Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Training for a triathlon...

whosyadaddy & Chris

Good Luck tomorrow !

I will send you some extra energy vibes in the AM.

Edited by ajoneen

Congrats on your improvements Amanda!!! Sounds like you are ready!!! Now JFDI!

I had set a goal of 40 minutes for my 5K tomorrow, but I realized that I wasn't asking myself to improve very much over my trial run on that same course. Last Friday I ran it in 41:40 secs. I have determined that seeing as it is only a run tomorrow, I will push myself! I now have a goal of 36 mins. flat. I really believe that most of what we are doing is mental. Just FOCUS and Do It. The FOCUS is so important.

Good luck to you, whosya. Your time is already better than mine! You'll do well.

Have a great 4th everyone!!!!

You made awesome improvements Amanda!!!

Chris...thanks and good luck to you! I am really going to try and push it this time. I got to watch i dont get a stitch from going too fast. MY best on a treadmill 5k is 28:26. Now i have trouble knowing if i am going fast enough when outdoors running so ill strap on my big stopwatch and check my times at the mile markers.

My nikeplus sportband might help but i am not used to it yet to use it for a race.

my weight this morning was coming up 266 but i think it really more like 269 ish.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!

I did it!! I ran my 1st organized 5K only event. My time was not exactly what I had hoped for. I did it in 38:41. That was better than my trial run on this course last week: 41:40. I actually walked a few times today. Last week, I didn't walk at all and still had a longer time. I had a difficult time with my FOCUS today. There were so many people, and when I got passed, I lost focus. Am I really doing another triathlon next week? Yep!!! Hard to fathom that right now.

Whosya, I'm sure you had a great time in your run. What was it?

Well done UT!!!!! That is a great itme for you first one. Plus your not used to it so the nerves and what to expect can freak u out a little.

Heres my Report:

OK Fox FireCracker 5k report:

This is near Appleton WI:

First Annual. SUPER EVENT

Beautiful 67F to stat and about 73F by finish line.

They had pizza, Apple Pie for free afterwards. They even had a Donut stop at the halfway point lol!

Sky Divers came in for the start. Good turnout. Plenty of Patriotic Music.

My time was 29:10

I ACTUALLY overtook people on this one!

sWay to run guys!!

Chris what you said about losing focus- I worry about that for my Tri. When Im in the Water Im fine but by the time Im on the run I know I will be at the back of the pack and Im afraid I will get discouraged.

Like I told my husband I can help the clean up efforts and collect the course markers on my way in. Im only half joking.

Thanks Amanda!! As for losing focus, I would have preferred to be running alone. Actually, I believe the run got better as the group thinned out and I was only running among the same few folks. They'd slow down and I'd pass or I'd slow down and they'd pass. That was easier than the first mile with the crowd, and it was slightly uphill. By the time I crested the hill and we turned downhill, the field was thin enough.

In my triathlon, I did focus on the run. I had already completed 2/3 of the thing. You will be just fine!!!

I am going to the course preview tomorrow. I am not going to go all out. I am going to enjoy this preview. Last time it was all so new. It is so much fun to be doing these things now. I wonder why I let half my life waste away before I started living again!!!

BTW, I went into see the nurse at my Dr. office yesterday. I didn't need a fill, but wanted to measure my progress. I had lost 7 lbs since 5/29. Weight loss has picked up again! I owe it to all of the physical activity. I know that I probably lost much more weight in fat, because I have added/toned some muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat. What a great benefit to working out!!

Happy Independence Day!!!!

I did the course preview yesterday for next Saturday's Tri. I really struggled mentally the night before and yesterday morning before the swim. I had not been back in the Water since my first tri and the trauma that took place in front of me. I kept seeing the man floating there. I pushed forward and did the swim preview. It really did help. I was very conscious on every breath, both inhaling and exhaling. The last thing I wanted yesterday was a mouthful of water. I did really well and by the end of the swim I was very comfortable in the water again. I have always felt very comfortable in the water until I witnessed this incident. Hopefully it has made me more aware of the dangers of the open water swim without causing long term phobias.

