Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Walk Alone!

Major breakthrough this week: I no longer require a walking partner. I have a few good ones, but in the past when no one else was available I tended to skip that day. This is a pretty major walk around a lake and I benefit from it in so many ways. Twice this week I have gone alone (caveat, I do take my dog, who has to run to keep up with me) and it turns out I prefer it! I can go as fast as I want. I can do intermittent jogging to get my pulse up. I can stretch and stop/start/stop/start for an increase in cardio. I can think and let my mind wander rather than converse. The main thing is that before I was walking to benefit the other person -- that was my motivation -- and now I am doing it just for ME. Yippee!

I've worked out for many, many years (I'm going to be 54 this year). I have arthritis and have to move or I can't move at all, lol. I honestly thought I was a person who could not achieve the high of exercise but it turns out that I just wasn't working hard enough. For years I had a 45-minute workout but it turns out I need 60-70 minutes. I had to fake my way into liking exercise and now it's turning out to be the best part of my day.

To any one who isn't exercising yet but is considering it, I really recommend just walking a little further each day and a little faster each week. It's amazing how it adds up and what a difference it makes. I am not at my goal weight yet but I am fit and toned. I have no loose skin. And mentally, exercise cannot be beat.

@@Bandista this was excellent to read !

I'm looking to adopt a dog after I lose 200 pounds. It'll force me to walk it, and I love the idea of being able to rescue an animal

I have 2 rescue cats !

Those who rescue have a special place in my heart. We need more people like you out there.

@@Bandista I can really hear your joy in your post :D

Enjoy!!

Kate

So motivating to read! Thanks for posting and you go girl! :)

Good for you! This post was timely for me. My husband's arthritis frequently keeps him from joining me on my walks, and when he does come, he's kind of slow for me. So for the last two days, after our evening walk, I let him go home and I walk by myself for another half hour or so. This is a breakthrough for me because I have been too timid to wander too far in the evening by myself. But just like you, I find that I enjoy the alone time.

Congrats! I couldn't be happier for you!

Major breakthrough this week: I no longer require a walking partner. I have a few good ones, but in the past when no one else was available I tended to skip that day. This is a pretty major walk around a lake and I benefit from it in so many ways. Twice this week I have gone alone (caveat, I do take my dog, who has to run to keep up with me) and it turns out I prefer it! I can go as fast as I want. I can do intermittent jogging to get my pulse up. I can stretch and stop/start/stop/start for an increase in cardio. I can think and let my mind wander rather than converse. The main thing is that before I was walking to benefit the other person -- that was my motivation -- and now I am doing it just for ME. Yippee!

I've worked out for many, many years (I'm going to be 54 this year). I have arthritis and have to move or I can't move at all, lol. I honestly thought I was a person who could not achieve the high of exercise but it turns out that I just wasn't working hard enough. For years I had a 45-minute workout but it turns out I need 60-70 minutes. I had to fake my way into liking exercise and now it's turning out to be the best part of my day.

To any one who isn't exercising yet but is considering it, I really recommend just walking a little further each day and a little faster each week. It's amazing how it adds up and what a difference it makes. I am not at my goal weight yet but I am fit and toned. I have no loose skin. And mentally, exercise cannot be beat.

I loved this. I hope it helps me get motivated to move; have been procrastinating! But I'm like you, I've learned to almost prefer exercising alone. I can sort out all my worries and just go zen, lol. I listen to my ipod and it really does feel so good after you're done. I walk outside when I can, because it's like meditation to experience nature. (I live in the country)

I've had a personal goal to start jogging. I used to years ago, and it felt like such an accomplishment! I want to get back to that. Thank you

I was banded in January and it's not been all plain sailing but I am 50lb down. My 3 rescue dogs are responsible for half of this - I'm sure of it. I say get the rescue dog now, chances are they won't have been exercised much stuck in a dog pound and you can get fit together. That's exactly what happened to me. Now we walk two miles every evening and the best bit is my ankles don't swell any more. :)

Edited by tootyoyo

@@tootyoyo 50 pounds, way to go! So happy for you. And your doggies. Have fun!