Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

UK forum users



Recommended Posts

Going abroad for surgery but I'm a bit worried about post-op diet / Vitamins etc. How best can I plan what foods work for me and what supplements are best to take without an NHS nutritionist?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey all, I am a newbie both to WLS and to the forum. I am struggling with nausea and pain at the moment and it’s really bringing me down. I am pleased I went ahead with the surgery but I hadn’t appreciated fully how slow the recovery is 😞

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, JaneW24 said:

Hey all, I am a newbie both to WLS and to the forum. I am struggling with nausea and pain at the moment and it’s really bringing me down. I am pleased I went ahead with the surgery but I hadn’t appreciated fully how slow the recovery is 😞

How far out are you Jane? Everyone heals at different rates remember. I had to stay in the hospital for longer as I couldn't even sip Water & kept being sick. The 1st few days back home I felt beyond exhausted, sore & irritable. The minute I managed to start moving more & drinking Protein rich fluids in larger quantities the better I started to feel. Hang in there!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks so much, it’s comforting to know it’s not just me. I had a MGB in 17 November and came home from hospital on Thursday, so this is day 4 for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't worry Jane - if you're like me, you won't be feeling pants for too long.

I had the surgery 2.5 years ago. I'm 8 stone down, enjoy eating small portions of tasty food and I regularly run 5km - sometimes 10km. The temporary nausea and discomfort after the op was absolutely worth it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi everyone ,

Nice to see a UK thread , find it hard seeing all recommendations and then not being able to get things here in the UK

Im Leeds based and having nhs sleeve on 10th may fingers crossed as it's dependant on hdu beds ! Had it cancelled twice due to covid. Both times I was part way through the pre op diet .

Trying not to worry to much but you see so many issues on the forums that it's difficult not to

Hayley

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 5/6/2021 at 10:00 PM, Hayleychapp said:

Hi everyone ,

Nice to see a UK thread , find it hard seeing all recommendations and then not being able to get things here in the UK

Im Leeds based and having nhs sleeve on 10th may fingers crossed as it's dependant on hdu beds ! Had it cancelled twice due to covid. Both times I was part way through the pre op diet .

Trying not to worry to much but you see so many issues on the forums that it's difficult not to

Hayley

I'm in the north east - also really glad to see all you UK lot!

How did it go Hayleychapp??

I'm scheduled for 12th June with Mr Balapuri at Spire Washington.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi ,

Surgery went ahead and all is well , coming to the end of liquid phase now and ready to start puree .

Research on food can be abit frustrating as alot of the suggestions on here are for American products that we can't get , they seem to have so many more options than us .

Getting slight heartburn the past few days.

I found after the surgery I had to be quite on the ball in requesting meds for prescription such as prescribed Vitamins , meds to help bowels etc . So maybe do your research and then ask for what you need ( I have a pre paid subscription for a year so works out cheaper than buy over the counter )

Good luck with your surgery

Xx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all, great to have a uk feed, as most are from America. I’m in the north-east had my RNY at sunderland royal with mr small on january 25th 2021. Iv lost 42 pounds so far but been at a stall for the past 4 weeks, don’t know what i’m doing wrong, any advice ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can anyone please tell me which the Centrum Advance chewables are as I have found the Fruity chewables and the Multigummies but neither say Advance? I’m in England. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 6/3/2021 at 7:13 PM, CLC1981 said:

Hi all, great to have a uk feed, as most are from America. I’m in the north-east had my RNY at sunderland royal with mr small on january 25th 2021. Iv lost 42 pounds so far but been at a stall for the past 4 weeks, don’t know what i’m doing wrong, any advice ?

Hello CLC I had mine this week just down the road at Washington, most of the staff also work on the Sunderland service. Have you spoken to the dietitian about your stall? (Or better still, broken it?!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Becboop said:

Can anyone please tell me which the Centrum Advance chewables are as I have found the Fruity chewables and the Multigummies but neither say Advance? I’m in England. Thanks!

Hello, I don't know if they exist, the boots website says advance in the text even though the bottle doesn't. I was told not to take gummies but I would much rather it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Hayleychapp said:

I'm prescribed forceval tablets via gp, instead of Centrum but they aren't chewable ( I now pay a years prescription so covers all meds and makes it cheaper in long run )

Yes the prescription certificate is great value! Do you get the dissolvable forceval or regular tablets?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Trending Products

  • Trending Topics

  • Recent Status Updates

    • Hesitant but hopeful

      Hey October Surgery friends...how are you doing? I've lost 15 lbs since surgery on 18th.42 lbs overall. Wearing clothes that feel great. Had a bout of cold and stomach flu and still having some nausea off and on after that but getting better, I think. 
      Seems like I fill up and have minor pain quicker when I eat hot foods rather than cold. Anyone else notice this?
      Still sooo glad I did this.
      · 2 replies
      1. Bettyboop56

        I had surgery Oct 29. Lost 35#. Plateau now. But seeing what clothes fit now is encouraging.

      2. Bettyboop56

        My surgery was 10/19. #40 down since surgeon pre op visit. Getting close to end of soft foods. I think only issue going to regular foods is portion size. So far trying a new food every day. With no issues.

    • Merri Beth  »  SamaLotus

      Hi I just saw that you are in Las Vegas too. We are going to the same center. Dr Laduc in same office as Dr Atkinson, is doing my sleeve on Nov. 28th.  I wish you the best!
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Jessica100858

      24 days and counting down til surgery 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Bunny78

      Just over 2 weeks post-op….I’m getting there
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Voogs  »  KimA-GA

      always look forward to your updates, Hope you are well.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
  • Recent Topics

  • Hot Products

  • Sign Up For
    Our Newsletter

    Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

    PatchAid Vitamin Patches

    ×