Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre vs post op diet...prepare yourself! (This is somewhat of a rant also)

I see A LOT of people complaining or whining or just having trouble on their 10-30 day pre op diets. It is ok to whine and complain but just be ready, the pre op is a walk in the park compared to what happens after surgery. Pre: you still get food...texture and taste...post: nope! You are on clear and full liquids for at least 2 weeks. And u can't have carbonation (ever) or caffeine (for at least 30 days) no sugar either so what u drink is somewhat limited. Not to mention it's hard as hell to drink anything because of all the swelling inside. I was sent to the er twice in the first 3 weeks for iv fluids because I couldn't force anywhere near 64 oz down a day. And 33 days post op i still don't get near enough. And also prepare yourself to be extremely depressed and cranky and to hate others who can still eat what they want when they want, family included! You do still get hungry and have hunger pains. If u read u won't or were told u won't because they remove the portion of the stomach that produces the hunger hormone ghrelin or whatever or it's only 'head hunger', WRONG! You get hungry I promise! Once u can finally taste wonderful precious food again it's only 2 oz at a time!...for awhile... and that's if u can handle it, the sleeve is very picky especially at first. Try now to go a whole day eating 3-6 2 oz. portions, it sucks! They also don't always tell u ur sleeve may only prefer hot or cold for awhile. That limits u yet again. People always seem to make this surgery seem like unicorns eat rainbows and fart glitter but it's more like mules eating metal and farting spikes! I think people should be honest with those who are considering surgery, it's a major change, FOREVER! I'm not trying to convince anyone not to do it because supposedly it gets better. I'm just speaking honestly from my own experience and if I knew then what I've learned now...I'd have changed my mind. So enjoy the pre op diet as much as u can, it goes downhill from there.

Omg laughing so hard so true oh so true it does get better over time but it is a bit of hell at first as the saying goes everything comes with a price ...

Edited by shellyd88

I'm sorry that your having such a hard time and pray that soon you will be having the life changing experience you were hoping for. I will say that most not all of the people that I have heard having such a hard time like your self did got have much time between approval and the actual procedure. My ins. required 6 months with a dietician, some weight loss before hand, psych visits and group classes. Of course I complained and thought it was over kill. But now I see that it Was a way to get us ready for both the physical and mental changes we are about to go through. There is no way I could go from eating and living like I was one day and the next HAVE to make a complete change. For me that's like an addict going cold turkey and fighting withdrawals. I'm scheduled for surgery on July 28th and may go through some of the very same things you are, the mood swings for sure, we don't know, but I am glad that I've had time to make some adjustments, weigh all my options, good and bad and get prepared for this change. Again I wish you nothing but the best and pray that it will get better.

@@MrsDixon Sounds like your having a crappy time and your experience isn't the best but it's not everyone's experience. I had absolutely zero hunger for the first 7 months. I'm just now kinda starting to feel some hunger so I wouldn't. "Promise that" people will. I wasn't able to drink 64 oz either but I did fine. I never went back to the hospital. If you just had surgery in June then yea,your still way to new to be dooming your own life. You have a lot of progress yet to make and believe it or not it will Get better. Or at least I hope it does for your own sake. This surgery is the best thing I've ever done in my entire life. I will be very interested to see how you feel at 8 months post-op. I'll be keeping an eye out for you :)

I'm sorry that your having such a hard time and pray that soon you will be having the life changing experience you were hoping for. I will say that most not all of the people that I have heard having such a hard time like your self did got have much time between approval and the actual procedure. My ins. required 6 months with a dietician, some weight loss before hand, psych visits and group classes. Of course I complained and thought it was over kill. But now I see that it Was a way to get us ready for both the physical and mental changes we are about to go through. There is no way I could go from eating and living like I was one day and the next HAVE to make a complete change. For me that's like an addict going cold turkey and fighting withdrawals. I'm scheduled for surgery on July 28th and may go through some of the very same things you are, the mood swings for sure, we don't know, but I am glad that I've had time to make some adjustments, weigh all my options, good and bad and get prepared for this change. Again I wish you nothing but the best and pray that it will get better.

