Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery Scheduled for Gastro Sleeve and I'm panicking!

OK this has been what I have wanted for years and I finally did all the steps and had support to get to this step, now that it is real, I am of course panicking. My surgery date is April 7. My liquid pre op diet starts tomorrow as well as my pre op visit to the hospital. I must admit reading this forum is giving me the extra step I need to push on. Any advise on how not to starve for the next 2 weeks and how to mentally prepare for this procedure.

Well I can only tell you that I am just finishing up my all liquid pre-op fast and it wasn't nearly as bad as I expected. If you stick to the Protein Shakes they keep you surprisingly full and I was allowed to fill in with sugar free Jello and popsickles. I did have a weak moment of eatting two dill pickles but that was to satisfy my need to crunch! Distract yourself with things you've been meaning to do and Keep yourself busy, it will pass quickly and soon you'll be on your way into the O.R...oh and go to bed early with a good book! Good Luck!

Thank you!! Good luck with your surgery

The pre op diet is not that bad. I did a shake for Breakfast, 1/2 a shake for a snack, a shake for lunch and up to 2 cups of baby carrots, 1/2 a shake for a snack, a full shake for dinner and up to 2 cups of steamed broccoli and a full shake for a snack before bed. It really gets you used to drinking your Protein shakes for after surgery. Good luck on the start of your journey. Trust me it will be worth it :)

Edited by Jendroppinglbs

The Protein Shakes will make the liquid phase tolerable. Don't worry, surgery will come and go before you know it and you will be on your way to a new life. We have all been there and from what I've seen very few ever regret it. (I certainly don't!)

Thank you very much jendroppinglbs!! I am definitely going to try your suggestions. I would have never thought of doing it that way

Mike4132 thank you! I am indeed looking forward to some awesome results

Don't stress it will all be fine. Relax or keep busy if it helps by getting everything together that you will need in advance. Good luck to you!

I am on my last day of the pre-op diet and it hasn't been bad. I get one meal a day except for today because surgery s tomorrow. I got a high Protein shake and it helped me to stay full. Keep a stool softener near by because all that Protein will constipate you. I drink tons of Water also and I haven't had any problems.

Good luck and it really does fly by. I can't believe I'll wake up and go in for surgery tomorrow. ????????

The pre op diet is not that bad. I did a shake for Breakfast, 1/2 a shake for a snack, a shake for lunch and up to 2 cups of baby carrots, 1/2 a shake for a snack, a full shake for dinner and up to 2 cups of steamed broccoli and a full shake for a snack before bed. It really gets you used to drinking your Protein shakes for after surgery. Good luck on the start of your journey. Trust me it will be worth it :)

You had to drink 5 shakes a day!?!??!! :faint:

That sounds worse than all broth and Jello.

:wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

I am a weird one lol. I really like the flavor of the Premier Protein chocolate shake and they are so filling to me so drinking 5 shakes a day was not that bad for me :)

I had to look at my pre-op instructions again. I am supposed to have 4 Protein shakes a day, and fill in with broth, Water, SF Jello, SF Popsicles, Crystal Lite, G2 Gatorade. Mine starts on 4/16. Only a week. I plan on sleeping when I'm not at work. And dusting I definitely need to do some dusting. Keep my hands busy and the house clean. :P

Thank you very much jendroppinglbs!! I am definitely going to try your suggestions. I would have never thought of doing it that way

Your welcome it worked for me so I hope it works for you too. Keep us updated :)