Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ability to Exercise

Although exercise is very good for your heart, muscles and bones, it is not what drives weight loss. It's what goes in your mouth. And since right now your sleeve is controlling that, you're going to keep losing as long as you follow your eating plan. Focus on that, and get as much sleep as you need, and when your body is ready you'll feel more like exercising. Hopefully as the weight comes off, your sleep apnea and maybe even your allergies will improve and that will help. I've just found out that I'm allergic to my cpap straps! I have no problem leaving it on all night and sleep well with it but I'm breaking out in hives each morning on my face right where the straps go! So I'm going to have to do something about that - I'm not giving up my cpap! (btw, mine only covers the nose - if you have the full face kind you might do better with the smaller one)

My knees are worn out. I want to lose at least 50 more lbs before I look into a replacement for one. I cannot walk. I started going to a pool at the hospital and just walking in the Water. I'm going to get another shot in them this week. I had stopped going because I got worried about getting in and out of the pool...but plan on going back. I bought a elipitical that fit under my desk (I sit all day)...but it makes my knees sore also. I plan on retiring in two months and I am hoping to be able to work out munder-desk-elliptical-machine.jpgore at the pool then.

Where did you get that mini elliptical? I have a full size one and really like it, but it takes up so darn much room!

Where did you get that mini elliptical? I have a full size one and really like it, but it takes up so darn much room!

I bought mine from Amazon

Before surgery I was working out 3-4 times a week, Swimming 20 laps and running 20 laps in the pool. It was such a great workout because I have a torn Achilles. I am now week 5 post op and my dr finally cleared me to work out again last week. I have been slowly building myself back up to what I was doing before, but I know its going to take time. I did a Water aerobics class for the first time last night and loved it. Didn't think it would be that much of a workout, but boy was I wrong. I would start slow, walking in the pool where its no impact and every time you work out as the other ladies have mentioned, walk a little more. Trust me, it helps and you will feel better

Not only are we all different.......we are all different from our own selves, it seems.

For example......five years ago I decided to get rid of my excess weight. At first my knees were the limiting factor. I could only get 1/2 mile of walking before one would lock up. Awkward when you are 1/2 mile away from home.......

I then started using the gym only. Treadmills with hand rails.......adding incline.

Remained disciplined in the kitchen, too.

Weight came off over the next 8 months. Huge amounts.

I reached the point where I was using elliptical machines for an hour at the time with little pain. Addicted to the weight loss and great new feels.

Started lifting weights and really became addicted. Stupid me, though, though I could just jump in and start lifting like I did for high school football & wrestling.

My calorie intake swooped upward.....mainly additional Protein.....but calorie dense stuff, too.

Wound up making killer muscle gains, but created several injuries that are still needing repair. A double umbilical hernia ended things. Surgery took me out of the gym (lifting wise). I could have gone back to walking.....but had burned myself out.

It had become lifting or nothing.

The injuries kept me from lifting........so the "nothing" option was what happened.

Fast forward four years of "nothing" along with poor kitchen discipline and most of the 125 lbs had come back.

No problem, right? I'd just burn it off again over the next year.........

Great plan.....but some new health problems showed up and derailed my plans to exercise.

All I could do was cut calorie intake while being inactive during healing.

This proved harder than I thought.....inactive and trying to lose weight.

During six weeks of being knocked out of work.....sidelined......considering my future.......I decided to pull out all the stops and employ ever tool I could. It was then that I've chosen bypass surgery and proceeded with getting in a program.

I'm still limited on exercise......but am losing small amounts.

After the first 30 came off I can see a big difference in the end of day swelling in feet and ankles. Knee pain is much improved.

As I make small gains with back issues I am able to walk more at work and short sessions on treadmill on days off.

I remember how hard it was on the knees just 5 years ago. I can do a little more now...at the beginning stages than I could then. Limited only by back......which is improving slowly.

I know that when my bypass surgery comes, I'll be trying to kill it during the honeymoon first year, too.

