Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scared My Dr. Not Doing Right Thing

:help:I was banded one week ago yesterday. Another lady was done the same day -- we had our pre-op teaching together & will have post-op together tomorrow.

Our Dr. had us on Clear liquids 48 hours after the surgery, then on thin liquids (creams, etc.) after that. I was told that tomorrow at post-op we'd be put on food.

Everything I've heard & read about says that's not right. That stage should be many weeks out. Now I'm concerned. When I first found my Dr. I went to a seminar of his & he was holding it with another dr. My friend mentioned to me that the other dr. has his patients on the liquid 2 weeks post op, and that the 2 drs. don't "work" together any more. Now I'm REALLY concerned. I don't want there to be any complications down the line because it's not being done right. I'm afraid to mention anything to them, hence hearing "who would know better -- you or the dr?"

I called the "other" dr.'s office anonymously to ask why the difference and they basically said they couldn't help me that I'd have to take it up w/ the dr. who did the procedure. I asked if switching drs. is an option -- they said no.

I hope I haven't confused anyone -- but I'm so scared now, I don't know what to do. My friend said that she's having trouble with her port area --- a lot of oozing and pain. Our dr.'s nurse told her that tomorrow during post-op, they'd go in and remove some saline. (What?????)) I thought it wasn't supposed to have any in it yet until the healing has taken place.

I'm confused and scared now and don't know what to do???? Any suggestions?:help:

Not to worry....every surgeon's instructions are different, it seems, and sometimes it seems to vary even by patient. Your best bet is to listen to your OWN surgeon's instructions, and go by what he/she says to do.

It's hard to know who is "right", but I feel that if you're following your surgeon's instructions, then you're doing the best YOU can for yourself.

Hope this helps!

you do go to food--but is is the mushie stage!! cottage cheese/applesauce/pudding/mashed potatoes etc--don't worry about eating the wrong thing--your body willl let you know in short order.as for the oozing--you do not have saline in the band yet--but there could be liquid accumulated at the port sight--I had that problem but the body quickly absorbed the Fluid and all was well!! best of luck--use common sense and remember....doctors are PRACTICING medicine--when I don't agree with my doctor I gently remind him of what he does every day (PRACTICE) and that when he gets it perfect--he should call me! LOL!!!

I realize what you're saying, SweetViolet, but the dr. actually told the other lady who had the band the same day that we are already restricted with the band -- that they've actually put saline in it. So that's one reason why I'm so concerned. also-- the mushy stage you're referring to, they put me on that after the first 48 hours liquid. They said any of that stuff was OK as long as it was run through a blender first.

Am I worrying for nothing? I'm more concerned about the band already being restricted -- I've not heard of that/

I appreciate all the help. You are all wonderful!

Maybe I can help. I am a registered dietitian that has a lap band and works with a surgeon that does lap bands. I instruct all his patients on the diet stages before surgery. All surgeons do give different advice and advance the diet stages at different rates. Even the doc I work with advances too fast sometimes. I always tell my patients that if you move up a stage in consistancy and it doesn't go well, just go back to the previous stage. I usually recommend liquids for a week or two just because of post op swelling. But everybody is different and some can progress faster than others. I was on liquids for 3 weeks before I started mushies. As for the saline already being in your band. That is not supposed to happen until approximately 6-8 weeks post op. I hope that helps. Hang in there.

Thanks for all the info. I feel a little better as far as the diet goes, I'm only concerned now about the saline being in the band. I'm not sure what to think about that.

I'll see what happens at post-op teaching tomorrow and go from there.

Thanks everyone -- this just really scared me!!!! I don't want anything to mess this up.

I have saline in my band Of course it's not a lot but it's there. And so far it's helping me still feel restriction 6weeks after surgery. What you are saying about the food is exactly how my doctor had his set up So I say dont worry everything wil be fine

Thanks so much -- I'll talk to my friend about what everyone's said here. I'm sure she'll feel a lot better about it, too. Not sure why I had such a "panic attack" about it, but I just did. (Lack of food, I guess!!!)

I have the 11 cc VanGuard band and my doc put in 2 cc of saline when I got banded; believe me when I say it was NOT enough to make a difference! I was starving after the swelling went down and on 4 weeks of liquids. I didn't get my first official fill until I was 6 weeks out, but I believe it was one of the nurses that said they do sometimes put a cc or two in the band to "prime" it, so that may be all there is to it. I didn't even know I had anything in there till my 2-week postop visit, but I have a big band, and 2 cc of Fluid was like there was nothing in there!!

Don't be afraid to ask your doctor these things though, he/she should be happy to reassure you and answer your questions. Try to calm down and write down some questions to take to your post op teaching tomorrow. I know it's hard, but try not to get yourself all worked up, go in, talk to the doctor and go from there. I'm sure you'll be fine!

Good luck with everything and take care!

Every doctor is different. Some require 4-6 weeks of pre-op diet and others none at all. Some require 2 weeks of liquids (or more) post-op and others a few days. My doctor required no pre-op but then liquids for 2 weeks and mushies for another four weeks--that seemed much longer than most others. My point is, you need to trust your doctor but I think if you want to be more conservative, go ahead! If you would feel better about your post-op diet, just follow the one my doctor required. I think it's fine to err on the side of overdoing it (liquids longer, for instance) but not on the side of doing things before your doctor says to (like eating solids right after surgery).

Hope this makes sense! As far as removing saline from the port site, some doctors do fill the bands a little during surgery. I guess in all of this, you just have to trust your doctor while following your own intuition and knowledge. You won't hurt anything by being on liquids and mushies longer than he suggested, so do that if you are more comfortable.

Maybe I can help. I am a registered dietitian that has a lap band and works with a surgeon that does lap bands. I instruct all his patients on the diet stages before surgery. All surgeons do give different advice and advance the diet stages at different rates. Even the doc I work with advances too fast sometimes. I always tell my patients that if you move up a stage in consistancy and it doesn't go well, just go back to the previous stage. I usually recommend liquids for a week or two just because of post op swelling. But everybody is different and some can progress faster than others. I was on liquids for 3 weeks before I started mushies. As for the saline already being in your band. That is not supposed to happen until approximately 6-8 weeks post op. I hope that helps. Hang in there.

Im am the friend that LadyBlue is speaking of. When they took the xray post op, there shows restriction already. I am having difficulty even with liquids. It feels very heavy and uncomfortable. When I spoke to the doctor's office today, they explained that because of the uncomfortable feeling that they will remove saline from the band tomorrow so that I will not be as restricted. I am also concerned with the fact that he is injecting a needle in the area where I am oozing. That seems a little "unsafe".

Thanks for all the info. I feel a little better as far as the diet goes, I'm only concerned now about the saline being in the band. I'm not sure what to think about that.

I'll see what happens at post-op teaching tomorrow and go from there.

Thanks everyone -- this just really scared me!!!! I don't want anything to mess this up.

Hi there, I am not banded yet, but read SO MUCH and I have seen where other people do get some saline at banding time. I think that it differs from surgeon to surgeon and patient to patient. Have a lil faith, the doctor's that can use the lap band are trained and should know how to "install" them and operate them. Maybe do search or start a new thread with a poll about others having saline in at time of banding. Jsut don't panic yet it won't do any good.

Good luck.

PS... I know it's not easy to get a new doc no matter where banded.. but don't give up if you want to find another keep searching, calling and you will find someone. Good luck.

The OOZING is normal 3-5 days 1-2weeks post-op.

I'd ask specifically at the visit, and then if there IS saline in place, say that you've not read of that and can he help you understand why.

As for diet. It is still our choice what goes in our mouth.