Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

LAP-Band Vet asking for advice!

Hi! I'm Stephanie. I originally posted in the wrong section, so forgive me.

I have been banded for 5 years! I have been noted as being one of the success stories for my area. I lost a total of 137 pounds with hard work and then assistance of my band!

After losing the weight, I had 10 pounds of excess skin removed and I was ready to move on with my life! My surgeon that removed the skin told me that in some band patients, as the swelling from my skin removal subsided, my band could potentially tighten. Did it ever! I got down to 147 pounds and eventually had trouble drinking Water (all of a sudden one morning). I went and talked with my lap band doc and he decided to take all of my Fluid out. He scheduled an upper GI and I was unable to have my X-ray done because I found that I was pregnant. I told myself, "you know what to do, so just take care of you and baby." To my dismay, I miscarried at about 10 weeks. Since then, I emotionally ate because I was sad. One morning, I looked in the mirror (after gaining 36 pounds) and realized, "this is how you got as big as you were, get it together." So, I started working with a nutritionist and a trainer 3 months ago. In that time, despite my hard work, I have only managed to lose 4 pounds. Weightloss is good, though! I was tired all of the time and never had energy. I am also hypothyroid diagnosed. I met with an endocrinologist at the beginning of the week to have a complete blood panel and talk about my struggles. He told me with a smirk that patients with hypothyroid only can be purely successful with the assistance of WLS. Then proceeds to tell me that my surgeon no longer offers banding. That my doctor saw that the failure rate was far too high. He's strictly sleeve and bypass now. I suggests converting my band to sleeve since I ran into so many complications.

So, I contacted my band surgeon's office to tell all of this to. An upper GI has been ordered and I have an appointment with my band doctor next week. I was told he only converts band patients to sleeve if they meet certain requirements. What I'm wondering now is if I actually weigh enough to qualify.

SW: 268

GW: 145

CW: 179

Has anyone else gone through any of these struggles or have similar personal experiences? I know that I'll officially know next week during my doctor's visit if I qualify but I worry and stress over things like this ahead of time. Any kind words, similar stories or advice would be much obliged. I'm feeling like a failure at this point and need some friends.

Thanks for reading,

Stephanie

Memphis, TN

Hi Stephanie

I don't have any knowledge to pass on about converting to the sleeve but was wondering why you aren't trying to use your band again?? Maybe build up with small fills and get back to basics with your band and you could lose again. I'm starting over after 3 years happy to help if I can

@@sbrick take it one day at a time. Try to work with your band again while you have it in. If there is nothing wrong with it, I would try to get right back to basics as @@jolizziejones mentioned above.

It worked for you, you are a success. Yes you had a set back and a very emotional one. You gained a few pounds back, and your hormones are not in balance right now. So don't beat yourself up if you haven't dropped the weight as quickly as you did before. Right now your body is working to figure out what's going on..and it will catch up it's been through a bit of a gambit.

If your band is in good position and you have no esophagus damage, I would recommend working the band again and not worrying about having to change your WLS because of something the endo Dr. told you.

Your hormones including your thyroid could be off for many reasons and that's what he should be treating you for. You are a success and an inspiration, I have seen many people lose extreme amounts of weight and keep it off with the band.

Good luck to you and let us know how your doing!!

Thank you guys so much! You have no idea how much that helps hearing from you! I'll post after my doc visits next week! Have a happy easter!

Can you find a new doctor to do the after care? I wouldn't have a whole new surgery just because my doctor doesn't offer after care anymore. Doesn't seem like a medically valid reason, especially if you were having such success.

I am in the process of switching docs now. I have an appt in two weeks to meet with her and discuss everything!