Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I HATE exercising! What Should I do?!

I am not a fan of exercise either, but at 6 weeks postop I rejoined the gym. I do cardio hip hop 2x weekly. Also have a trainer twice weekly since I am intimidated by all the muscular/fit people in the weight area. She has done a lot to allay my feelings of self consciousness by basically telling me that no one is looking at me because they are too busy with their own routines. I climb the damn escalator climber thingy on days I don't do Zumba/hip hop. It's not my favorite activity, but to be honest I feel better/less sluggish when I exercise. Also hoping it helps with overall toning as I lose!

@@rnsamantha

Now see, getting together with someone to exercise, this is not in my wheel house. I was able to handle a personal trainer for about a month. Very nice gal and I will probably get with her again after my surgery.

My biggest problem with groups is, I don't play well with others LOL Sad but true. I am a hermit at heart. It is even hard for me to go to the gym.

Guess I'll get a lot of walking done around the house LOL

@@Sunshine3073 - As well stated by Babbs, most of the weight loss will come from food choices. However, the tone, contour of your body as well the quality of your life are going to be determined by exercise. So you have some choices, if you have the mind set that I can take my medicine in small doses - use this method: http://www.mercola.com/infographics/what-is-peak-fitness.htm - best results, small time commitment. Or if you want to get it all done in one or two weekends a month, climb a mountain (6000 calories burned in one day: http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/346873-once-a-wish-now-done-what-makes-you-proud/).

Now my personal experience has been I have been so turned on by how much more I can do because of the weight loss it has turned me on and I've become a gym rat and I like 5K's. My neighbors commented at my Home Owners meeting "what in the world happened to you, you've lost weight, your coming running down the street all the time."

Now, my favorite trick that I am only sharing with you is really good audio books. I load those on my iPod. I am only allowed to listen when I am working out. So if I want to continue listening, I have to take a walk or run.

Yes! I love my audible.com and also podcasts! Try Serial podcast! Soooooo gripping and I only let myself listen when I run!

I find the more I told myself that I liked being active, that I liked exercise.. got me closer to liking it.. and as I told myself I love it, I started loving it.

I go to the gym 6 days a week now. For me its a bit of a novelty, being overweight or fat or whatever pretty much all my life, this is still like being a newborn to me.

The company is work for is full of very fit people. out of 30 employees we have 4 triathletes, 5 regular survival run type people, and 6 marathoners. I was pretty much the lone fat person in the company. My co-workers would say things like, " oh when you start going to the gym, you will become addicted to it!" or " oh you'll be unhappy on days you dont go." .... NOT!!, lol I still dont love going. but i have found its necessary to keep focused, to make that commitment to myself and keep it. Now I am lucky my wife goes to the gym with me 4 times a week and we do all cardio for now. Soon to really join in the circuit training as well. But i found riding a stationary bike while i watch movies on my tablet is just ideal. I can do 12 to 15 miles at a very good pace while watching a movie and i don't pass out and die afterward. Every other day i hit the treadmill and do about 2 or so miles at a 4, incline at a very brisk pace. But under no circumstances do i love it, nor am I addicted to it lol. But i do love the result. And im watching a lot of movies. My suggestion is dont overdo it, dont dive in to the cardio full bore, take two weeks and maybe you do 3 mile son the bike at a easy pace. then slowly each week add a mile or the like until youve lost a good amount and feel more comfortable.

Do not just jump in and run yourself ragged on the elliptical or stepper or whatever and barely make it out alive, this is negative reinforcement and just makes you dread the gym or working out even more. I recommend Planet Fitness if there is one close by. If you do use a gym, make sure it is close enough that its not a big production for you to go. My gym is literally 1 mile from my home, and that's a big motivator for going. I have another planet fitness that is like 4 miles from home and that just seems to far for me and gives me an easy reason not to go.

Do what is necessary to make it easy for yourself to succeed, or at least as easy as you can make it.

@@Stevehud Eventually.. you will get to that point.. and this is why I say find something you love.. I just to pound away on the treadmill.. I HATE THE TREADMILL.. Most boring thing EVER. But I did it.. for years.. music would help.. Now I found that I love running outside.. its just.. different.. and better.. and then I found cycling.. first I did spinning.. then finding that I love biking 20-30 miles outside..

I used to hate it too. Post op, I purchase a good quality exercise bike and located it in front of my big screen. 5x per week I get up an hour before I have to and enjoy a show, (dvrd or netflix) while spending 45 minutes on hill intervals. Sometimes I get so into a show, that alone motivates me to get up so I can find out what happens next! Once I got fit, I began to enjoy the process more and most def the feeling and the metabolism boost after! That's what worked for this former couch potato anyway. Good luck!

Sunshine3073,

I have two pieces of advice. One, as the others have said, find something you like to do, and find someone you like to do it with! Walk, hike, bike, swim, play golf, try hip-hop or Zumba, walk around the mall, lift light weights, garden…boredom will kill your exercise plans, so make it fun.

And two: start easy! When you know your exercise is going to be painful and too hard, of course you’re going to dread it! Just tell yourself you’ll go short and easy, and tell yourself you can stop whenever you feel bad. Then you’re more likely to actually get started, and that’s the key to keeping it going.

Good luck!

Hello,

Just a lot of walk, maybe in the mountains? I do not like to run, but I love going to the gym and it turns me on, you too will certainly find something for yourself. Try :)

Um, I just ordered the new "CIZE" from Beach Body, which is a dance routine that claims to be the "end" of exercise. I have not even received it much less tried it though. I like to dance though. Also planning to get a trainer as soon as I am out of walking only stage. 1 more week and 3 days to go!

I always hated exercise too but I think part of that was that I was resentful that other people seemed to do it easily and it was a struggle for me because of my size. Now I've discovered I really enjoy it and actually feel off and resentful when I can't do it. Of course, I only enjoy certain kinds. I really like walking, I've recently gotten in to cycling, and I've always loved being in the Water. Most exercise that you do indoors doesn't really hold my interest, which is just as well since I can't really afford a gym! I have started doing strength training at home which I do rather enjoy since I watch TV whilst doing it and sip my Protein Shake. Plus, I like feeling sore later and discovering new muscle definition. The other day my left side was sore and I though I felt a lump and became convinced I'd herniated something, only to compare it to my other side and discover it was actually a muscle!

Let me be clear that I have always hated exercising, even when I was on active duty. Cardio is the worst!

How do I get started without loathing it? What should I do? Nobody in my healthcare group has really discussed with me where to start and how to stick with it. HELP!

If you like shopping, go to a large mall and just sort of look around. Walk around clothing stores, picking out styles for as you lose weight, check out book shops. Just explore. It is getting your walk in without making it seem like a vile chore and three hours later you will wonder where the time has gone!

Get your favorite music and walk. Where I live there's a bike path. I started just walking to the corner which took me 15 min. Thank God there are benches, I had to sit and rest before I got to corner. But now I walk further never thought that would happen . Also we have a prep program that the dr recommends for excerise mostly everyone that participates are WLS very supportive trainers just start somewhere after while it will become second nature

I know this is an old thread, but I hate excercise, too. So you know what I do? I don't excercise. Simple. I have an active, physical job that I Spend 60+ hours/week doing, I have horses to feed and to ride, I have a yard to take care if, I have snow to shovel, I have a house to clean, I have laundry to do, I have grocery shopping that needs done. Why would I want to spend what little free time I have doing something I hate?