Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is occasional Nsaids okay post-op?

Hi Everyone, I am very new on this journey and am still in the early steps of the process but I was very glad to find this forum to read about & share experiences with others who have shared in this journey... I just had my 1st appt. with the surgeon & attended a 2 hr. informational seminar yesterday, I am strongly leaning toward the sleeve, however, one of the concerns that was brought up was eliminating the use of Nsaids (Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs). I've tried to do some research online and it's sounding like it's a bigger concern with the other 2 types of gastric surgery and/or with consistent use... I take occasional prescription medication for Migraines (Treximet), that contains an Nsaid component but is not fully an Nsaid. No other medications work for my migraines and I have never had any stomach problems or difficulties with it. I was wondering how other people here are dealing with use of Nsaids or how necessary it is to eliminate it altogether with the sleeve? I know the recommendation is always to consult the physician but I also wanted to know from those who are living with this. I appreciate all your thoughts and feedback.

Hugs :)

I was honestly surprised when I asked my surgeon about this because I was always under the impression that NSAIDs were absolutely out of the question after surgery. He told me as long as they weren't more than once or twice a week that they wouldn't be a problem. I also get Migraines (a few times a year) but at almost 9 weeks post-op, I've barely even had a headache (which were several times a week) much less a Migraine.< /p>

I am allowed to have them on occasion. You will just need to clear it with your surgeon.

I was told by my surgeon that NSAIDS were not allowed PostOp. He said if I was in pain I could take Tylenol.

One of the reason I chose the sleeve over RNY was because I need to take NSAIDs. My doc said never with RNY, but ok with the sleeve. I take them almost every day and have for two years.

You're going to get really different answers and opinions on this; I can't figure out why the opinions are so different! They either are or are not ok for the sleeve - WHICH IS IT?! My surgeon HIMSELF told me it was ok (for my arthritis), which is why I went with the sleeve. Then last night I go to the support group meeting where we had an "anti-drug of any type" nurse who told us all they were very bad for us and to never use them! Now SHE works for the guy, so WHAT DO I DO NOW? He is a surgeon, she a nurse. These conflicting opinions within the same office are not helping anyone. So my dietician suggested if we take them, to take them with yogurt, cheese, milk.....something to coat the stomach. I like the Advil Liquid-Gels, and she (dietician) said that might be the better of the choices as it melts with the body, so it might (MIGHT) pass through the sleeve before dissolving, which would the best for the sleeve. WHO KNOWS? You got me....

Hmmmm interesting variances. I was told no NSAIDS but Tylenol was ok. I was also told no asprin (is that an NSAID?)

Reason was they can eat away the stomach lining and cause ulcers. In our previously larger stomachs this wasn't an issue becuse we had more surface area to absorb the meds but now we don't. Maybe it's individual to the person if they're allowed? I am at high risk for an ulcer because I had GERD preop (no trouble since) and I'm allergic to omeprazole so I have to take protonix for treatment. I'm curious to those of you that said you take them regularly, do you have(had) any issues with GERD?

Since you can see we all received different answers, it might be a good idea for you to discuss with you PCP and your surgeon. Good Luck!

I think I have taken the Advil 3 times (and only in the evening) since I had the surgery, when I can't bear the pain anymore (I have really had to hold myself back-if you knew my pain history, you'd understand!). I haven't had any problems. Now, last night at our support group meeting, I asked the "dumb" question of how will I know if I am having problems, and they ALL yelled "when it hurts!!!".....ok, blush, hide in the darkest closet.....

I was told they're fine in limited amounts, particularly if you're on a PPI anyway. Had the same question this week about a prednisone pack I needed to finish kicking this respiratory crud I've been carrying around for 6 weeks. Fine with a PPI. I can tell you the the prednisone is kicking my a$$. I don't remember it being an issue pre-op when I'd take one of these things but now, gotta take it with food and it's got me wired, tummy making loud noises, (no pain) and itchy. Weird. But no coughing so I'm trying to muscle thru it. I take aleve or advil only on occasion if Tylenol isn't getting the job done.

I was told no NSAIDs for life. I am 64 and have chronic back conditions as well as arthritis - so Tylenol doesn't work. One factor in my consideration of the sleeve.

I was told that NSAIDs (yes, aspirin is one) can cause ulcers and thin the lining of the stomach.

But each person has to make the decision for themselves and based on what their doctor says.

I have had the lap band since 2008 and use NSAIDS regularly, have had follow up endoscopies (everything is fine) and have never had a problem nor was I told I couldn't use NSAIDS after the band.

I found this information which might be of some assistance.

The reduced stomach size with all types of gastric surgery presents a major problem with the use of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). Administration of NSAIDs carries an increased risk for serious damage to the stomach pouch, which may result in gastric ulcers. NSAIDs can cause this damage through direct irritation of the GI mucosa due to their acidic properties and through their systemic effects, which include the inhibition of cyclooxygenase (COX)-1 leading to reduced prostaglandin synthesis and a decrease in production of gastric mucous that protects the stomach epithelium from damage.

Because of these effects, use of NSAIDs should be avoided if possible, and alternative oral pain medications, such as acetaminophen, should be substituted. These alternatives are safer for patients who have undergone bariatric surgery because they do not carry the risk of causing damage to the stomach mucosa; however, the absorption of different pain medications in the post-bariatric surgery population is largely unknown and likely highly variable depending on the specific drug and patient characteristics. When NSAIDs cannot be avoided, it may be beneficial to select an NSAID that is more selective for COX-2 (such as celecoxib [Celebrex] and meloxicam [Mobic, others]), because these will have fewer effects on the secretion of gastric mucous. Addition of a H2 receptor antagonist, proton pump inhibitor, or misoprostol also should be considered with prolonged use of any NSAIDS in this at risk population.

I was told occasional nsaids were ok after three months out.

I take prescription NSAIDs for my arthritis and surgeon said it was fine...he said people who need to take long term meds without worrying about absorption like the rny should go the sleeve.

For decades pre-op, I took 2 Aleve or ibuprofen daily.

I stopped taking Aleve about 4 months pre-op.

I've taken a single Aleve only 3 times post-op (7 months and 1 week ago).

I'm not dead yet. Nor do I have an ulcer. ;)

And thanks to VSG surgery my horribly arthritic knees no longer hurt. That's been one of the GREATEST benefits of WLS. I'd never have imagined I'd be completely pain free.

@@Hugs :) - I'd suggest asking your Doc. You will receive a variety of answers on a forum like this, and it's easy to go along with the answers you like. If your Doc says no, and you don't like that answer, then a good source for a second reliable opinion is another Doctor. For what it's worth, my Doc's answer to this was Tylenol.