Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Training for a triathlon...

3 days ajoneen and ceradad! I'm sure you're excited!!! You are exactly right, ajoneen! FOCUS! JFDI (Just Focus and Do It!!!).

You can and WILL do it! If you believe you can or believe you can't, you are right!!! You both know you CAN!! Good luck!!

A calm has settled over me.

I got to the pool this morning to finally swim when it was set to 50m. I thought I was going to freak out but I didn't. I did an easy swim (breast stroke 400m) and felt confident. Im only going to do an easy bike tomorrow around the park that the event will be located. I've been getting up earlier then normal so on Sat my body will not be in slumber shock. I figure I need to get up at 5am Sat to eat and have time to digest and get to the event. Pre race meeting is 7:15am.

You definitely want to arrive early! Setting up your transition area and familiarizing yourself with the layout of the transition routes will really benefit you. Depending on the number of participants, finding your bike can be challenging. Make sure you know which row you are running toward. I've never tried the helium balloon trick, but it would definitely help!!

Also, make sure you take care of restroom needs. The excitement may have you going more often Saturday morning!

Once you get there and get set up, do your best to relax and enjoy it! You will meet the coolest people and have a great time!!!

Do you remember what they call the last one across the finish line at a triathlon? The same as the first.. A Triathlete. You'll be joining the ranks!!! Congrats!

24 hrs from now I will be in the middle of my first triathlon!:biggrin: Can't wait. Last night I laid in bed envisioning the whole thing. Mentally practicing my transitions and figuring how to best go from bike to run w/o much cramping in the calves. I've been told by some friends to start stretching my calves as I get close to finishing my bike ride on the peddles. Seems to make sense. I'll give it a go and see how it works.

Not looking to set any time records, just want to finish.

Stopped by a dive shop in town yesterday to see if there was somewhere close to rent/buy a tri wetsuit. Guy had some shortie wetsuits on clearance. Bought an XXL wetsuit for under $50. Not the same as a tri wetsuit as it has short sleeves, but it'll do.

Don't worry about stretching your calves on the bike. If you have a bike computer (if not, they are only about $35), look at your mileage, and when you are about a mile out, start spinning at a higher cadence. This will loosen up any tight muscels, and it will get you ready to run. No matter what you do, your legs are going to feel extra heavy after the bike. You've just got to do it. :biggrin: Enjoy, and we want to hear all about it!

Thanks kagoscuba for the advice. I do have a computer. I'll do that. I've done that transition on my own and I know what to expect from the legs for about the first 1/4 mile or so. It's nice to get some advice from the tri vets on here.

I picked up my race packet and got my body markings. I felt a little weird walking in CVS to pick up a few things. I have the # on my R arm and L calf(calf has age too) in big black print.

When the guy was giving me the timing chip he started to explain how to use it and I just said "yep I've done it before". He seemed a little surprised.

Then I moved on to the next table for body marking and when they noticed the smiley face tattoo on my L ankle I said "yep it gives the guy swimming behind me something to look at". That got a good laugh.

I've been practicing my transitions. I think I'm pretty smooth. Just the lace tying on my shoes. Next time I am getting the lace locks.

Good luck Ceradad.

Meet you back here after the race to swap war stories.

PS I looked up my horoscope for tomorrow:

Daily Overview for August 2, 2008

Ah, what a perfect day! The day of the Dog combined with the impact of the elements makes this day the best day of the year for you. Take advantage of this in as many ways as you can, keeping in mind that focusing on your strengths will indeed create optimal results. Do not cower from new challenges today, as others will notice your energy.

How cool is that??

You guys are so ready!!!! I am jealous and wish I was doing one tomorrow too!!

Have you ever heard of Yankz? They replace shoelaces in running shoes. I have some and absolutely love them. Every triathlete should have them. They make transitions so fast!!! Imagine slipping on your shoes and having them as tight as when you tie them. Here's a link:

:::::::: Yankz! - Sure Lace System ::::::::::

Your local running shoe store should carry them.

Report back as soon as you are done racing!!! Good luck and JFDI!!!

I did it and I wasn't dead last.

Ok, update time. I took the swimming for granted. Dumb move. I was able to make it halfway to the turnaround point, started taking on Water and panicked. Called for the boats. Rested for a little bit and swam back to shore. Just didn't feel comfortable trying to push through it. Figured better safe than sorry.

Had to give up my chip since I did not complete the swim, but I decided I was going to finish it out and do the rest.

So, I did the 14.5 mile bike ride and 5k run after my failed swim attempt. I crossed the finish line in just over 1 hr 35 minutes including the swim attempt.

I felt like a failure for most of the bike ride. I could not believe I was so stupid to think training properly for the swim portion was ok. And, it wasn't. But, I know what to train for for next years event. There aren't any more this year I can make. So, it will be next year. And, I will do it.

Had fun though ultimately. Afterwards, I had to run to a one day softball tournament. I missed the first game due to the tri, but made it in time for the 2nd and 3rd games. Went 4-5 btwn the two games hitting for the cycle, including a BOMB my last at bat. I impressed myself with being able to just run to first, but to leg out a triple (legitimate) had the whole team going.:teeth_smile:

Overall, I attempted something that I never thought before this year was possible. I did not complete the whole thing, so I have unfinished business. I'll take care of that next year.

Congrats ajoneen.:rolleyes:

Don't be so hard on yourself Ceradad! You started!!!! I don't know if you have ever seen the following: DFL>DNF>DNS (Dead Freaking Last is greater than Did Not Finish is greater than Did Not Start!!!) Your time may not show up any where, so in effect you may be considered as last. You DID finish!!! And you certainly started!!! You know where your training needs focus for next time. Great job!!!

The swim portion has been talked about by me more in this thread because of the mental part. It does take the physical ability to swim, but the biggest hurdle is the mental aspect. "How do I deal with the panic?" The thoughts will come, but am I prepared to deal with them before they cause me to abort.

Have a great day knowing you are part of the 3% of people who actually make an effort and change the world!

Ceradad- That was a GREAT effort!! I don't think I would have been able to play 2 softball games yesterday after the Tri and never with your results.

Before the swim start I did some serious panic counseling with quite a few of my fellow first timers. Perhaps because I have done the swim leg before(relay back in 05) or because swimming is my strongest leg I was very calm and focused before and during the swim.

I did make the mistake of seating myself too far back in the start order. I underestimated my ability. I got stuck behind slower swimmers and actually just cruised. Lesson learned.

I checked out my time this morning. Drum roll................ 1:11.52 :teeth_smile:!!!

I surprised myself.

Chris and Amanda-

Thanks for the kind words. I came to grips during my ride yesterday that I had nothing to be ashamed of. I attempted something that none of my friends and coworkers have ever even thought of. In fact, whenever I bring up the subject of joining me, they laugh and say there is no way they could do it.

I figure I will just work on the swim over the winter in the pool at the gym and just make sure that 1/4 mile is nothing for me. I just overestimated what I could do in that area. Won't happen again.

Congrats on the great time Amanda.:teeth_smile:

yeah you guys are doing great!!!!!!!!!!!

I got two weeks before my next tri

I went OWS on lake maichigan on Sunday to practice. Wow it was so benifical to be able to practice in the waves with out feeling you being timed.

Tomorrow is my bandaversary! 180lbs gone!