Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does anyone feel pressured by surgeon to have the bypass (instead of sleeve)

Thanks -- I get all that. :o). My point was that being irreversible isn't as big of a deal as it sounds. In the end, even if you don't lose much or regain what you did lose, the fact that the sleeve is irreversible doesn't really matter. Effectiveness aside, I can't imagine a situation where someone with a goal of losing weight would ever say they wish they had a larger stomach. I can, however, imagine someone wishing they hadn't rerouted their digestive system. I just meant that saying the sleeve is irreversible isn't actually as scary as it sounds. It just means you'll never have a large stomach. In my world, that's a good thing'

Needless to say, I have changed my mind and am now scheduled for the sleeve. I let my surgeon talk me into the bypass twice -- but every time I left her office and started to think about it, I kept coming back to the sleeve. In the end, I consulted another surgeon and he confirmed everything I was feeling on my own -- so I made the switch.

Sorry! That was supposed to be a smiley face above!

Whatever makes YOU feel the safest is what it is all about, the rest is just noise. I wish you the best of luck on your journey!!! <3

Thanks -- I get all that. :o). My point was that being irreversible isn't as big of a deal as it sounds. In the end, even if you don't lose much or regain what you did lose, the fact that the sleeve is irreversible doesn't really matter. Effectiveness aside, I can't imagine a situation where someone with a goal of losing weight would ever say they wish they had a larger stomach. I can, however, imagine someone wishing they hadn't rerouted their digestive system. I just meant that saying the sleeve is irreversible isn't actually as scary as it sounds. It just means you'll never have a large stomach. In my world, that's a good thing'

Needless to say, I have changed my mind and am now scheduled for the sleeve. I let my surgeon talk me into the bypass twice -- but every time I left her office and started to think about it, I kept coming back to the sleeve. In the end, I consulted another surgeon and he confirmed everything I was feeling on my own -- so I made the switch.

I forgot one of the most important parts when comparing RNY to the sleeve. Granted you have made up your mind, and that is great. However I would be doing you a disservice if I did not mention this aspect. The sleeve is a restrictive surgery. There really is little to no malabsorbtive aspect to it. RNY has both, so we all understand this. However and this is so critical that I feel I should flog myself for failing to bring it up before. Science has figured out that there are 4 (probably more) main hormones that go along with hunger. Scientists have run test after test and found that in naturally thin people, these 4 hormones/chemicals are in the normal range. The 4 I speak of is Ghrelin, Leptin, Glucogen Like Peptide and GLP-1. In RNY patients typically within a week these 4 hormones are back at a normal level for a normally thin person. HOWEVER, the SLEEVE does not benefit from these hormonal changes.

So, to say my final words on this topic. Why do Doctors tend to push people towards RNY? It's been around a long time. Any possible complication you can imagine, had been dealt with. Weight loss is predictable, and the 'hunger hormones' go back to normal. The Sleeve while promising, lacks a great deal of the advantanges RNY gets. Said another way, Doctors push people to what they know works, and works best. At least good doctors.

Best of luck in your surgery mate,!!

They are both great procedures. If you have diabetes or acid reflux, bypass sounds like a great choice.

I revised band to sleeve 4 years ago and have maintained a massive weight loss. .. I am half my former weight and size and maintaining. Sleeve is more than restriction it helped me change my relationship with food.

They are both great procedures. If you have diabetes or acid reflux, bypass sounds like a great choice.

I revised band to sleeve 4 years ago and have maintained a massive weight loss. .. I am half my former weight and size and maintaining. Sleeve is more than restriction it helped me change my relationship with food.

That's awesome! I was really leaning toward the sleeve until I read more about GERD and the sleeve not playing well together. My surgeon and I agreed that RNY was the best option for me and I hope all surgeons listen to their patients as well as mine did. My first consult/seminar was with a surgeon who said the sleeve would be fine for me, even after I told him about GERD...thank goodness I didn't follow up with him!

My surgeon and case manager both pushed me to get the RNY done. Since I am diabetic and diabetes is very prevalent in my family history, thats what I chose to have. I think doctors want to see numbers and good results from their patients. I figure, just based on that assumption, thats what they see when comparing RNY VS the sleeve.

I'm glad that you've made your decision based upon the counsel of your PCP as well.

I was pressured the opposite way, to have a sleeve rather than the RNY, so I switched surgeons, and talked with the new one at length about what my goals were. I'm right there with you regarding the metabolic issues, I'm also a diabetic, hoping for remission.

It's not an easy choice, but it's done, and now you can work on the future.

I wish my doctor at the time would have urged me to pick Bypass over lapband back in 2004.

Not trying to change your mind, but if you get the sleeve and don't get GERD, then yes it doesn't matter about being irreversible. However, if you get GERD or, worst case, really bad GERD, then the sleeve being irreversible is going to mean a whole lot. There are people who get a revision from sleeve to RNY. And if you develop GERD that will be one of the very choices you have to remedy that GERD.

I hear you on the GERD. I guess I just feel like that you can always move to the RNY from the sleeve, but there's not much that can be done if you start with the RNY and it doesn't work out. Anyway, I don't have GERD or any comorbidities, so I think I'm probably a good candidate for the sleeve -- though, I am concerned I'll lose less weight. I have about 120 lbs to lose.

I really wish my surgeon had told me about the downside to having type 2 diabetes or acid reflux and how terribly wrong the sleeve is for people like me

I know this is an old thread but as I am currently considering revising from a band to RNY it is really interesting.

I find it odd that people will happily have a sleeve wherein a huge portion of their stomach is chopped off and thrown away but they fear the bypass. Personally I think that sleeves, like bands, have had their moment . Whilst they are effective for some there seem to be a lot of people that dont lose or regain and apparently reflux is a major issue.

My surgeon explained in detail why he thought that for me an RNY would be a better and safer long term option and what he said made sense.

Now I just need to get my head around the idea of having another weight loss surgery.

Nope when I told my last one and the creator of Precious Pouch, he approved, think he thought I made the correct choice. An FYI, I had absolutely no gas, not then, nary a root. You don't suppose he did it FreeHand, do you? My liver was nice, smooth and small, but surely OSU uses CO2 gas? Maybe they extract it back out, because my belly was not the least bit blown up. Wonder if they took pictures, I would LOVE to see a video of ME.😝🌲😝🌹

I am still pre-op. I have an amazing surgeon, she performs both RNY and sleeve. Most of her patients choose sleeve surgery over RNY. She allows her patients to choose which surgery is best for them unless there are other health risk for one over the other. I am having a RNY because I am T1 diabetic and it will allow me to lose 70 % - 80% of my weight.

One of the reasons some doctors push RNY is it cost more than the sleeve. I think that is a shameful thing for them to do, but they still do it.

You may want to see another doctor. She may be at a center for excellence but that doesn’t mean anything. Good luck in your decision. Remember she works for you, not the other way around.