I still had to go thru appointments with psych( which was pointless)and nutritionist and stress test and seminar but I did all that pretty much in 2 days. I only had 45 days from start to finish.

MrsDixon,

Thanks for sharing your experiences. You are right – it is good to have everyone’s experiences so people can make their own decisions based on the best information.

I am sorry you are having such a rough time. I think you are experiencing what it is like to be on the wrong side of the statistics; it is great to see something that works, say, 90% of the time, but when you are in the 10%, it’s not as much fun.

I will say, though, I think there is an excellent chance things will get better for you. I know it feels like forever and you have had a lot of bad luck. But, you are still not far out from surgery, and this is the point in time when a lot of WLS patients feel at their lowest points. I hope you are able to stick with it and find something positive to hang onto, and you eventually are glad about your WLS decision.

Now that you mention it, Alex - what time frame can you give us as far as when you feel like you went thru a disposal (as soon as the meds wear off) until the depression/funk/ "what have I done to myself" phase starts, and how long does the funk phase generally last? A couple weeks? Months?

Truthfully, our NUT talked about vitamin/mineral and Protein supplements so much at first, I lost focus that I'd ever get to eat real food again. LOL! Can you imagine, being willing to live solely on Protein drinks the rest of your life? Now, a month away from surgery, I realize I WILL get real food again, eventually! (My Dr.'s phase-in to solid food is roughly 8 weeks)

LoreLu,

I think it depends on the individual, and on the type of surgery, and on about a million other factors! I have to say that I was super lucky and didn't have many second thoughts...although I guess I must have been uncertain/scared enough when I came home from the hospital that I started looking for an online forum and felt the need to create LapBandTalk.com!

But I didn't have any regrets, and maybe it's because I didn't have terrible pain.

As for what I've noticed with others: some have it worst in the first few days; for others, it lasts a few weeks; and for others, especially when there are some complications or difficulties, it can be a month or two. It's hard when you're in pain and you realize you can't undo what you did...it's easy to start second-guessing yourself.

For those looking for an exact schedule of what happens when and how you feel when and for those making predictions about what everyone will experience because your experience went that way, well ... it ain't necessarily so.

Most people who have sleeve surgery do not experience what @@MrsDixon has experienced. Thank goodness, I didn't. I had a great surgery, an easy recovery, hit my 60 minimum Protein gram level on Day Five post-op, and by the end of Month One was recovering quickly from a second surgery -- my gall bladder was removed four weeks post-VSG op.

When I arrived at this forum a year and a half ago, it was an era when everybody new was in a funk and complaining about "the complications thread" and begging people to stop posting on it because it was scaring them to death. If you think MrsDixon's first month was bad, search here and read posts by people who REALLY had it bad. She didn't have any complications at all; she's just recovering at a slower than average pace from WLS surgery.

@@MrsDixon , the good news is that your recovery is going to get easier soon. And you'll soon be feeling the benefits you were searching for when you chose this surgery -- you'll become healthier, slimmer and, I hope, happier about your WLS decision. :)

Thanks for the feedback on that. It's not going to change my decision; I just like to be prepared for the worst so the best is a wonderful surprise.

For those looking for an exact schedule of what happens when and how you feel when and for those making predictions about what everyone will experience because your experience went that way, well ... it ain't necessarily so.

Most people who have sleeve surgery do not experience what @@MrsDixon has experienced. Thank goodness, I didn't. I had a great surgery, an easy recovery, hit my 60 minimum Protein gram level on Day Five post-op, and by the end of Month One was recovering quickly from a second surgery -- my gall bladder was removed four weeks post-VSG op.

