Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What "negatives" are you experiencing?

I am also looking to go to MGB from sleeve ( VSG 11-15-11) seeking the mal-absorption component which is key to long term weight loss and maintanence, I have found. I have read that most of the restrictive surgeries, fail over time as the body adjusts to the lowered calorie intake and stalls, with malabsorption component, it seems to allow the continued additional help". Happy to have found this forum!

I have had 3 different doctors tell me the same thing. Because my sleeve is twisted as well, it is a bit complicated. With that said, once I go in for surgery I will be sure to give a full report. Because on this forum it is all about proving a point.

Side note- I had my sleeve in 2012, at that point still a newer procedure. I think each year they are learning more and more.

I had mine in 2012 too.. and they used the largest bougie at the time. I do carefully watch what I eat.. lots of Protein, no rice, Pasta etc.. (okay.. i ate three raviolis a few weeks ago and felt like crap... never again) but i can easily eat an 8 oz steak... plus veggies etc.. so I know "something" is different.. i dont feel as much restriction. I am seeing my dr. at the end of August and he will decide which is best-- resleeve or sleeve to MGB ... but the original post was just finding out what negative side effects people are having...

I have had 3 different doctors tell me the same thing. Because my sleeve is twisted as well, it is a bit complicated. With that said, once I go in for surgery I will be sure to give a full report. Because on this forum it is all about proving a point.

Side note- I had my sleeve in 2012, at that point still a newer procedure. I think each year they are learning more and more.

I had mine in 2012 too.. and they used the largest bougie at the time. I do carefully watch what I eat.. lots of Protein, no rice, Pasta etc.. (okay.. i ate three raviolis a few weeks ago and felt like crap... never again) but i can easily eat an 8 oz steak... plus veggies etc.. so I know "something" is different.. i dont feel as much restriction. I am seeing my dr. at the end of August and he will decide which is best-- resleeve or sleeve to MGB ... but the original post was just finding out what negative side effects people are having...

I consider all of what I have going on negative side effects. I know it is not common for the sleeve to twist. I am not sure if that has anything to do with my pregnancy. My gerd is getting worse. Some days it feels like my food is sitting in my chest. I have been drinking more Protein shakes and eating lunch meat and cheese, tuna.... Anything else feels brick-like... Honestly, some days eating is just a chore.... U am looking forward to a revision for many reasons. I really wish you the best.

Just a reminder that this is a MINI GASTRIC BYPASS forum. We are sharing information about NEGATIVES about the MINI GASTRIC BYPASS operation, not the sleeve, not Gastric Bypass, not the lap band, but negatives about the MINI GASTRIC BYPASS. Of couse some may be having revisions TO the Mini Gastric Bypass, and we can share about that, but the purpose of this particular forum is the negatives about the MINI GASTRIC BYPASS. We are all anxious to hear about post surgery MINI Gastric bypass patients and the negatives of their experience.

Thanks everyone!

I had my MGB revision from a band on June 10. No regrets but my weight loss has been slow. I am 10 weeks out and lost 28 pounds. Happy they have gone but I still have 60 to lose to be in a normal BMI. Weight loss settled lretty quickly to 2 pounds a week or less.

I am pretty good at sticking to the rules, I only had 2 head hunger days out of over 50 where my cals went up to 1400 but most days I am between 750 and a 1000. I have been able to eat more than a lot of bypassers right from the get go, there is restriction and I do not push it. Only had a couple of cases of dumping from fats, but I often need to sleep after a meal even if it's relatively low sugar. A lot of fatigue.

food wise I can eat juts about everything unless too fibrous like sweetcorn. Beef, steak, chicken all fine. I try to stick to the harder Proteins as much as possible as they are the only things that give me restriction.

There is research that says second hitters don't get as much bang for the buck but that does not affect everyone. Muts unlucky I guess it will be a long road for me.

One caveat, I am not as mobile as I should be as waiting for a hip replacement though I am comparing to the first few months of having a band when I was also pretty immobile for other reasons.

Still no regrets. :)

Just a reminder that this is a MINI GASTRIC BYPASS forum. We are sharing information about NEGATIVES about the MINI GASTRIC BYPASS operation, not the sleeve, not Gastric Bypass, not the lap band, but negatives about the MINI GASTRIC BYPASS. Of couse some may be having revisions TO the Mini Gastric Bypass, and we can share about that, but the purpose of this particular forum is the negatives about the MINI GASTRIC BYPASS. We are all anxious to hear about post surgery MINI Gastric bypass patients and the negatives of their experience.

Thanks everyone!

I couldn't agree more! Thank you for politely saying this! I can't tell you how many times I've wanted to tell certain sleevers to get back to their own forum, they have no idea what they are talking about when it comes to the MGB!

I've never had any dumping, it's not that common with the sleeve it's more of a gastric bypass issues but can happen to some. The only gas I had was burping a lot in the beginning but not as much now. I breath felt gross during the 2 week Pre-op diet to to by body being in ketosis. Low carb will do that to you. I had a annoying metal taste in my mouth forever! Everything is back to normal now but I'm also 8 months post op. It takes time.

What was your start weight and where are you at now?

Thanks everyone!

I couldn't agree more! Thank you for politely saying this! I can't tell you how many times I've wanted to tell certain sleevers to get back to their own forum, they have no idea what they are talking about when it comes to the MGB!

I am new to this entire forum, I am 2 weeks post lap band to MGB, I thought I would get some tips in here, but all I see is a bunch of bitching, as stated already this is the MGB section of the forum. I am a male, I am 58 years old and from Australia, people need to chill out and be supportive, isn't this what this forum is for - thanks, as you were!!!!

If this bitching is the way this forum operates then I won't be around long, I am here for advice and support.

(BTW, 'bloke' is Australian for male - :) )

Edited by Aussie Bloke

I will have a look, thanks

Thanks everyone!

>I couldn't agree more! Thank you for politely saying this! I can't tell you how many times I've wanted to tell certain sleevers to get back to their own forum, they have no idea what they are talking about when it comes to the MGB!

I am new to this entire forum, I am 2 weeks post lap band to MGB, I thought I would get some tips in here, but all I see is a bunch of bitching, as stated already this is the MGB section of the forum. I am a male, I am 58 years old and from Australia, people need to chill out and be supportive, isn't this what this forum is for - thanks, as you were!!!!

If this bitching is the way this forum operates then I won't be around long, I am here for advice and support.

(BTW, 'bloke' is Australian for male - :) )

Also Australian, and have just joined Aussie Bloke, how are you getting on after your surgery? Are things going well? Have you had any negative impacts?

@@LipstickLady sleeves absolutely do stretch. I had an egd (scope in my sleeve) and I have a copy of the doctor's report that says my sleeve is dilated. He said it's stretched at the top and the bottom.