Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Much Do/Did You Know About Nutrition?

Okay, we’re all here because we struggled with (or struggle with) food. Most of us have probably spent a good portion of our lives thinking about food. But how much did you know about nutrition before considering weight loss surgery? Did you know which foods are low-calorie, and which are likely to make you hungrier? Or were you clueless?

Now that you’ve started thinking about WLS or you’ve had it, how much would you say you know about nutrition? Do you feel like it is enough?

I don’t know a whole lot. I think it is “enough,” but I wouldn’t mind knowing a little more. I know how to recognize a lean Protein, and I know that vegetables and fruit are good, and I know that Portion Control is necessary. Beyond that, I’m not an expert on nutrients, so I just hope I’m getting a well-rounded diet.

I think fat people know a lot more about nutrition than people give us credit for. I knew all about carbs and fat and how horrible they are. I used to work in healthcare- and have seen firsthand the results of long term obesity has on the body. Most of us have all seen the food documentaries -super size me ..etc..I know it's bad, but food is so plentiful and delicious that it was hard to change. Portion size has been the key for me. I still can't believe how much people eat and think it's normal. I can't believe how huge kids meals are.

What has recently surprised me is how bad sugar is and just how unregulated the industry has become. Although every decade it's a new vice, we had it wrong so many times before- I remember the margarine is better than butter craze---it wasn't. There is a lot of trust issues when it comes to food science, I don't think they have figured it out yet.

I've been dieting since I was 18. I could write the book on proper nutrition. But knowing it and doing it are two different things.

I also could probably tell you about the nutrition and science or lack thereof behind every diet plan out there.

I grew up on a farm where we grew our own vegetables and fruits, had our own meat, etc., But that doesn't mean I actually followed a decent plan.

I don't know nearly enough. I mean I know the basics but what I think has never sunk in is how the actual nutrition can affect my body and how to put together a healthy meal especially post-op and why those choices make sense. I personally want something more than just a "plan" but some sort "whys" behind the "whats" (if that makes sense). I have a friend who had sleeve about 4 months before my RNY and she is at a complete loss it seems and the surgeon's office is in no way offering the kind of support needed. I think we should have to agree to attend NUT visits for say 6 months (once per month) after surgery to make sure someone is seeing our food logs and holding us accountable.

I knew a lot about nutrition, at least based on conventional nutrition guidelines. Apparently, what I knew, and had been advised to do through years of dieting, was ineffective and in some cases wrong.

I have an awesome surgeon and NUT and have learned so much from them. I think my surgeon's lecture on nutrition should be worth some college credit. I learned so much from him.

I knew some but after I learned a lot more because I was forced to. The nutritionist they had was asking on the web for help because she couldn't help. So I had to learn.

Now I find some incredible ideas on food from all different surgeons' offices that people post. As long as you can recognize lean Proteins, veggies and then some fruit, an occasional small treat, that's the main thing.

I see a lot of "ideas" put into peoples' heads that are really sad. Veggies, especially with Fiber, are good things. Yes they might have calories but the less Fiber in your diet the greater the chance of colon cancer. Its already been hinted at in at least one study on us (if memory serves). There is little rational thought done to this area because the $$$$ are in the surgeries.

I feel like a knew a good bit about nutrition in general but this process has really made me look at things more closely, not just calories.

I thought I knew a lot before starting this process because I had tried every diet there was. I knew which ones worked for me and which did not.

That being said, I have learned so much more over the past two years. I realize I hardly knew anything and what I did know I struggled to follow. 2 years prior to my surgery I gave up trying to lose weight and guess what I put on more weight. Ugh!

I feel like I know enough to be successful at this point but would love to learn even more. I never want to go back to where I was.

As others have said, I thought I knew a lot about nutrition pre-op. But it wasn't enough.

What I focused on before WLS was calories and fats (by which I mean low fat foods). I certainly did not eat enough Protein pre-op. And I ate too much sugar (ice cream) and and too many slider foods (particularly chips), which are nutritionally worthless and screwed up my body's insulin production.

I have come to appreciate post-op far more than I did pre-op that all calories aren't the same in that my body responds quite differently (weight-wise) to Proteins, high-fiber carbs, sugars, and (probably also) fats.

My current challenges are to:

* Eat more colored veggies and low-sugar fruits -- and a greater variety of them

* Eat more plant Proteins (Beans, nuts, seeds, etc.)

* Drink enough Water (not just liquids)
* Eat fewer sugar treats (ice cream is feeling dangerous again)
* Eat more "healthy" oils

What I do well is to:

* Take my Vitamins / minerals / supplements daily

* Plan / track daily what I eat and drink

* Eat enough animal Protein

Good topic!

Yes, I knew a lot about nutrition and my 'core' diet has always been healthy - plenty of Protein, vegetables fruit etc. However, I always felt hungry, so although I tried to snack healthily I would be tempted by sweet things in particular.

Now I'm free of that permanent feeling of hunger it's so much easier to avoid the dangerous Snacks.

I thought I knew about nutrition, even though I may have chose to ignore it at times. I think part of the problem is that over the course of my life, the goal posts kept moving (eat this, not that..don't you know that's not good for you any more?).

I've said a number of times now to folks, it's taken me 51 years to learn how to eat right. Thank heaven for my sleeve ...and the nutrional guidance I've gotten. I "get it" now.

Edited by amazon

Thanks for your answers! I guess there are a few different groups! There are those who thought they knew and realized they didn’t. There are those who knew, but chose to ignore what was healthiest! And for all of us, there’s more to learn!

I took food and nutrition classes in high school along with cooking classes so I knew most of what I've been re learning lately but what I am learning new these days is how toxic sugar is and I never knew before becoming a diabetic how messed up the sugar lobby really is

How do we get back on track when we have had a WLS surgery? I been eating all the wrong foods and of course have put a lot of weight back on, I need to know how to get back on track?

Thank you.

I knew about nutrition and the right things/portions to eat.... from years of dieting.

But I just couldn't control my hunger.