Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ability to Exercise

@@Inner Surfer Girl Yeah, swimming is just out for me. Closest pool with Water aerobics is 2 hours away. I just exercise as I can, and hopefully soon I'll be able to walk even better, once I have this knee replaced, and the bone spur taken off the other knee.

I was lazy slug before surgery. After my surgery I walked slowly everyday to help with the gas pains and healing. However, I did not do any real exercise until about three months out. I think everyone is different. I just went at my own pace; now I am more fit than most of my friends and I enjoy exercise.

Fitness will happen as you heal and start to have more energy. Good luck to you!!

I keep reading about people who are a month post-op and exercising five days a week for one to two hours each time. One person said they were walking 3.5 miles two days post-op. Were those who were exercising like this already exercising prior to surgery. Honestly, I can't imagine being able to do that with my weight and bad knees. (I will try swimming but still....That seems like a lot of exercise for people in really bad shape. How'd you do it?

Hello, I was in the gym prior to surgery.

I keep reading about people who are a month post-op and exercising five days a week for one to two hours each time. One person said they were walking 3.5 miles two days post-op. Were those who were exercising like this already exercising prior to surgery. Honestly, I can't imagine being able to do that with my weight and bad knees. (I will try swimming but still....That seems like a lot of exercise for people in really bad shape. How'd you do it?

I wasn't doing much by way of exercise before surgery. Now I'm doing c25k, which accounts for 30 minutes a day, 4 days a week. I do circuit training one to two days a week for 30 minutes. I can't ever see myself at a Gym for two hours a day. Doesn't seem liveable to me over the long haul. Once school is back in session for my kidsI 'm not even sure if I'll be able to continue c25k.

My routine had to fit into my life... Not vice versa. Luckily my knees are fine... Scheduling is the challenge.

It took me months post-op to build up to walking 2 miles continuously. I HAD lots of foot and knee pains. I started out by parking as far from my office's front door as possible and walking in. From there I started walking the perimeter of the building 4 times every morning. Like I said, it took months, but eventually I built up my endurance and my feet and knee pains went away.

I am looking for an indoor swimming pool to do Water workouts in. I've done it before but the pool I used closed. One of my probs is that chlorine triggers Migraines for me (as do all the screaming kids in the pool ????). I'm thinking about ordering a mini trampoline that has a stability bar and stretch bands. Anyone used one of those? I've done some research that says it's very low impact and won't hurt knees. What do you think?

So I'm at a low point with this myself. I've been so exhausted that I'm only now even remotely thinking of trying to work out and mostly that's because I'm supposed to be at this point. The rest is because I know it helps me emotionally and things have been stressful so I need that lift. But the reality is that all I want to do is rest. I've been told I'm too low on calories and that increasing them will help but mostly what it does is cause massive nausea. I'm going to try to see if I can get a few minutes tomorrow to just go outside and walk while I'm at work. I guess I'm feeling really lonely in this. I used to be very active - even while heavy - but recently it's like someone drained the tank. It certainly started before the surgery but it's lasting a lot longer than it's "supposed" to.

I'm pre-surgery, but I can tell there are so many factors that determine one's tolerance for exercise that I find it meaningless to compare one person to another. Age, comorbidities, starting weight, etc. Also, it seems that those factors affect people in different ways (e.g., though one person is heavier than another, that person might have an easier time with exercise and who knows why?).

I agree with everyone saying not to compare yourself to others! Some people can walk four miles easily before surgery. Others avoid walking to the printer at work cause their bodies ache so much. I know I won't be walking 3.5 miles two days after surgery. The last time I could walk that far it took months to build up to it and I was 40 pounds lighter. And I'm 32 with no comorbidities (unless you count plantar fasciitis).

Do what YOU can do. In my experience, some days are easier than others. When I've walked for exercise, I could have one day when walking 3 miles felt easy and a few days later struggle to finish 2 miles. It helps me if I don't expect myself to be at peak performance each time I exercise. I give myself a little break on hard days and challenge myself on better days. Doing that, my average still improves over time, such that eventually what I did on those peak days becomes that I do on sluggish days.

Also, do what you LIKE. There are so many different ways to exercise. If you like walking, great. If it sucks and you love Water aerobics, do that. I've been most successful when I do things I don't dread so much.

Good luck!

Edited by letitbeatles9

deleted and added to post below.

Edited by Raenh

I'm not sure if this was already suggested or not - I apologize if it was. I did Water aerobics for a year after I first got my band because it was way easier on my bad knee before I lost weight. And if you think you don't get a work out doing that - HA! I was sweating just as much being in the pool as I do on the treadmill. LOL Now that I lost some weight (not enough, but a good portion) Its easier for me to walk at a fast pace/run for sprints on the treadmill, so long as I have good shoes that keep me supported.

I was walking about 1 - 2 1/2 miles a day until recently(last few days) when my knee started acting up because I need new shoes. I would love to go back to Water aerobics, but the gym membership is a little out of my budget right now. So, I stick with the gym I go to that doesn't have a pool.

