Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fast Food: What to Eat When the Unthinkable Happens

You are absolutely determined to lose your extra weight for good. You get weight loss surgery and are 100 percent committed to your high-protein, low-calorie weight loss surgery diet. You clear the junk from your kitchen and stock up on healthy foods. And, of course, you vow never to eat fast food again.

That may work for a while, but sooner or later, you’re going to find yourself at a fast food restaurant. It may be because your friends or family insist on going. Or, it could be your only option at a time when you’ve forgotten to prepare a healthy meal, or you’re running late in the morning before work or in the evening after work.

Don’t panic. Wherever you are, you can find a healthy meal that has some Protein and won’t make you gain weight. Just stay calm so you can make a good choice. Here are some suggestions for the top six fast food restaurants in the U.S.

1. McDonald’s

Some people may blame it for America’s obesity epidemic, but the country’s top hamburger restaurant actually offers some choices you can live with. Skip bacon, fries, sauces and dressings, anything with double or triple the meat, and anything labeled “crispy.” You can always get away with ordering a burger or sandwich without the bun or bread, or eating just the filling from a snack wrap.

The following are good bets.

• An egg white delight muffin, with or without the English muffin, for Breakfast.< /span>
  • A fruit ‘n’ Yogurt Parfait without the granola topping or oatmeal with apples and without cream, for breakfast.
  • A grilled sweet chicken chili or Southwest chicken snack wrap without ranch sauce and without the tortilla.
  • A grilled chicken sandwich, hamburger, or cheeseburger without the bun or bread.
  • A salad with grilled chicken.
  • Apple slices or a tangerine on the side.

2. Subway

Subway can live up to its reputation of being a weight loss-friendly restaurant, but not all menu items are good choices for your weight loss surgery diet. Watch out for their breads – none are whole grain – and skip the pizza. Also, beware of fatty fillings like seafood and tuna salad and meatballs. Of course, stay away from sides and Desserts like chips and Cookies.

• Egg white and ham on flatbread (or just eat the filling without the bread) for breakfast.
  • Salads with lean Proteins like black forest ham, oven roasted chicken breast, turkey breast, a veggie patty, steak, or ham.
  • Apple slices and Water to go with your meal.
  • Tons veggies to make your sandwich more filling and nutritious but still low-calorie.
  • Mustard, balsamic vinaigrette, or a fat-free sauce.

3. Starbucks

Don’t blow your diet on beverages. If you’re not careful, you could get 600 calories and 80 grams of carbohydrates from a single drink at Starbucks. And the baked goods? Best not to even look at them, unless you want to risk dumping syndrome. Still, you can get away with a Starbucks drink or meal that you don’t need to be embarrassed to tell your surgeon about.

• Decaffeinated coffee or tea without milk or whipped cream. Use almond milk and sugar-free Syrup if you want to jazz up your beverage.
  • Spinach and feta breakfast wrap, egg and cheddar breakfast sandwich, or reduced-fat turkey bacon breakfast sandwich without the tortilla or bread.
  • Fresh fruit.
  • Chicken and hummus bistro box.

4. Wendys

Like McDonald’s, Wendy’s is another hamburger restaurant that can really do some damage if you’re not careful – but you can get away with a high-protein, low-calorie meal if you do your homework first. Stick to “Jr.” sized burgers and skip the fries, chicken nuggets, fried chicken, and bacon.

• Salads with grilled chicken and without high-calorie dressings or toppings.
  • Jr. burgers and cheeseburgers and grilled chicken sandwiches and wraps without the bun or bread and with mustard instead of a fatty or sugary sauce or dressing.
  • A side salad and apple slices.
  • Unsweetened iced tea.

5. Burger King

What can we say? Americans like their hamburgers. Burger King is the third hamburger restaurant that ranks in the top five fast food chains in the U.S. You know the drill. Skip the bacon, fries, onion rings, double and triple burgers, and crispy chicken, and don’t even think about sundaes, shakes or pies – unless you want to feel sick from the sugar. There are plenty of options for high-protein meals as long as you skip the bun.

• Maple flavored oatmeal with apple slices for breakfast.
  • Ham, egg, and cheese biscuit without the biscuit for breakfast.
  • Yumbo hot ham and cheese sandwich without the hoagie bun and with mustard instead of mayo.< /span>
  • Tendergrill chicken sandwich, veggie burger, or Whopper Jr. without a bun or mayo.
  • Side salad.
  • Chicken, apple, and cranberry salad without the cranberries, or chicken Caesar salad without the croutons.

6. Taco Bell

As with the other restaurants, you can get in big trouble at Taco Bell, or you can get a good meal. Stick to the smaller menu items and choose from the Fresco menu to get items under 350 calories. Taco Bell offers plenty of high-protein menu items, but you’re better off skipping the tortillas, taco shells, and tortilla chips.

• A.M. Grilled Taco or Crunchwrap without the burrito or taco shell, if you must get breakfast at Taco Bell.
  • Chicken taco or burrito without the tortilla or taco shell.
  • Salsa, pico de gallo, hot sauce, red sauce, or pizza sauce.
  • Fresco grilled steak or chicken soft taco.
  • Fiesta taco salad with chicken or steak and without rice – don’t eat the shell.

Great tips Alex. The chicken paninis are pretty good options at Starbucks. That and a cup of regular coffee works very well for a healthier option. I even have a regular burger once in a while. If you eat it without the bun or half a bun, you're fine.

Like you say, just don't panic and don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. You can eat fast food once in a while and not get totally derailed.

I would add:

McDonald's. Scrambled eggs. Sausage. Bacon. Yes, I eat bacon.

Subway. Soup.

Wendy's. Chili.

Thanks for the tips!

I eat bacon too, I find it too hard to do low carb and low fat together, some of my go to's are chicken wings usually buffalo, or traditional bone in, with a little ranch dressing, and of course chilli is always a good option. I also had a restaurant serve me a turkey burger wrapped in lettuce, I was surprised how satisfying it was.

I might have posted this before but I don't see it here: Wendy's chili - excellent source of Protein, low calories, also ChicFilA chicken tortilla Soup . you can eat the grilled nuggets @ ChicFilA also , i'm not a fan they are a little dry for me. If I end up going to a regular restaurant I try to find a good soup on the menu. No bread, No Pasta for me and No Rice .

I eat PALEO and do not eat red meat, so fast food is virtually impossible for me. And I am thankful for that. But there are a few options when I am in a bind.

In and Out burger (not sure if they offer a turkey burger) and Jimmy Johns subs will serve their sandwiches wrapped in lettuce rather than bread. I order double meat at Jimmy Johns. Chipotle has a few nice salad options and several items are organic. I order the chicken fajita salad and hold the Beans and cheese and double up on the chicken.

Carrying dried fruit and nuts and canned fish or chicken in the glove box of your car also are fast foods in an emergency.