Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

UK forum users

I was told by my surgeon that his NHS waiting list was three years, he did my operation privately within 4 months of my initial consultation and that was only that long because he gave me two months of that to quit smoking. I know it is a lot of money to go down this route but for me it has been worth every penny.

4 hours ago, Peonie said:

I was told by my surgeon that his NHS waiting list was three years, he did my operation privately within 4 months of my initial consultation and that was only that long because he gave me two months of that to quit smoking. I know it is a lot of money to go down this route but for me it has been worth every penny.

Thank you all for your replies they are so helpful. I was pretty certain that I’d most likely need to go the privately funded route and hearing your experiences has cemented that for me ☺️ I know our NHS is overwhelmed with everything at the moment so I wasn’t all that comfortable with trying to get surgery funded anyway. I am based in the East Midlands - any particular group people would recommend (looking at Transform currently)

Thanks again for your replies, it’s been great reading through this forum and all the support given is wonderful 🥰

You need somewhere close to you as you will have many visits back and forth. I go back every month to be weighed and chat to the dietician. I get lots of advice on foods to try and when to take the next step etc. I went to a Spire Hospital near Leeds so its not useful to you but they are everywhere. I paid £11,000 for a 2 year package. I know they do 0% finance. Good luck and keep us posted

Hi Nat

theres so many great private options in the U.K.

and yes it’s a lot of money! And a loan I will be paying for the next three years. But I’m so happy! I don’t regret it one bit. (Had my surgery July 2021 and i reached target weight feb 5th - total loss of 6 stone)
i got a loan via my bank as the finance offering was better than the finance options the hospital was doing. So I would say just shop around for that.

also I interviewed three surgeons from three of the top named hospitals before I decided which one I felt was best for me.
so spend some time researching the market.

I went with Mr Sutton at woodlands hospital - part of the Ramsey group. I’ve had no problems at all. After care team was top level, no complications, surgery was quick, team were amazing. No complaints one bit!!

i highly recommend. Paid £10k with 2 years after care from surgeon and team and a lifetime support line (dietitian)x

12 hours ago, Natty278 said:

Thank you all for your replies they are so helpful. I was pretty certain that I’d most likely need to go the privately funded route and hearing your experiences has cemented that for me ☺️ I know our NHS is overwhelmed with everything at the moment so I wasn’t all that comfortable with trying to get surgery funded anyway. I am based in the East Midlands - any particular group people would recommend (looking at Transform currently)

Thanks again for your replies, it’s been great reading through this forum and all the support given is wonderful 🥰

Please see my post further down -forgot to mention I’m also Easy Midlands and Woodlands is based in Kettering on A14.

Hi all, this is my first post, but I've been reading lots on the site over the past few weeks and months - it's been so helpful!

I'm booked in for a VSG next week, and up until now I've been really excited for it and feeling positive. However as of this morning I feel really anxious, have cried a few times and feel generally really unsettled. I think i'm scared that something is going to prevent me from being able to have surgery, and I can't snap out of it.

I wondered if anyone else had felt like this, and/or had any tips to help me get refocused into a positive frame of mind?

Hi all, this is my first post, but I've been reading lots on the site over the past few weeks and months - it's been so helpful!

I'm booked in for a VSG next week, and up until now I've been really excited for it and feeling positive. However as of this morning I feel really anxious, have cried a few times and feel generally really unsettled. I think i'm scared that something is going to prevent me from being able to have surgery, and I can't snap out of it.

I wondered if anyone else had felt like this, and/or had any tips to help me get refocused into a positive frame of mind?

Hi@Woodstock23,

I hope you're well [emoji16]. I'm booked in for a gastric bypass on the 24th and I'm feeling exactly the same way. I'm worried it will not take place but also a bit scared of having the surgery [emoji85]. I'm doing my best to keep my mind busy so that I don't worry too much. I've been reading 'Life after gastric surgery' and it has been really helpful, I'm watching 'My 600lb life' and getting the house organised so I can be less stressed over housework after surgery [emoji1787][emoji23] where are you having your surgery? Keep smiling how've got this [emoji3059]

Sent from my SM-G980F using BariatricPal mobile app

2 hours ago, Nikki@50 said:

Hi@Woodstock23,

I hope you're well . I'm booked in for a gastric bypass on the 24th and I'm feeling exactly the same way. I'm worried it will not take place but also a bit scared of having the surgery . I'm doing my best to keep my mind busy so that I don't worry too much. I've been reading 'Life after gastric surgery' and it has been really helpful, I'm watching 'My 600lb life' and getting the house organised so I can be less stressed over housework after surgery where are you having your surgery? Keep smiling how've got this

Hi Nikki - thanks for the kind words! I'm also concentrated on doing stuff around the house; even painted a bathroom today to have a project to keep me busy ;-) I'm definitely feeling better than I was this morning, so will aim to keep distracting myself for the next few days.

