Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band to sleeve in one procedure

Has anyone on here had it done in one procedure? Please share your story. My doc is going to try to do it in one procedure. I was banded in 2006.

I was banded in 05. I went in October last year for band to sleeve revision, and my doctor told me it was 50/50 that he would be able to do it depending on the amount of scar tissue and adhesions. Once he got in there he found the damage was extensive and just did the band removal and removed scar tissue to prepare for the Sleeve surgery. I was banded 5 months later (this month!) and surgery and recovery went very smoothly.

I was banded in 2008. I was sleeved on Jan 19, had the band removed and sleeved in the same operation but I had minimal scar tissue. Dr said mine was easy. That's his usual MO but he has had surgeries where he did has done two separate. M y surgery went well no complications during or after.

Hope this info helps. Good luck to you!

I was banded in 2008. Had the revision surgery on 2/4. I had minimal scar tissue, the doc said my band had started to slip and I had a small hiatel hernia he repaired. The recovery/ healing process went very smooth and I was expecting worse since it was all done in 1 surgery but was pleasantly suprised

I was banded in 2010. Was revised to sleeve in one operation in October. The surgery took at bit longer than a straight sleeve because of scarring, but the recovery wasn't bad at all! I love the sleeve. I feel like a normal person again!

I was banded in March 2007. I was de-banded and sleeved on March 17th 2015. The procedure took about an hour and a half and my recovery has gone well. I hope I am more successful with the sleeve than I was with the band.

I was banded in March of 2012 and last monday (March 23 2015) I had the band removed and the gastric sleeve done in one operation. The surgery went well, BUT I was in the hospital for 4 days and 3 nights because I was in alot of pain (much more than the band surgery had been), was throwing up a bit of blood, and could not keep down liquids for the first two days. I am amazingly doing much much better a full 7 days later and am on full liquid diet doing just fine and walking 30 to 45 min daily. I am still very sore (to be expected), but overall it wasn't awful. I would say doing it all in one surgery is just more of a shock to your system and stomach so expect a bit more time in hospital.

I was also de-banded and sleeved in one operation. I was in the hospital for two nights with no complications or issues. I will begin my puree food phase in three more days. I hope it continues to go well for me.

I was banded in 2002 and sleeved 8 weeks ago. It was no problem, even though I had a large amount of adhesions from multiple abdominal surgeries.

I have to go tomorrow for a ultra sound,my doctor says I have gull stones.I was also banded in 2008,and now I am thinking about the sleeve.I have a small leak in my band and need something else done.If I need my gallbladder out I would like the band fixed or removed and sleeve done at the same time.Dr.says it shouldn't be a problem unless alot of scar tissue.Very Very nervous-Any infro on this and also does anyone know about insurance with the revision?I have Pomco for my insurance now,Has anyone else used Pomco for the revision?Any infro about anything to do with the revision,recovery,ins,or just overall info would be helpful.Thank you!!!

Good luck

Edited by LSF

I'm curious - because I was banded in 2009 and haven't had much success (about 25 lbs lost) - is this the reason most are going from band to sleeve? Or does there have to be a band malfunction of some sort for insurance to cover this?

I just found out that I will have to have my gallbladder out. I'm going to the doctor next week to discuss the ultrasound they did. I'm thinking I might talk to him about revision surgery. But if there has to be a band slip or something of that nature I guess I wouldn't be covered :-/

I just had my revision 3 weeks ago- it was a one shot deal but my doc said I had a lot of scar tissue around my bad which was probably a result of throwing up so often. He removed the scar tissue and I feel great!

When my band was in, I had horrible acid reflux, frequent vomiting, and my food would regularly get stuck. I would go in to have the band loosened, but then gain weight. I did lose about 80 lbs. on the band, but gained almost all of it back. Once I had the ban completely unfilled, I gained over 30 pounds in one month. It definitely did not work for me. I am two weeks post op and hope I have success with the sleeve.

I'm curious - because I was banded in 2009 and haven't had much success (about 25 lbs lost) - is this the reason most are going from band to sleeve? Or does there have to be a band malfunction of some sort for insurance to cover this?

I just found out that I will have to have my gallbladder out. I'm going to the doctor next week to discuss the ultrasound they did. I'm thinking I might talk to him about revision surgery. But if there has to be a band slip or something of that nature I guess I wouldn't be covered :-/

I wasn't losing with the band. Had started to develop acid reflux and as my upper pouch would fill up which would make me stop eating, as soon as it passed through the band I would be hungry again. With the sleeve, I actually feel full. There is no waiting for it to pass so I can start eating again. I'm just full