The bike portion was fantastic!!! I set a PR in the 20k. I did it in 41:33. I can even better than that time!!! I wasn't planning on doing the run course as I had run the 5K the day before. 2/3 of the way throught the bike, I decided I would do part of the run. I was feeling good. After the bike, I started out on the run and 100 yards into it developed severe cramps in my right calf. As it would spasm, I looked at the calf and could see the muscle pull inward. It hurt like hell!!! I had the same thing happen at my Tri. I also knew that they would go away if I kept moving. Much easier to think about moving than doing it with spasms!!! I did it! About 1/4 mile into the run/walk, the spasms quit. I decided to run/walk the entire thing. Suck it up!!

I spoke to the trainer who was putting on the preview about my cramps. He told me to ice my calves. I had been soaking in my jacuzzi tub with hot water after previous episode. He said that was opposite of what I should do. He said that ice would remove the swelling that is causing the cramps. Duh!! Athletes ice after games for that very reason. Heat causes more swelling. I came home and took an ice bath. Ouch!!!! But it worked! No pain in my legs at all. I did develop a twitch in my neck yesterday afternoon. Guess I'm pushing my body like I haven't for a long time. It wants rest. Today it gets total rest!!!

I am very excited for next Saturday!!! This is such a great rush!!!!!

Have a great day!

Chris that was a triumph. Working through the mental challenges of the swim and it's great that you didn't let the leg get the better of you. Sounds like a competitive athlete to me.

Yes ice,ice,ice. And stretch, stretch,stretch.

For me it was a rest day. I didn't know how hard I was working my body. I took a two hour nap today. Im surprised that every part of my feels good. No muscle aches. Which mean no excuses.

Happy training to all!!

Good job on the trainning. Glad you got back into the water!

I have a Duathlon on Sat to do. Its really going to be a long one.

5k run 30k bike 5k run.

I ran a 10k on Sunday with my new Nikeplus sportband that worked great.

Here is a pic from my 5k. (I am the one in the dark blue)

post-220194-13813137289074_thumb.jpg

I've heard good things about the Nike+band. Also I love tech toys, it keeps me interested. Maybe I will get one as a reward for finishing the Tri.

Amanda. I like it logs my runs and i can compete my ppl of my ability on the nike plus website.

was $59. A fathers day present. :tt1:

Whosya (what's your first name anyway?) and Amanda, Have you each set goals for time in the 5 timed areas for your triathlons? I am considering different goals but don't have them set yet. I do know that I want to improve in all of the times, especially the transitions. My first transition was marred by the whole drowning episode, so I know I will improve it alot. My time was 5:38.5. Just don't know what is realistic. My second transition was 2:24.9. I definitely would like to get under 2 minutes. I really believe that I can do my Sprint in 1:45:00 (105 mins). That means cutting out 17 mins from my first tri. Here's what my current thinking is: Swim - 20 mins., T1 - 3 mins., Bike - 41 mins., T2 - 2 mins., Run - 37 mins. That totals up to 103 mins. I think I will leave the goal at 105 mins because of the questions I have of how fast I really can do T1 in. Yes, I have practiced it, but there is still the variable of the wetsuit, fatigue from the swim, etc...

Anyway, I thought perhaps you may have some input on my thought process. Help is always appreciated!!!!

Hmm my T1 and T2 were both waaaay high. It was pouring with rain and i wanted to change my shoes and socks which took alot of time. I wa in the 4min range. I sse ppl in 45seconds!

MY 5k tie is down around 28 -29 mins now. MY bike time was good but a road bike would help i think.

And swim is swim...i can swim fast it just depends on the temp.

Now Duathlon is all diif. No clothing change needed at all. Just pop on the helmet.

Jon is my name btw.