I don't have any health problems (thank goodness) except that my one knee is bad. I work out and even when I didn't have a membership to the gym (prior to my lap band surgery) I was still very active - taking care of my younger sisters, we lived in a two and three story houses that were on hills in Pittsburgh - I walked everyday to go to the bus stops and all over downtown, but somehow I STILL managed to gain up to 313lbs before my surgery...

It was probably my food choices, but for the last almost 15 years I haven't been able to eat anything 'fast food' really because of my gallbladder - which I had out a few years ago... just haven't gotten back into eating anything 'really' bad for me... (except kfc, omg that stuff is gross to look at and I know its horrible for us, but I love the skin - and that is only after not having had it for a year and I start craving it for some weird reason.)

I work out now at the gym constantly(except last few days because of my knee and need for new shoes) and I just don't feel its enough, even with watching what I eat because of the band (I'm going for consultation for the sleeve) because I keep getting sick and they found out that my pouch is enlarged above my band. I have been at the same weight for almost 4 years - then recently (last two months) I've been really pushing myself at the gym, and I haven't really seen any difference.

BUT I have noticed - specially after they took Fluid out of my band this week - I have no stopping power unless I make myself - I do not feel full, ever and that is (now that I'm writing this out and thinking about it) probably what caused me to gain weight even being active.

an example of this -

I was eating a snack yesterday that normally with the band I wouldn't have been able to eat more then half before feeling full and stopping - I did not feel full and just kept eating and eating until I realized what I was doing and stopped myself halfway through the second piece.

man, I hope I can get this surgery soon, I really DO not want to regain all that weight back.

Edited by Raenh

I started with just walking to my mailbox and back, then around the block and up to about 1.5 miles now. Like everyone has said, your journey is yours. I used to feel bad I wasn't up with the amazing racers but now am just happy I'm moving! It all helps, you just have to start somewhere.

So I'm at a low point with this myself. I've been so exhausted that I'm only now even remotely thinking of trying to work out and mostly that's because I'm supposed to be at this point. The rest is because I know it helps me emotionally and things have been stressful so I need that lift. But the reality is that all I want to do is rest. I've been told I'm too low on calories and that increasing them will help but mostly what it does is cause massive nausea. I'm going to try to see if I can get a few minutes tomorrow to just go outside and walk while I'm at work. I guess I'm feeling really lonely in this. I used to be very active - even while heavy - but recently it's like someone drained the tank. It certainly started before the surgery but it's lasting a lot longer than it's "supposed" to.

Were you tested for sleep apnea before surgery? Do you think that might be a possibility? I was only recently diagnosed with it, despite complaining to my doctor for 2+ years about how tired I am all the time. Of course, he blamed the fatigue on my weight alone and recommended more exercise. Since getting a Cpap I sleep much better and usually wake up feeling rested, as opposed to before it when I'd wake up just as tired as when I went to bed.

That aside, your info says you had surgery in June, but not what part of june. Well, even if you had it at the beginning, you're at most 7 weeks post-op. I've seen plenty of people on here saying they still had a lot of fatigue by then. Not everyone maybe, but I think it's still likely from surgery.

I just started walking last week. I can now walk 1 mile at a time. Right now I am just trying to make it a habit. I am six weeks post op. I walked some before surgery but it was way difficult. I am down 30 pounds since I started pre-op diet. 30 pounds makes a huge difference in being able to walk now. You will get there. Be patient and let your own body be your guide.

Choosehope,

You’ve gotten some excellent advice here: DO keep working towards whatever activity works for you, and DON’T compare yourself to others! Other people have different weights, different lifetime exercise histories, different abilities at the same weight, different chronic pains/conditions, etc.

That said, you’ve gotten some good suggestions for progressions. Do what is pain-free, so swimming might be a good starting place, with a minute or two walking on the treadmill to follow. The rules are to be patient, persistent, and safe. And have fun!

Good luck!

Yup and while I have it, it's fairly mild and mostly caused by allergies. It might be making things worse because I can't sleep with a cpap on and if I take a sleeping pill to do so I always wake up with it off. But I am about 5 weeks out so that may well be the issue. I just keep hearing people talk about how much they're working out and I feel like such a slacker for not doing more, particularly when I've been given a ton of exercises and workout challenges by the fitness person and I barely managed a walk yesterday. I keep meaning to get up earlier to exercise but the reality is that it's all I can do to get to the office on time and after work I just want to sleep.< /p>

Were you tested for sleep apnea before surgery? Do you think that might be a possibility? I was only recently diagnosed with it, despite complaining to my doctor for 2+ years about how tired I am all the time. Of course, he blamed the fatigue on my weight alone and recommended more exercise. Since getting a Cpap I sleep much better and usually wake up feeling rested, as opposed to before it when I'd wake up just as tired as when I went to bed.

That aside, your info says you had surgery in June, but not what part of june. Well, even if you had it at the beginning, you're at most 7 weeks post-op. I've seen plenty of people on here saying they still had a lot of fatigue by then. Not everyone maybe, but I think it's still likely from surgery.