Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does anyone feel pressured by surgeon to have the bypass (instead of sleeve)

@@Mayastone

I am glad to hear you made a decision that you are comfortable with. I wanted to reach out again to simply say, don't worry so much about the dumping issue.

First, not everyone gets it. I don't. Not at all. I actually wish I did because it would definitely help keep me away from stuff I should not eat. Many people on this site don't dump. If you follow the food plan from the very beginning you will do great.

Second, I have read posts from sleevers who dump. There is a version of it even for them.

Third, if you are a dumper, you will learn what to stay away from and will adapt.

You will lose the weight you need to with bypass and will do great. As I think I said in my previous post, I planned to do the sleeve as well and was devastated when RNY was recommended for me. I am so very glad I had the bypass done and the only thing I regret is not doing it 15 years ago.

The best of luck to you and feel free to reach out with any questions you might have.

I wish I was pressured by my doctor when I first had WLS 15 years ago.I should of gone with the RNY.I went with the lapband.Fast forward....I am seeking revision to the RNY.

My doctor was trying to push the sleeve on my. Initially I wanted to sleeve but family members and friends had the 3 years ago and only lost 50-70 pounds and. I'm sorry if I go thru all this I wanna see the fruits of my labor. Plus I have acid reflux and a strong chance of type one and two dietbities because both parents have one of each. And my maternal gm. So I picks rny and seemed really mad I picked that over sleeve

I went in to the surgeon with the idea in the back of my mind that sleeve was safer,but told the surgeon I would leave the decision up to him. He said rny and explained the reasons it was safer AND more effective for me. I'm not sure I can recall exactly each reason but the amount of weight I need to lose was a contributing factor. I remember he said because I loved sweets was a reason, due to the malabsorption of the rny - fewer fats and carbs and calories can be absorbed. Also I have really bad arthritis and my excess weight is starting to really break down my bones - I need to lose as quickly as possible. Pain management doc said I would be in a wheelchair on morphine within a year unless I had bariatric surgery right away. Bariatric surgeon convinced me that the rny was safest and quickest way to do it. Said sleeve was more invasive because they cut and actually remove so much of your stomach and because of acid reflux that is often caused by the sleeve. He convinced me that is what I need but each person is different and each surgeon has a different way of evaluating a patient's needs.

Wow. That seems weird he would be mad you want rny over sleeve. Well, maybe not weird. Sometimes I've noticed doctors have problems with patients being their own advocates. What were his reason for wanting the sleeve? From what I hear the band and the sleeve are much less effective with more problems.

Very interesting. But that must be what he has seen with his patients. I have a very good friend who had the sleeve and he has done great with it. Has lost all his weight. Exercises all the time (because he likes it). His wife lost her weight by dieting and working out and I think they are having second childhoods because they just feel so great!

Hi Lynda

I would get a second opinion.Sounds weird to me.

I am not a Sleeve canidate due to GERD. However, the sleeve is pretty new as far as surgical procedures go (RNY was first done in the 1960s), and there is not a great deal of long term data in as of yet. Remember when everyone was jumping up and down about how wonderful the Lap Band was? Now look at the actual long term data, it gets worse for the Lap band every year. I think this is where Doctors who performed a lot of Lap bands only to see problems later on, are now sort of sticking with the procedure that actually has a long term history. We will all see how the sleeve does in another ten years. Once long term, statistically significant comparative studies come out. Much like the studies you can find today on the Lap bad Vs RNY.

@@Winkie thing is we don't have the stand alone data for sleeve as a wls but we do have it as part one of the ds wls and the surgery to remove the stomach in cancer patients and in both cases the data shows good things

However part one of the DS it just that, part one. After a year, the DS is completed, thus not yeilding any great long term data. Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to be argumentative. I've just done a great deal of reasearch, and while the sleeve is showing great results, it's going to be years before side by side studies can be done. In short, time will tell. I just remember how it seemed the whole world was RAH RAH Lap Band!!!!! OMG best thing ever.... yeah, that did not work out so well. For some people it did, and still does, however every year when more data comes out, things get worse for the lap band group, as a whole. The Lap band can at least be undone. If you have a sleeve, that's it, I mean, you can even get a RNY undone (it's extraordinarly rare, but surgically it can be done), but with a sleeve, The stomach is gone. So if in 10 years suddenly the results are getting worse over time, those people are out of luck. I guess to conclude, I say what I do out of an abundance of caution.

But why would having a smaller stomach ever be a bad thing? Even if it didn't work well for weight loss in the long run, what's the problem with having a smaller stomach? I can see why rerouting your digestive system would be a concern or why putting a foreign body in your body might be a concern -- but why is having a smaller stomach a concern? No, you can't get the portion of your stomach they removed back -- but why is this not good?

Sleeves can have ulceration so and leakage.Something t consider

But why would having a smaller stomach ever be a bad thing? Even if it didn't work well for weight loss in the long run, what's the problem with having a smaller stomach? I can see why rerouting your digestive system would be a concern or why putting a foreign body in your body might be a concern -- but why is having a smaller stomach a concern? No, you can't get the portion of your stomach they removed back -- but why is this not good?

GERD is particularly bad in the Sleeve group. As said above leaks. I'll have between 100-150 staples used during my RNY, the Sleeve gets something like 600, they make six rows of sleeves and cut off the last one., Stomach stretching back out. If a RNY patient can stretch a stomach that starts off the size of your thumb, it's not a big jump to see Sleeves being super stretched, over time. The RNY is a very safe, very well understood surgery. They have been doing them since the 1960s (they killed a lot of people working out the kinks so to say) but today, it's routine. Outcomes, very long term are predictable, as there is great data very long term. No one knows what is going to happen to a sleeve patient at 20 years as there is no group to study. I suppose it falls under the category of the evil that you know is sometimes better than the evil you don't know.