Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Snatiation - Sneezing when full

Super weird topic, straight ahead!

I am just over 5 months out from surgery and a few months back I noticed that sometimes, if I ate to fullness, I would sneeze (just once or twice) right after reaching fullness. I thought it was just a coincidence and so I mostly just ignored it after that, but last night I finally thought I should google it, to see if it was just my imagination, or if any other weirdos out there had experienced the same thing, and it turns out that not only have other people experience it, but it's an actual THING, with a name and everything!

There is, apparently, a real medical condition called Snatiation (a portmanteau of sneezing+satiation) that is apparently an inherited trait (my mother is prone to bouts of unexplained sneezing, so I have a feeling this may come from her) and it is characterized by uncontrollable sneezing after eating to satiety. Crazy!

For me it happens maybe around 50% of the time (total guess, maybe only 25% of the time?) but only when I am completely full. (Probably something I rarely experienced prior to surgery!) And I only sneeze 1-2 times, not 3 or more. (Thank goodness.)

Just curious if anyone else has experienced this! We could start some sort of club. ;)

EDIT: Of course I spelled the word wrong in my title. If any mod has the ability to fix that (I apparently can't edit it) That would be awesome. It's Snatiation, not Snatation.

Edited by LipstickLady

When Miss Tummy has had enough, I will either have multiple sneezes or get the hiccups.

Thanks for the word. :)

My husband (who has not had WLS) has always had this condition. Interestingly, he characterizes it not as sneezing upon satiety, but upon over-eating.

If I eat too much I get a runny nose.

@@sharonintx this one is called gustatory rhinitis... I ran across that last night when reading!

@@VSGAnn2014 Yeah that's probably accurate. The difference between "fullness" and "overfullness" with me is very minute, haha. Hard to tell a real difference. I recall reading last night that it occurs when the stomach becomes "completely" full. Which I guess is what causes the discomfort most of us feel when we "over-eat."

@@Miss Mac Not both at the same time I hope!!! ;)

So relieved I only get a runny nose! When I sneeze while full now, everything seizes up so hard I sometimes vomit :(.

I'm still going to need to find a way to work "snatiation" into conversation, though - what a cool word!

I often get sneezing fits after I eat as well! My mom has always been like that too. Thanks for the explanation!

I have starting hiccupping, not every time but about twenty to thirty minutes after I have stopped eating, I hiccup - usually once.

Wow this type of thing seems to be more common than I would have guessed. See now you guys are making me question myself. I don't THINK I get a runny nose too, but it's possible. Sometimes after sneezing I BLOW my nose just out of habit but it doesn't run... ?? MAYBE? LOL. I will pay more attention next time

The sneezing fit happens to me but only if I overeat at Breakfast time. Runny nose too. Very weird!

This just started happening to me after I had the flu. I sneeze from the first bite or sip of Water, it doesn't wait until I am full. I am afraid to go anywhere that I may eat or drink. It's so frustrating. :-(

I get the hiccups when I’m getting to the point of full. I do sneeze when I’m nauseous though. Weird little tricks our bodies like to play post surgery, I guess!

Me too! Everyone thinks I am crazy!

Hey you are getting to know your new body and that's a big portion of the game, isn't it?