My surgery is at the Spire Hospital in Edinburgh - they've been great so far, with lots of information which does help to calm me down. Where are you having your treatment?

All the best for your last few weeks pre-surgery!

Hi Nikki - thanks for the kind words! I'm also concentrated on doing stuff around the house; even painted a bathroom today to have a project to keep me busy ;-) I'm definitely feeling better than I was this morning, so will aim to keep distracting myself for the next few days.

My surgery is at the Spire Hospital in Edinburgh - they've been great so far, with lots of information which does help to calm me down. Where are you having your treatment?

All the best for your last few weeks pre-surgery!
I'm having my operation at the Spire hospital Bristol. You're right they do give you lots to read [emoji1787][emoji23]. My emotions are all over the place at mo. Do we still have to isolate for a fortnight before the op or has that changed? I've been gardening all day to keep myself busy. You could put together a pamper box in readiness for after surgery ( face masks, bubble bath, bath bombs, hair mask, magazines etc). You could get a notebook and the first page could be a photograph of you now and list around it all the reasons why you want to lose weight. Second page could be your hopes and dreams for the new slim you. Third page could be a weightloss chart, fourth a no scale victory page etc etc. Just a few ideas to keep you smiling [emoji4]. X

1 hour ago, Nikki@50 said:

I'm having my operation at the Spire hospital Bristol. You're right they do give you lots to read . My emotions are all over the place at mo. Do we still have to isolate for a fortnight before the op or has that changed? I've been gardening all day to keep myself busy. You could put together a pamper box in readiness for after surgery ( face masks, bubble bath, bath bombs, hair mask, magazines etc). You could get a notebook and the first page could be a photograph of you now and list around it all the reasons why you want to lose weight. Second page could be your hopes and dreams for the new slim you. Third page could be a weightloss chart, fourth a no scale victory page etc etc. Just a few ideas to keep you smiling . X

Great minds think alike :-) - I've already started a journal with my weight and measurements, my reasons for wanting to do this etc, and I've taken some photos just before I started the pre-surgery diet. I love the idea of including space for some NSVs so I will definitely add that in, thanks!

With regards to isolation, I've been told to isolate for three days prior, and am going in on Monday for a covid test. Fingers and toes crossed for a negative, I'd be devastated if the surgery can't go ahead as planned..!

Great minds think alike :-) - I've already started a journal with my weight and measurements, my reasons for wanting to do this etc, and I've taken some photos just before I started the pre-surgery diet. I love the idea of including space for some NSVs so I will definitely add that in, thanks!

With regards to isolation, I've been told to isolate for three days prior, and am going in on Monday for a covid test. Fingers and toes crossed for a negative, I'd be devastated if the surgery can't go ahead as planned..!

I'll keep everything crossed for you. I've completed the pre op questionnaire and I'm now waiting for my covid test date. I'm so glad it's only 3 days isolation. Please keep in touch, we could support each other through the tough times [emoji847]

9 hours ago, Nikki@50 said:

I'll keep everything crossed for you. I've completed the pre op questionnaire and I'm now waiting for my covid test date. I'm so glad it's only 3 days isolation. Please keep in touch, we could support each other through the tough times

That sounds great - will do!

On 3/20/2022 at 10:16 AM, Nikki@50 said:

Hi Woodstock23,

I've been thinking about you, hope you're ok .

Hi Nikki - sorry I've been quiet on here, had a weird few weeks! My original surgery date (10th March) was cancelled as my surgeon got covid, and then my new daye (7th April) has had to be cancelled as I tested positive earlier this week. I now can't have surgery for 7 weeks, so looks like the earliest I'll be in is mid-May.

I'm absolutely gutted and having to try and re-set myself!

Hope you're doing ok? Did your surgery go ahead as planned?

Hi Nikki - sorry I've been quiet on here, had a weird few weeks! My original surgery date (10th March) was cancelled as my surgeon got covid, and then my new daye (7th April) has had to be cancelled as I tested positive earlier this week. I now can't have surgery for 7 weeks, so looks like the earliest I'll be in is mid-May.

I'm absolutely gutted and having to try and re-set myself!

Hope you're doing ok? Did your surgery go ahead as planned?
Awe no! I'm gutted for you. Try to think that it's only a four weeks until May and it will soon be here. Sending you a hug xx