Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Questions about meat and olive oil

Hi guys, I'm pre-op and trying to plan ahead what I can eat during the various phases after surgery. My nutritionist suggests sticking to foods with 10 grams of sugar or less and 5 grams of fat or less. But she also says olive oil is okay. Does that sound right to you guys? I'm hoping I can continue to use olive oil in salad dressings and to roast veggies. What's your experience been?

Also, I have questions about meat. When I'm back to solid food, do you know if 93 percent fat free ground turkey or chicken is okay? Or does it need to be 99 percent fat free? I tried making turkey burgers this weekend with the 99 percent and they were, understandably, pretty dry. I'm wondering if 93 and cooking them on a george forman grill might work? Also, if I roast a whole chicken, is it okay to eat some of the dark meat? Or should I stick to white meat only? I'm a little unsure because there's the under 5 grams of fat guideline, but I know baked salmon is supposed to be okay and that has more than 10 grams of fat per 4 oz filet.

This is the info my NUT gave me for my weeks 6-26 plan, at which point I'll see her again to modify. Of course, I'm sure others' guidelines will vary, but maybe this will help you a little:

-1Tbsp of olive oil per day is ok. So if I use it to make an oil/vinegar dressing on a salad for lunch, I'm not supposed to sautee my meats or roast my veggies with any for dinner. The only exception to this is if I'm over my 70g of Protein for the but very low on calories (<550), I can add an extra Tbsp in. I haven't had that happen yet.

-Any meat that's >90% lean (ground beef, chicken, turkey) is ok. And dark meat poultry is ok on my plan too.

Edited by WingFan55

From what i understand you want higher fats with a bypass than with a sleeve by far.

Also higher fat content in meat is not going to matter much after its cooked depending how you cook it as most fats will render out.

But the best answer i can give is stick to whatever plan your'e given by your surgeon and nut.

I don't see why olive oil wouldn't be okay. I would say that if you are pre-op, you are a LONG way from having to worry about salad anyway. Most post-op plans don't allow for raw vegetables for quite some time, plus you always need to be putting Protein first, which means not a lot of room for leafy greens, since those are VERY filling. Some people do manage to work salad back into their diet at some point-post op. I haven't been able to at 11 months out. Any raw veggies make me very gassy and uncomfortable, so I can only do cooked veggies and, of course, only AFTER I've gotten my protein in.

I cook with olive oil and haven't had any problems with it. I don't use it as salad dressing but that's simply because I don't eat much salad. I try to eat no more than 4 ounces at a time and 3 of those ounces are Protein which doesn't leave much for salad. As for fat content - my nutritionist gave me a good rule of thumb for figuring out if something is high in fat - low fat is 3 grams of fat for every 100 calories - i.e. a 300 calorie meal should have no more than 9 grams of fat. As it is, my meals don't tend to be over 200 calories anyway. However, if your nutritionist says no more than 5 grams, it's probably best to follow their advice, at least for the first few months when you're figuring out what your body can and cannot handle.

Many people have a hard time reintroducing meat back into their meals after RNY surgery. The meat seems too tough for their stomachs.

As for chicken, the best approach for tenderizing the meat is to put a chicken breast in a covered pot with Water and a couple bouillion cubes. Cook it for a couple hours until the chicken readily comes apart using a fork.

For most meats, I found that if you use them in Soups and chilis they go down smooth.

It is important to use very lean fat free meats after surgery because your stomach cannot absorb fats and sugars after the operation. After the first 6 months to a year post-op, your intestines adapt to absorbing fats and sugars taking over a function that was once the stomachs. At this point meat that contain fat is tolerated without causing dumping.

Hmm, my nut didn't have any of those requirements. Interesting how the post op diets vary. I was just told to eat Protein first. No requirements on the amount of fat in the Protein.

Chiming in here as a cook (we have different surgeries).....try using stock to cook meat down. Use a very high heat, sear the meat well (whether chicken, beef, etc. -- including ground meats like turkey or grass-fed beef, etc.) -- add stock (can get it in cartons at the grocery store -- I always go for the organic) and simmer it down for a long time. By now I've added garlic, spices, etc. Delicious for all, weight loss surgery peeps or just regular old gourmet eaters....enjoy! And get ready to join the league of dainty eaters. Such a beautiful thing. Way to go getting yourself prepped for everything -- you have a whole new future ahead of you and it's going to be great!

Oh, I meant to say -- no oil necessary with this method. meat on to very hot dry pan (no oil) and take it from there. As for olive oil, I love it but mostly use as a drizzling on things after, but that's just me. And Tomato product can also be used like stock to help cook meats down into deliciousness. Once you are not worried about calories, add a dollop of cream. Your dinner guests will be applauding (none of mine even know I had surgery). Good luck with all!