Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Training for a triathlon...

i signed up for another Triathlon today in aug 22

SO it looks like this

July 12th Duathlon

Aug 22 Triathlon

September 14th Duathlon

That's awesome Whosya!!! You really have the bug!

I will be running an organized 5K next Friday at a local Community festival for the 4th of July. I challenged my brother to do a tri with me when I saw him last Sunday. He said No. He said he was only running right now. So I challenged him to run a 5K. Again he said No. He called me on Monday while I was at work. He said, "I accept your challenge!" I asked him when we were going to do it. He wants to do it on the 4th. I am physched!!! I hope he catches this bug too!!!

We met yesterday morning and ran the course. He whooped me! He did it in 37:25 and I did it in 41:47. I have 3 yrs and still a few pounds on him! And I am still recovering from my first Triathlon last week! I know, lame excuses!~ I will just TRI harder. Actually, I couldn't care too much who has the better time. I am glad he is doing it, and I am so happy that I have changed my life so that exercise is now IMPORTANT to me.

I rode 16 miles yesterday and think I may have overdone it. My thighs and calves are super sore today. Taking a break day is important!!

I did take the day off from training today.

I went to the funeral for my fellow triathlete that drowned last Saturday. I did learn that he had aspirated Water. No heart attack or stroke was noted. He was kept on a respirator until Tuesday. He was a organ (heart) donor. It was good for me to go and have some "closure" - if that is ever possible. I realized that he was someone I would have really liked to have known.

What a week!!!

Wow sorry about your Traithlon friend!

I too am running an organized 5k on July 4th! yah.

Your times will come down so dont worry. My best 5k is 28.26 so far and im right at 270 pounds right now. My first 5k in April was about 44 mins.

I ordered a nike plus sport band this week so im going to start using that and posting on there site too. If you dont know what it is go to http://nikeplus.nike.com/nikeplus/

Good Luck!!!

What kind of bike does everyone use? Road, mountain, cruising?

Just wondering

Edited by ajoneen

Amanda,

I bought a Felt Z70 Road bike. I also have a Mtn. Bike. I started out training on the mountain bike. As Whosya will also tell you, a mountain bike is fine to to a triathlon on, but you can get alot more speed and power in a road bike. They aren't cheap. Road bikes are very light weight compared to a mountain bike and geared so much differently. I rode 16 milles on a mountain bike a few weeks back. I'd much rather ride the road bike and leave the mountain bike for trails. Just my opinion.

I rode 15.5 miles this morning, even though I still had sore legs from Friday's ride. It is amazing how much better the legs felt after the ride. I am convinced that the stretching that takes place before and during the ride is the best therapy for me!!!! I just hope I can walk tomorrow!!! I'm not a fan of aspirin or ibuprofen on a regular basis. But I think a little more might help me cope until I am really in shape.

Isn't it amazing how much fitter you seem to be by just a little workout? I never thought I'd be training for a 5K and my second Tri. Here I am. The band has helped me change my life in so many ways!!!!!

Send me a note at miagiman@aol.com and I'll send you a chart that I created to map my weight loss and goals. It continues to inspire me everytime I fill it out!!!

Happy TRI-ing!!!!

Hi all! I love my new life of training for a triathlon and 5ks. I want to run/walk an 8k end of July then on Sept. 6 sign up for a sprint tri. It asks on the entry form for my time for the swim. I am not a really strong swimmer and want to really improve. My question, should I overestimate, underestimate, or time myself on Monday and give that time? I am done questioning myself, I WILL enter, I am just petrified I'll be the last one. But I will always remember that riddle:

Q: "What do they call the last person who finishes a triathlon?"

A " A triathlete!

Yeah i hope i can get a road bike soon but for now i have to stick with my moutain bike. It just funds really. If your going to go for a road bike that will last you gotta spend 700-1000. Until i can get that together im staying with my 5yr old 500 buck moutain bike. I also feel kind of weird about being 270lbs and riding a road bike. Guess i need to get over that.

If you have a bike use it. DOnt worry about it. I can get about 18mph on my mountain bike but im sure i could get 25mph maybe out of a road bike??

There is also Hybrid bikes out there.

If you want a Triathlon bike look at 5000!!! No way i would pay that. Thats more than my motorcycle!

wnt2lose Time yourself. You will be seeded and start according to your time. If you start to early you will be run over by more powerful swimmers.

I am planning on my first Tri on July 19. Only thing holding me back is a problem in the ball of my left foot. I think it may be nerve related. I go see a dr next Monday, I'll know more then. Swimming and biking don't affect it any, but running could.

UT and daddy, we're all in the same range weight wise, so I'm shooting for you guys as competition/role models.:thumbs_up: Good luck on the runs on the 4th and the tri's on the 12th. I'll be thinking of you guys as I get ready for mine.

yeah Cera we are. I just cant seem to break through this 270 mark. Its been 269 a few times but im just seem to be stuck for now. I know im eating right and getting enough exercise...i guess it will move soon.

I ordered the Nike Plus sportband at the weekend if any of you want a little competetion take a look into it. Works with your ipod nano too but i just am anti Ipod.

On a positive note it sure did feel good to buy clothes in Old Navy at the weekend!!

I got a super boost today.

Towards the end of my ride I muscled up a steep (for me) grade. I was a little startled when another biker started to talk as I didn't even see him come up on me. He said I did a great job. That he has seen many a rider walk the bike up that hill.

WooHoo!!

Thanks!! That's really great coming from you.

O Amanda!I am not anything special!!! I am just busting my junk trying to burn all the too many calories i eat:)

Look at you!! you only got 69lbs to go!!!!!

I got 100 pounds prolly and they are going SLOW now!

It scares the crap out of me im almost the same weight as i was a month ago but my body is changing.

I cant WAIT till FRIDAY!!

6/28

Ok so I did a run through to get more accurate times.

2ml Run(more of a wog on the treadmill) 36mins

6mil bike 40min

400m swim 15min

7/3

So I did another 'time trial'

run-27min

bike-32min

swim- 12min

I know I can improve the bike and the swim. Probably the run.