Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Safe to Get Pregnant after Banding?

I'm scheduled for banding on July 24/07 and I'm concerned about what will happen if I decide to have another baby? What happens if I have frequent morning sickness? Can I still vomit? Will vomitting too often cause complications with the band? I would like to be banded as soon as possible, but would rather wait if this is not a good choice for me and baby.

I would love to hear from anyone who has been pregnant after banding.

Your stories and insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you:)

hello Gaut, WELCOME to LBT! Move down to the bottom of this page and you'll see that some other threads like yours have come up as Similar Threads. Check them out, there's loads of good info here.

There are quite a few bandsters who have had babies banded. My surgeon dosen't want you to get pregnant for two years, but that's not to say that it doesn't happen, I'm sure. Some docs do a complete unfill, some unfill a little, some just see how it goes. All depends on your surgeon.

i got pregnant a few weeks after getting my band...:rolleyes at first i was totally unhappy, but thrilled (first baby) it was 2 of the things i wanted most in life, but both going down at the same time??? I had a very small fill (it never affected my pregnancy) and i exchanged my band doctor for my obstetrician. Well, even though she was gorgeous and barely 100 pounds, she said, "No biggie about the band, in fact, i bet it will keep your weight in check." I had a very uneventful pregnancy, except in the last month I developed the gestational hypertension. I only gained about 10 pounds in 8 months, and thirty the last month! Ha ha, yikes! (It was Water weight she kept telling me) Anyways, I had to have a c-section because Nadia was a little breech baby, and the doctor was very careful not to disrupt the port. It has now been two months since Nadia was born...perfect in every way. I went from 324 (highest weight right after baby, from swelling they said) to 280 within 6 weeks. Now I am 268 and losing, having had a great fill a couple weeks ago. Sometimes I think i can get overwhelmed because im doing both these things for the first time at the same time, but Nadia loves to get in her front carrier, and i get great exercise with her. The only thing I really think it affects, is I on't get much time to eat, but i also am too busy to analyze my food. Sorry to go on and on, i guess my point is that what seemed like a BAD thing was actually a blessing in disguise, seeing as though my husband and i only ever wanted our one beautiful baby, an now i can go on to use my band as it was meant to be, without worrying about pregnancy weight and issues in the future. And the band has done lovely, with my last fill, it is as if it was waiting for me. Perhaps I have wandered off the issue, but honestly, the band really really helped my pregnancy, and is doing great now as well.

My doctor said to wait one year as well. In October it is one year, but the last time I saw him he would like me to wait until I lose my goal weight ( another 100lbs). My husband is getting anxious and want to have a baby. so do I but I guess I should listen to the doctor. I just want to do what is right that's all.