Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre vs post op diet...prepare yourself! (This is somewhat of a rant also)

I knew Mrs.Dixon's reaction was possible based on everything I read, that's why I was so scared going in. Very blessed that I had a great and easy experience in my transition. I'm not being judgmental, but I've always been curious what causes the different reactions:

1) Just different genetics

2) Quality of surgeons

3) Preparation of patient

4) Attitude/suggestibility of patients

Too many variables to really study, but if anyone finds some clues, I'm curious to know.

I for one am finding I should be the poster child for 'if it could go wrong, it will' I had complication after my tonsillectomy in February too. I understand not every one will have problems but I wish more people would've shared beforehand. I really wish I would've found this app earlier too. I had the best attitude going in. I was more excited for this surgery than anything. But that changed immediately after surgery unfortunately.

I really appreciate all of ur responses and that I am not be scolded for my honesty here as I have been other places. It actually raises my spirits knowing I'm possibly helping others and getting encouraging words too.

I disagree. As difficult as the past two weeks have been post-op, it's still easier than that pre op diet. Everyone deals with things differently. And yes I do get hungry but it's satisfied quickly. And yes I am cranky with my family for being able to eat whatever but I know that's about me... Not them... And I'm trying to curb that. Plus I've lost 25 lbs.... Which makes the post op drama a little more worth it.

@@MrsDixon Just like you downplayed the preop diet in your OP, the time period you are going through and what you are experiencing is nothing like the rest of your life will be.

The 1st month is WAY different than what your life eventually will be. I, too, had to get IV fluids 3 times. I couldn't tolerate lactose, plain Water or artificial sweeteners. By 4 months postop, most of that had passed. And things kept changing even after that.....The 10th month wasn't anything like the 6th month. At 19 months postop, life is very different than even 12 months. And from what I've read from veterans, I can expect even more changes 2-3 years out.

Believe me, this entire WLS journey is an ever-changing, evolving experience. The best you can do is roll with the punches and keep a good attitude. There's no going back so just keep moving forward.

Edited by Kindle

I can understand the struggle especially 33 days post op. I am 8 months post op & have a very different view now. However, The first 3 to 4 months were rough for me. Eventually the hunger pains did go away but you will feel some hunger still. I did feel sad I couldn't have the food everyone around me could eat especially because my surgery was during the holidays. Honestly, we were all food addicts before surgery so being forced to not have what soothed us before is shocking. When people say surgery is the "easy" way it really isn't. You are forced to have to deal with life without your comfort and that is hard.

You will start to eat larger portions as you progress. You will tolerate more and more food each month. In fact, I can pretty much tolerate anything which can stall weight loss ( when eating the wrong foods). Try to find something in your diet that you enjoy. In these early months I would try different crystal lite or fruit. I would even heat up my applesauce to make it more of a dessert. Nothing is going to completely make you happy but in time it will get easier. Also, the more weight you lose the better you will feel.

...And u can't have carbonation (ever)...

... no sugar either...

...prepare yourself to be extremely depressed and cranky and to hate others who can still eat what they want when they want, family included!..

...You do still get hungry and have hunger pains...

...If u read u won't or were told u won't because they remove the portion of the stomach that produces the hunger hormone ghrelin or whatever or it's only 'head hunger', WRONG! You get hungry I promise!...

...Try now to go a whole day eating 3-6 2 oz. portions, it sucks!...

... it's more like mules eating metal and farting spikes!

...enjoy the pre op diet as much as u can, it goes downhill from there...

Wow! You've had a tough time, haven't you? I am so sorry to hear. My experiences at a bit over two years out have been nothing like yours.

I drink carbonation. I consume sugar. I was never depressed nor was I ever crankier than normal. I never hated anyone for eating around me. Why would I? It's not their fault I got fat. :)

I rarely felt hunger or hunger pains for my first 18 month and when I did, it was acid reflux or thirst. I do feel hunger now, but it's PHYSICAL hunger and I know it's because I've not eaten properly. I realize that I am one of the lucky ones who doesn't feel hunger very often and I am thrilled about it.

