Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I met with my surgeon for the first time before even mentioning it to my primary. We talked about my history which surgery we should do etc. Than I met with the billing lady and she goes June 10th? I was like oh for my next appointment ? No your surgery date. ... I know every insurance varies but now I'm just nervous that was way too easy it actually scared me lol. She says the only requirements from my insurance is a psychology and nutrition consultant . I'm just curious if any one Had a similar experience.

I had my initial meeting in late May and was sleeved a little over 2 months later. The requirements were psych consult, a few nutrition consults, sleep study, and an endoscopy. I had an endoscopy within the last year so I didn't have to redo that. I was waived from the sleep study because of my health history, neck circumference, and relatively low BMI. So that left the psych and nutrition which I completed in the two months leading up to surgery. In summary it isn't unheard of to have a soon surgery date when you don't have a bunch of insurance requirements. Best of luck!

Me too. My insurance company didn't require any weight loss, just pre-op tests and a psych evaluation. All were accomplished in less than two months. I feel so lucky when I read the stories of people who have to wrangle their insurance companies.

They deal with insurance everyday and have a good idea of what is needed for approval. Based on your BMI, co-morbidity's, etc. they scheduled you. Mind you the date they gave you is in June not March ????

Some surgeons prefer to schedule you at the beginning before insurance approval especially if they don't anticipate any problems. Makes their life easier LOL I know several people who went for an initial consultation and walked out with a surgery date. Scheduling in this case is not the same as insurance approval. You still need to submit whatever is required and be approved.

My surgeon does not schedule surgery until you receive insurance approval and fulfill any extra requirements she may have, like a sleep study. On the other hand once this is complete you will have your surgery within two weeks.

Edited by Debbie Jean

Yeah absolutely I know insurance hasn't actually been run through. I haven't had insurance since I was 18 so I was stressing about primary doctor and weight history. They said all I need was psychologist appt and nutrionist for insurance but my surgeon itself requires 3 appts which is fine lol

I was surprised at how fast mine is happening.

02/12/15 - 1st appointment

• Met Dr. Owens
  • Met the Nutritionist
  • Did labs
  • Did X-Rays and UGI w/Esophagram

02/16/15 - Physiological Screening

02/20/15 - Insurance Approval

03/03/15 - Pre-Op Consult

03/11/15 - Surgery

Yeah absolutely I know insurance hasn't actually been run through. I haven't had insurance since I was 18 so I was stressing about primary doctor and weight history. They said all I need was psychologist appt and nutrionist for insurance but my surgeon itself requires 3 appts which is fine lol

I hear ya!

Even after I officially started my journey it took me awhile to really wrap my brain around what I was doing and what life after surgery would be like.

Edited by Debbie Jean

Make sure you talk to your primary because they also are required to sign off on the approval.

Make sure you talk to your primary because they also are required to sign off on the approval.

my insurance doesn't require it . I asked that first because I didn't have have a primary but now I do so even if down the line it's an issue she's all for it.

Mine was easy, too. My insurance didn't even require a pre-authorization. I was sleeved 2 months from the date of my seminar. I had a psyche eval, GI swallow and an ultrasound, some labs, and was ready. So fortunate!

I had my consult the first week of Jan, was told what I had to do a far as clearance (psyche, 2 NUT classes, cardio & pulmonary testing and an endoscopy) We picked a surgery date that day & I got crackin on getting the appts & tests scheduled. I will be sleeved Tuesday morning, so the whole process was less than 8 weeks. I feel VERY lucky that it was so easy.

Mine was super easy. Went to first appointment in january. Did my psych,ekg,blood work in one week and my surgery appointment is March 10th.