Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banding.....August 2007! Who else?

Hi!

My name is Lisa and I have a surgery date of August 6th. I am an RN who works in the ER and have had the pleasure of getting to know the doc over many years of working with him in an ER setting. I am self pay (!) as our insurance considers WLS "cosmetic" but am hoping at the end of the year I can recoup some of the medical expense when I do my taxes. The important thing is getting this done and on with my life in better health. BTW...am sure having a hard time navigating this site. I get e-mails saying I have a response , but can not find them...any suggestions?? Lisa

Welcome Pratster... I am scheduled Aug 7th myself. Where are you located and where are you doing your surgery? Curious... since you are self pay and know the surgeon is he giving you a break in his fees?

Hi Everybody,

I live in the Cayman Islands and am flying to the States (Myrtle Beach, SC) on August 20 and then flying to San Diego on August 23 for my surgery with Dr. Ortiz in Tijuana!

Getting excited and scared!

Anyone else heading to Mexico?

Dottie

Hi Stacie,

I live in Oregon and the hospital where I work and am having it done is Sky Lakes Medical Center. The surgeon is Dr. Mirande. He has gotten a contract w/ the hospital to do the procedure at what is considered a very competitive cost (Just a little more than Mexico) plus 2 free fills. I live about 5 miles from the hospital. Lisa

Hi Everyone!! I am hoping for an August date as well....everything is on track so far for it. Nerves haven't set in yet, but I am ready to start working into those skinny pants, that is for sure! I live in PA and will have my surgery done by Dr.Ali at Hamot.

I also should be part of this group. I was told i will get my date on 7/3 and think it will be last week in July or sometime in Aug.

I also should be part of this group. I was told i will get my date on 7/3 and think it will be last week in July or sometime in Aug.

Welcome hope you get your date soon. I don't know about the rest of you but right now August seems so far to me. I am dying waiting for my July 12th apt. Gives me too much time to think about it. Oh well guess I will stick to reading my book (by Dr Ortiz) and reading the message boards.

Self pay here and if all works out well the goal is August.

WOW 10 kids, you have earned my respect. And a midwife, I am so jealous. If I could pick a new career (and not have to do schooling) midwife would be my choice. Well, welcome to August bandsters. Have you started the process?:clap2:

I am not sure if I will be late July or early August. I have an appointment with the surgeon ( Dr. Marquez in Austin, TX) on Wednesday and hope to have an answer then. I am self-paying so I hope they will be able to 'squeeze me in' as soon as possible. Also, I am a teacher and really hope to be up and about before it's time to go back to school.

I went for my exercise orientation today and was surprised to find out there were no tests, only talk. How important it's to exercise etc... I have been going to Curves 3x week for a year, so the woman seemed at a loss on what to say to me. But she did stress the importance of exercising pre-op t avoid complication such as blood clots. And post-op to speed up your metabolism and accelerate weight loss. I can't wait to see the nutricionist and see what he has to say.

I am not sure if I will be late July or early August. I have an appointment with the surgeon ( Dr. Marquez in Austin, TX) on Wednesday and hope to have an answer then. I am self-paying so I hope they will be able to 'squeeze me in' as soon as possible. Also, I am a teacher and really hope to be up and about before it's time to go back to school.

I went for my exercise orientation today and was surprised to find out there were no tests, only talk. How important it's to exercise etc... I have been going to Curves 3x week for a year, so the woman seemed at a loss on what to say to me. But she did stress the importance of exercising pre-op t avoid complication such as blood clots. And post-op to speed up your metabolism and accelerate weight loss. I can't wait to see the nutricionist and see what he has to say.

Isn't it amazing how people think... jsut because we are over weight it must mean we don't excercise. Some poeple are just so ignorant.

Well good luck on your surgery date.. we will be waiting to hear.

Hi all,

I have my surgery August 1st!!! Is anyone having their's done in Mississauga Ontario?

Hi Stacie,

I live in Oregon and the hospital where I work and am having it done is Sky Lakes Medical Center. The surgeon is Dr. Mirande. He has gotten a contract w/ the hospital to do the procedure at what is considered a very competitive cost (Just a little more than Mexico) plus 2 free fills. I live about 5 miles from the hospital. Lisa

Sounds like a great deal... i like the idea myself of having the doctor SOOOO close. Makes me feel more comfortable. Is your doctor experienced? DId you feel comfortable with him (or her)?

Hi all,

I have my surgery August 1st!!! Is anyone having their's done in Mississauga Ontario?

Ok I really am not that stupid, but i take it that's Ontario Canada not Ontario California??? If it is Canada, how is the process like there with insurance? Any easier than you hear for the states?

Hi.

Yes it's Ontario, Canada. No, the lap band is not covered by insurance here but the gastric bypass is. You can apply for some sort of coverage that helps pay for the surgery but you pay it all back. The price for surgery here is $16 000 canadian.

I am going to be banded in August. After two years of hoping, wishing,

and praying, things have fallen into place and it's here!!!! My insurance

would not cover it, so I have to self pay. I am a bit nervous about the actual procedure and the lifestyle change, but I am determined to do it.

I will be forty in a few short years and I want to be healthy and slim

for the rest of my life! :clap2: