Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Training for a triathlon...

I did my first fartlek tonight. I have a very good friend who was a college track star and just missed an olympic berth in 2000. He has asked about my progress and I told him of my struggles with the run. He sent me an email with the following intructions:

Beginning this week go over to the hs track and do the following:

Week #1

You are going to do 4 "Hard" 400's (1 lap) and 4 "Easy" 400's. The hard should be faster each time so that when you finish you are winded and need to walk just a bit to catch your breath. Between each hard lap, you do an easy lap where you jog / walk to recover. I'd like your last hard 400 to be all out so you cross the finish line TIRED and out of gas.

It would help me if you would time just your 4 hard ones and email to me. Then I can better tailor your week #2 workout.

I did it this evening. My times we 1) 2:00:38 2) 2:14:30 3) 2:15:69 4) 2:38:47 As you can see, my final lap was not my fastest. I ran all out for 1/2 lap and had to walk. I was winded!!! I did run the last 100 yds all out. I rode my bike to and from the hs for my warm up/down. It whooped me, but I feel great an hour later!!! I'll let you know what he recommends for next week. I've also asked him how often I should be doing this.

I am committed to bringing my time down!!!!

Chris:

I just started doing this kind of thing to. Every Weds i work out with a USA Triathlete coach and we do this kind of thing. I only did it one week so far but honestly...when i ran a 5k the next day i felt like i could run a little faster! Interval training is important. In the pool too.

If you just run 30mins at the same speed every day you wont ever get any faster type theory.

The rest of the week i do just run 5k or 10k or whatever but the interval training once a week is key i think.

Today I did my run on the treadmill because it's gunna be a humid day. So anyways I get really bored on that thing, running to nowhere. I had some good music going, Eminems Lose it, and I was imagining what it would be like at the Triathlon. I was at the 1.95 mile mark and realized I would be seeing the finish line by that point. I actually heard the cheering, and folks urging me on to finish. I started to cry and had to "mop the sweat away" to mask the tears. It was so emotional. I hope on the day I will be able to hold it together. Sometimes I can't believe I'm really doing this.

Ya Im such a girl.

Amanda!! Get articale!!! i think i will use that Fartlek stuff!!Thanks.

Thanks for being so honest about your treadmill experiance today. Go look at some UTube Triathlon videos one of them has that song on an articale about Triathlons...its super insperational!!!

Yeah youll cry like a baby..dont worry about it....its an amazing thing finishing your first one....nothing in the world like it!!!!! One hint...make sure someone is there at the end of it for you...none of my family could make my first one and its THE most important. Was kind of a bummer going home.

I was all emotional on my first real 5k event. now i just run my ### off on them.

Amanda,

Even I got emotional!!! Once I saw the finish line, the lump in my throat got so big!!! I actually did it!!! You will have that same overload of adrenaline! Let it out!! I believe that I am finally one of the 3% of people in the world who do the things that unsuccessful people are unwilling to do. I don't know if any of you are familiar with the 3% rule. Only 3 % of us are willing to step outside of the box and create for ourselves and the rest of the world. Each of us on this journey has done something incredible! The LB journey alone puts us in the 3%, what does the triathlon journey do for us? You can't believe the looks and reactions that you will get from people who appear to be normal weight and somewhat fit, when they learn that you have done a triathlon. There are incredulous! No one has ever discounted the reality of what I have accomplished, but many have a doubt for a moment. I have an iPhone. My pictures are stored on the phone. When I share them with people, they know it is real.

I biked 4 miles tonight and ran 2. I feel great!! In Utah, the 24th of July is a state holiday (Pioneer Days) to commemorate the settling of the Utah territory by the Mormon Pioneers in 1847. There are marathons, 10Ks and 5Ks. I don't get the day off, but I have taken a vacation day on that day so that I can run another 5K. My brother and I will do it and I expect my time will be much better than the 4th of July and certainly better than last week's run at the tri. Fartlek and interval training are very important. I'm glad I've added them to my routines.

Think about the people you may be inspiring. Some you will never know looked up to you to motivate them. Others like the Quality Manager at my work and my brother have let me know that they have been inspired to take it up or tri again. I may have some company at next month's tri. The Quality Manager did 3 tris last year and a marathon. He's done nothing this year. Last week he pulled out his bike after talking to me. Today he mentioned that he might join me next month. These are very powerful things we are doing for ourselves and others! Great job guys! Keep up the great work and keep TRIing.

Edited by UT LB Loser

I went rock climbing for the first time tonight. It was fantastic!! I never would have done this a year ago. Perhaps not even a month ago.

I'm a 3%er

Amanda, only 24 days until Bermuda! How exciting! Do you have a new bathing suit? What an added bonus to your journey!!! You will have more self confidence than ever and guys will be checking you out! We look even if your husband is around!!! You go girl!!!!

woooo hooo Amanda! You ROCK! lol! Good for you.

Chris! that was a great post! I really enjoyed the 3% rule. Alot of people have told me i am very inspiring. I know there are Lapbanders on here like boo boo kitty that inspired me when i first got my band.

My Triathon session got canned last night because of a thunder storm so i went to the YMCA instead. I wanted to try the fart thing

So i ran at 5mph to warm up for 10 mins. Then did 5 mins at 7mph then 5min at 5.0 and 5 at 7.0mph and so on for 45 mins....WOW! it was so cool to go 7.0mph for 5 mins

Thanks to you Amanda! :)!

Then i swam for 45 mins.

I did a Brick today. Thank my lucky stars that my husband came with me, or I would have dropped to my knees and become road kill. My legs were rubber. About a half mile in my legs were pretty ok again. Then my bowels just wanted to let loose. I know that is gross but none the less true. I think it was because it is hot & humid and my first brick. Im not looking forward to that again.

you know...i get the bowel problem to when i run along way. I wish i knew how to stop.

Not gross!

Bricks are hard! My worst ever was last weeks Duathlon. 5k run that started uphill 1/2mile straight up..after the hard 20mile bike the same uphill 5k to do. I about died. but as you can tell i didnt. Kudos for taking your husband with you!! Smart Lass!

Hey guys, I have come up with a great new saying, and I did it all by myself!!!! Here goes.... "If at first you don't have speed, Tri, Tri again!!!" If you quote me, make sure to give me props!!!! :-)

Chris that is great.

I have a Tshirt that says "I tri therefore I am"

I did interval training this morning. Ran just over 2 miles. Rode 15.2 miles this afternoon. It is hot here. That may be the reason I felt like it kicked my tail. Then again, my iPod shuffle battery died 2 miles into the ride. I guess I should charge it once in a while. Good music sure breaks up the training and motivates me. I love a hard rock song when I'm riding. Autograph's "Turn up the Radio" is a favorite. Anything by Ozzy gets me going as well. I really love running to Meatloaf's "I'd do anything".

I have added a training tab to my LB Goals spreadsheet. I am tracking my Swim, Bike, and Runs as well as the courses I'm using. I really should have been measuring this all along.

My first mile this morning was under 12 minutes. Concentrating on the run was a wise move!! I think I will see a big improvement in Thursday's 5K time.

Hope you are having a great weekend - I AM!!!!