I am also thrilled that my restriction is as you mentioned. I can rarely eat more than 2-3 oz at a time so I do need to eat that portion size 4-6 times a day. The restriction is exactly why I had this surgery and I am thrilled that my portion size will forever be so small. It's a fat girl's dream! I get to eat all day, as long as I do so mindfully, I measure, I track and I make great choices.

I sincerely hope things improve for you!

I am 112 pounds down and feeling great! I was a size 20 and am now a size 8. I can do anything I want physically and have far exceeded what I thought this surgery could do for me. I am thrilled every single day.

:D

I for one am finding I should be the poster child for 'if it could go wrong...

For the record, I did have my share of complications as well. I had a pill get stuck on day three and it was there for 3 days before it finally dislodged and I could eat and drink again. It scratched the CRAP out of my throat and I couldn't swallow for days after it finally dislodged.

Plain Water STILL hits like load of bricks. I have to add flavor drops or lemon in order to drink it and I usually stick to (shhhhhh...don't tell) Coke Zero, coffee, SF lemonade, Hint of Water, or Gatorade Zero.

I also have a stricture so at times I can't eat for a day or two at all. I call my days "feeding days" and "non feeding days". I could get it corrected, but I choose not to.

Because of my stricture, I vomit frequently. Usually once or twice a week, down from once or twice a day. I got the foamies/slimies really bad for about a year post op and I still do occasionally.

Heavy sugar makes me dump, as does heavy cream. Unusual in a sleeve, but it happens. I have water poop ALL the time. Since surgery, I am either constipated or running to the bathroom.

I can't drink wine, sweet drinks or anything too acidic. (Above lemonade is crystal light.) The heartburn is terrible.

All that aside -- BEST.DECISION.EVER.

Is anyone else having major hunger problems only a week out? Not even on soft foods yet. liquid only and very hungry! Is that normal?

I am sorry you are feeling that way. I had a 2 week liquid only diet per op I lost 30 lbs in those 2 weeks. I am now 10 days post op and I have had no pain can drink all the Water I want no problem. The only problem I am running into is I don't ever feel full when I drink Protein or other pureed food. I had an egg the other day and kind of felt full but not much. I have not had any hunger pains to speak of and have to remind myself to eat something befor I get to weak. I am down 45 lbs. 30 per op and 15 post op.

Is anyone else having major hunger problems only a week out? Not even on soft foods yet. Liquid only and very hungry! Is that normal?

It's not necessarily ABnormal, but more normal is to mistake head hunger (wanting the food rather than being truly hungry), thirst or acid for hunger. If you aren't taking anti acid medication ask your doctor about it.

I am sorry you are feeling that way. I had a 2 week liquid only diet per op I lost 30 lbs in those 2 weeks. I am now 10 days post op and I have had no pain can drink all the Water I want no problem. The only problem I am running into is I don't ever feel full when I drink Protein or other pureed food. I had an egg the other day and kind of felt full but not much. I have not had any hunger pains to speak of and have to remind myself to eat something befor I get to weak. I am down 45 lbs. 30 per op and 15 post op.

It's common for the stomach nerve endings to be numb for a while and for the fullness feeling to happen when the nerves come back. Perhaps that's what is happening.

". People always seem to make this surgery seem like unicorns eat rainbows and fart glitter but it's more like mules eating metal and farting spikes!"

LOL! Too funny! I just started my 4-week pre-op diet this morning. So far, so good. I'm a big fan of ice chips when I'm thirsty and my stomach is finicky.

". People always seem to make this surgery seem like unicorns eat rainbows and fart glitter but it's more like mules eating metal and farting spikes!"

LOL! Too funny! I just started my 4-week pre-op diet this morning. So far, so good. I'm a big fan of ice chips when I'm thirsty and my stomach is finicky.

That was the best way I could describe it lol good luck with everything ☺

I don't think anyone is ever really prepared for what you go through after the surgery. Especially the mental and emotional aspect. It honestly threw me for a loop.

I've said it before, WLS ain't for sissies. That's why I want to punch people in the face that try to say we took the easy way.

You're going to find that what you're going through right now is such a small blip on the radar in the grand scheme of things. As my dearly departed mom used to say: This too, shall pass.