit the farmers market for fresh vegetables once a week I can get a but load for cheap and I use loads of spices