Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Strange Info from NUT re: Carbs

But you're both about 2 months post-op.

At your tenure, I was eating only 800 calories, 60 grams of Protein and about the same grams of carbs.

I am almost 3 months out but yes I understand totally. I think what you have stated in your previous email makes alot of sense

I have blood tests today to make sure my body is processing all this right and that i am not lacking Vitamins

I generally eat 650-700 calories, 70-80g of Protein and 35-40g of carbs and I have been losing a good amount of weight. I just don't see why the NUT would suggest raising my carbs if I am doing well without them.

I also don't really feel deprived or really restricted either.

I don't know, I guess my feeling is if it's working should I really mess with it? I am also acutely aware that after 6 months I will most likely have a harder time getting the weight off, so I would like to do everything I possibly can to ensure my success. Does that make any sense?

I don't think I am getting that much in calories. I barely hit 500 calories maybe that is why the doctor said I need to eat more times a day since my stomach will only except about the amount of a boiled egg. So I think you are doing great compared to what I intake . I had better get on the program better lol

Well i think you are doing great . I am not the one that is on the band wagon here. I think you are doing great keep up the good work . I think you should do what you feel is best you know your body. If you are not losing then ya change it up. Some of the other advise is great but everyone metabolize different

Maybe you're losing too fast??? Perhaps you're losing muscle? She may know something and just didn't elaborate.

@@MarceMonster My surgery date was May 12 2014. I started at 244 in January 2014 and hit 104 this morning. My original goal was 135 (set by my surgeon and definitely too high for my height), was reached in December 2014. I hit my personal goal of 125 in January 2015.

I was fine all the way down to 112 lbs, but now I think I look scrawny. They used to say a good rule of thumb for weight goal is to start with 100 lbs and add 5 lbs for each inch over 5' (adding a few pounds if you have a large frame). That would put my ideal weight at around 115. I'm hoping after all this shakes out (after the normal regain), that I will end up about there.

@@MarceMonster My surgery date was May 12 2014. I started at 244 in January 2014 and hit 104 this morning. My original goal was 135 (set by my surgeon and definitely too high for my height), was reached in December 2014. I hit my personal goal of 125 in January 2015.

I was fine all the way down to 112 lbs, but now I think I look scrawny. They used to say a good rule of thumb for weight goal is to start with 100 lbs and add 5 lbs for each inch over 5' (adding a few pounds if you have a large frame). That would put my ideal weight at around 115. I'm hoping after all this shakes out (after the normal regain), that I will end up about there.

I can only hope I have the results you have. Like I said I am only five feet tall, I think 100 lbs might be a bit too low for me, but who knows, I have never even been close to that weight! I want to get to 120 and then my stretch goal of 110-105. I also think that it might be good to get lower then my ideal because most patients gain 10-15 lbs back. It is results like your that really push me and give me hope! Thank you!

How many carbs did you eat regularly? And calories?

Edited by MarceMonster

I know I have lost muscle mass. Can see it in my arms and legs. I have been big most my life but not fat.til the last 7 yrs i gained 200 lbs . I was up to 448 lbs I am now at 297 lbs I was at 250 lbs before I gained weight at 6' 4" and didn't have much chubby there i was a weight lifter . Now my chest fell to my drawers and now I have a chesterdrawers.lol

I'm 15 months post surgery and down 130 lbs and my surgeon and NUT just changed my macros to 100 g of Protein (33%), 110g of carbs (37%) and 40g of fat (30%). I actually cried in her office when she gave me the new plan. I'm having other issues that may account for the change in plan but they were concerned that under 40g of carbs a day was becoming detrimental. I haven't been able to hit 110g yet and still feel compelled to have more protein than carbs but I made a promise that I would do my best to hit those marks for a 4 week "experiment." I'm just hoping I don't start gaining weight.

@MarceMonster: Early on in the weight loss phase I was eating 700-800 cals per day and keeping my carbs in the 40-50 (net) grams range. Later this increased to 1000-1100 cals and around 60 grams (net) carbs. I am now working on raising my caloric intake to the point where I stop losing. I'm eating around 1250 per day and still losing very slowly.

@stacyg1: I think you should try your doctor's and nutritionist's suggestion for a month. It might be beneficial, but you won't know unless you try it. If it doesn't work for you, you can go back to your previous plan. A slow down or break in your weight loss for a few weeks is not a long term disaster.

I've been on 60g of carbs for a for a while now, but that is my MAX I try to stick to. Today I am a little over at 67g. If you do the Net Carbs then that is 55g.

Edited by OneDollarBill

@@IcanMakeit - I'm going to try to stick to the new plan. I trust my surgeon and his staff implicitly. I mean his plan helped me lose 130 lbs, why wouldn't I trust him. It's just a bit scary after being low carb for so long!