Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone bee sucessful without fills ?

Just curious if anyone has been sucessful with out ever getting a fill ?My Dr said some people change so much mentally and are so ready they never get a fill. I actually have a fear of the band on gettig something stuck so I am anxious how I do between now and my firs fill the third week in July. I am only 11 days post op so I may regret that thought seeings I am not totally healed my appitite may come back but for now I am fine, no hunger just mentally missing the habit of eating.

Kim:)

i HAVE HAD THE BAND ONE YEAR TODAY- AND NEVER HAD A FILL! I also have a ton of trouble just eating period. I cant get much to go down so I am majorly picky and really need to watch what I eat so I dont irritate my stomach. I have lost 62 pouds to date and have another 60 to lose- but I really believe this is a two year process and it will come off with time. I am just thrilled with my new body! Good luck to you,

In the first 3 weeks of my journey, I was convinced I was going to be one of the those people who never needed a fill. I know I've read posts over the last six months from others who started losing right away and maintained the loss to reach goal without ever getting a fill. I was not hungry at all in the beginning and actually had to remind myself to eat - it was wonderful!!! Then, just shy of three weeks, I don't know what happened but all of a sudden my hunger came back with a vengance. Ever since then I've been struggling to not over eat. I guess this is what people call "bandster hell". I can't wait for my fill on June 25!!!!!!!

It sure proves that everyone is very diffferent in their journey but as long as we're all successful, it does really matter how you get there.;)

I had my surgery Nov. 10, 2005, lost 111 lbs., been maintaining since July 25, 2006. Yes, I am coming up on a year of maintaining and never had a fill. I don't have any problems eating but did make my mind up that I was going to eat healthy foods and that is what helped me lose the weight. I can eat EVERYTHING that I choose to eat. I can chew every Protein out there and I never got sick.

Josephine

It is a big mental thing I had my banding on 3/5/07 did fabulous with out a fill. Started to get very hungry and found I could eat more. The stomach is swollen post op once the swelling goes down you will become hungry. I had my first fill on 5/30/07 it is fine you have to chew and slow down no liquids with your meal etc. follow the rules.

I'm under no illusions that I could have done this without any fill but I am very loose (by bandster terms, lol). I can eat all foods, including bread, I dont PB and only get stuck every now and then.

My band just takes the edge off my hunger. I've never come anywhere close to a "sweet spot" the way other people talk about it.

I guess I just WAS really ready. I made the changes, the biggest one being to begin running regularly. My loss was moderate slow, it took a good year to lose the 80lbs I needed to, I was never a star loser like that, but I've lost it now and glad I didnt have to live on a few grains of rice to do it.

As a result of being looser, yes, I did/do need more "willpower" and I'm actually thinking of a slight adjustment again as I'm finding myself hungry and eating a lot lately. But I didnt suffer any of the usual problems either - no hair loss, no Constipation, no episodes of being too tight, two tiny PB's in 18 months etc.

I'm still rather new, I was banded in March. I'm with out a fill. I call my band Phyllis.

At anyrate, if you are in the right frame of mind, one where you are ready to do what it takes to lose weight, eat properly and exercise, you CAN do it without a fill. An empty band does make some physiological changes. In your head you need to have the behavioral parts and the congnative parts in line too. I think it takes all three.

I've lost 2.5 pounds a week average since the first of the year, when I started eating like a loser and moving more.

HTH.

I was banded on 4/30/07 and am scheduled for my first fill on 6/26/07. I have restriction without a fill and it's almost impossible for me to eat bread. I have lost 36 pounds and feel that I can keep going, but I will keep my appointment for next week.

I also feel that there is a huge mental change with me after my surgery. I have completely changed the way that I eat. I eat a lot of fish, chicken and turkey. I also walk just about everyday and workout at Curves. I have totally changed my way of life.

Good luck with the band!!!

Tina

I'm only a little over two weeks out and can't WAIT for a fill! I've very loose...although I do get a tiny bit of restriction and can't eat "as much" I still get hungry faster than I should and therefore this feels like just another diet right now...but I'm hopeful of reaching my sweet spot within a few fills and hopefully by then I'll also be mentally adjusted to the band as well. This is a MUCH larger mental adjustment than I could have imagined, but I AM adjusting! That's what counts :)

It is so much more of a mental chage than than a physical . I sometimes feel lost, I dont smoke or drink now I hardly eat, LOL Not much left but the rewards will be so worth it Maybe I need a hobby . I think eating and planning where to eat or what to make was my hobby and a huge part of my happiness. It's sad but true. I know it will get easier when people start to notice my weight loss I will gain more strength because of being so happy. Hang in there we will all get through it :)

Kim

Kim

You can still plan new and better for you food. You can still plan to go to restaurants, but go less frequently to better quality places.

Exercise (go ahead and smack me) is a great hobby. My new interests are seeing my collar bones and feeling stronger.

Again, you can smack me--but seriously, you had this surgery so you could shed the past that got you heavy. Look at the new uncharted territory you get to blast through, instead of where you have been. Where you were might have been cozy at times, but I'm sure it had it's bad points too.

Good Lucky.

J

Kim

You can still plan new and better for you food. You can still plan to go to restaurants, but go less frequently to better quality places.

Exercise (go ahead and smack me) is a great hobby. My new interests are seeing my collar bones and feeling stronger.

Again, you can smack me--but seriously, you had this surgery so you could shed the past that got you heavy. Look at the new uncharted territory you get to blast through, instead of where you have been. Where you were might have been cozy at times, but I'm sure it had it's bad points too.

Good Lucky.

J

You are so right ! What wonderful inspriational words. Thank you so much I appreciat it. I am anxious to do a more exercise than just walking. I am 12 days post-op and still the band area is very sore when I move certain ways but when I fell better I am gonna give it all I got ! I too look forward to seeing those collar bones Haha

Thanks again

Kim:)

I lost ~100lbs before i had my first fill. I went ahead and got a fill once I was regularly getting hungry. Since then I've had 2 small fills and I'm rarely if ever hungry.