The key is that I have to do it on a way that works for me......working safely with whatever my current limitations are at that time. I can't compare myself to others.....and really not to myself either. It's what I can do at the moment that matters.

I truly hope the bypass will provide a lasting tool that will help me in a great way......not just to reach my goal weight......but to live at the goal weight for the second half of my longer life. :)

Best of luck to us all.

Although exercise is very good for your heart, muscles and bones, it is not what drives weight loss. It's what goes in your mouth. And since right now your sleeve is controlling that, you're going to keep losing as long as you follow your eating plan. Focus on that, and get as much sleep as you need, and when your body is ready you'll feel more like exercising. Hopefully as the weight comes off, your sleep apnea and maybe even your allergies will improve and that will help. I've just found out that I'm allergic to my cpap straps! I have no problem leaving it on all night and sleep well with it but I'm breaking out in hives each morning on my face right where the straps go! So I'm going to have to do something about that - I'm not giving up my cpap! (btw, mine only covers the nose - if you have the full face kind you might do better with the smaller one)

Thank you! Yeah sleep seems like the way to go. I haven't heard about the allergies improving though that would be fantastic! The cpap is just a nose one but it doesn't seem to matter. I managed to get used to it somewhat before the surgery but since the surgery I can't seem to get used to it again. Oh well! I hope you can fix the issue with the straps, that sounds like it would be unpleasant.

yep, I covered the straps with some scrap flannel I had, just handsewed it on and have slept that way the last 3 nights and no more hives. Funny I didn't react to it for the first month I had it, but a few weeks ago I had a huge poison ivy reaction and I think my body was just hyped up from that and decided the straps were a foreign thing too. Fortunately it was an easy fix. Hope you get yours sorted out soon

@@choosehope - I did as much as I could pre-surgery, everyone's results are "untypical" since you are unique, just like everyone else. @B52 is my hero on this site, amazing transformation, but there is also @ who is overcoming major health issues to get to where he is. The stories from people at very different health perspectives is what keeps me grounded. Just Celebrate your victories at your different rate of speed. We will Celebrate with you.

@@joatsaint - isn't it great when you are walking and you realize "the pain has gone away" when I realized my knee pain had gone away I damn near jumped for joy.

It really is. It took me months to used to the idea that if I walked too much in a day, I wouldn't be walking with a limp for weeks afterwards. :)

@@joatsaint - isn't it great when you are walking and you realize "the pain has gone away" when I realized my knee pain had gone away I damn near jumped for joy.

I waited til my surgeon gave me clearance to swim and started my own Water aerobics program. I also have knee and joint problems. Every night I'm in the pool moving for an hour. It's a great workout and it energizes me. My body is starting to look very lean and toned. May add weights soon to increase the resistance.

Just do what you can regardless of the type of exercise and soon it will become a part of your routine.

I had my surgery 3 months ago, I simple don't have the energy to exercise, I feel tired all the time, very sleepy! When I tried to walk on the tread mill I always get hypoglycimic, even eating before and hidrating during the exercise! Does anyone feel this way?

My exercise of choice is walking (don't do gyms ... am totally unco-ordinated). I have a dodgy heart and my cardiologist is happy for me to walk, but not run ... says that after all the effort involved in getting my heart rate slowed and regulated, we don't want to raise it too much. I walk between 3 and 5km, but not every day (all depends on work etc). I used to work more standardised hours, 7am to 3pm every day, and would head off to one of the many walking tracks that we have nearby but now I'm working different shifts, and it's the middle of winter so often dark by the time I finish work, so I have invested in a decent treadmill. My resting heart rate is now 79 bps, instead of the 158 it was when I first got sick, and at lunchtime today I covered 4km at a fairly brisk speed of 6km/h and my heart rate peaked at 90.

The best form of exercise is whatever you will do ... whether it's weights, running, walking, pilates, swimming or just a gentle stroll around your neighbourhood. Everyone is different and you'll find the activity (and frequency) that's right for you.