When I arrived at this forum a year and a half ago, it was an era when everybody new was in a funk and complaining about "the complications thread" and begging people to stop posting on it because it was scaring them to death. If you think MrsDixon's first month was bad, search here and read posts by people who REALLY had it bad. She didn't have any complications at all; she's just recovering at a slower than average pace from WLS surgery.

@@MrsDixon , the good news is that your recovery is going to get easier soon. And you'll soon be feeling the benefits you were searching for when you chose this surgery -- you'll become healthier, slimmer and, I hope, happier about your WLS decision. :)

Thank you ????

@@LoreLu - Thanks for the feedback on that. It's not going to change my decision; I just like to be prepared for the worst so the best is a wonderful surprise.

Very wise. I went through the worst on the front end. I had to quit drinking - my favorite vice. Quit coffee - my favorite "necessity." And I really did some work with my therapist and book The Emotional First + Aid Kit: A Practical Guide to Life After Bariatric Surgery to look at my food issues.

Still scared to death last 72 hours because part of my research was peoples worst case scenarios. Also did estate planning and emergency power's of attorney because I'm single and needed to make sure all that necessary stuff was done.

And then there was the body prep...I worked out like a mad man the last six weeks to get in the best shape I could going into operating room. My appendix burst when I was in bad shape and I knew that would make recovery tougher.

Is that why it was a piece of cake and I was walking to the mall two days after surgery? Heck I drove down to my son's fraternity at OU and went to a football game four days after the procedure.

Maybe, and part of it is just good fortune. But I think you will increase your chances of being successful if you do four things: Plan, Prepare, Act and Evaluate. Good luck.

Edited by OKCPirate

Everyone body is different and I have heard of all kind of stories some positive some negative. Just keep your eyes on the prize. A healthy new you

I found pre-op a lot more difficult.

I was definitely much hungrier pre-OP than post OP. The only difference between the two diets for me, really, was one Protein bar (which I would be ok if I never ate again) and a banana. The shakes are all the same

The thing I find weird now 9 days post OP is the "hungry" and "full" feeling are the same I can't tell the difference. I don't have cravings. And am not in pain, beyond the muscular pain in my abs, so I pretty much default to "full"

Everyday since post OP day 3 I have hit the Protein goal.

I am the cook in my house and am having no problem in continuing in that role. Tonight I made fried chicken for my wife and kids and myself some powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury chicken broth while they ate.

Maybe it's because I've had much more serious surgeries than this one (this was my 21st surgery since age 18), but this one was really mild. I had another surgery on my bad leg I injured when I was in the army last August and was pretty much confined to my bed until mid October. Even then there was a chance post-OP they may have amputated my left let below the knee due to complications. I was out and about the second day after surgery. My wife and I resumed "relations" on day 5. I've gone to the basketball courts with my oldest son. Done everything I would have done.

I just share this to say your mileage may vary. Hopefully things get better for you Mrsdixon

I was definitely much hungrier pre-OP than post OP. The only difference between the two diets for me, really, was one Protein bar (which I would be ok if I never ate again) and a banana. The shakes are all the same

The thing I find weird now 9 days post OP is the "hungry" and "full" feeling are the same I can't tell the difference. I don't have cravings. And am not in pain, beyond the muscular pain in my abs, so I pretty much default to "full"

Everyday since post OP day 3 I have hit the Protein goal.

I am the cook in my house and am having no problem in continuing in that role. Tonight I made fried chicken for my wife and kids and myself some unjury chicken broth while they ate.

Maybe it's because I've had much more serious surgeries than this one (this was my 21st surgery since age 18), but this one was really mild. I had another surgery on my bad leg I injured when I was in the army last August and was pretty much confined to my bed until mid October. Even then there was a chance post-OP they may have amputated my left let below the knee due to complications. I was out and about the second day after surgery. My wife and I resumed "relations" on day 5. I've gone to the basketball courts with my oldest son. Done everything I would have done.

I just share this to say your mileage may vary. Hopefully things get better for you Mrsdixon

Yours is a very powerful story. Thank you and your family for your service to our country.