Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A few general food questions

I am really confused about foods that are tolerable and not , like people have been eating toasted Bagels and everythings alright ? I am new at this so am not sure how anytihng works but i wanted to know a few things.

1- Does anyone eat hot dogs ? and if so when after surgery did they first have one

2- How about string cheese?

3- salads ? lettuce and all that?

3- Does anyone tolerate pizza? if so , which is the easiest

I know i will lose my cravings since i recently just got surgery but i just wanted to know what i can have say i would go to a restaurant with some friends.

Did you not get info from dietician before surgery? Usually they give very good instructions. Most frown on breads, beef, carbonated soda's, etc. There are very good websites to assist with this.

I encourage you to be very careful. Yes, many people try the foods that got us in this shape in the first place.....and end up having problems.

Soft foods, grilled chicken, baked fish, tuna, mushie veggies, Soups, cottage cheese, puddings, Jello, cheesy eggs, are just a few things I choose from.

Some people can tolerate more than others. Many however, end up with complications from eating the wrong foods.

Good luck....

To answer your questions;

First for me, none of the foods you listed were allowed until you are to the solid stage, which could be several weeks depending on your surgeon.

Hot dogs: I can't handle hot dogs, some bander's do fine, but for me they want to come back up. I think its the skin as such.

String cheese: I have no problem with as long as I chew very well.

Salad: It seems odd to me but I can eat salad all day long and have never had a problem. I really like to sprinkle over top a little chicken that I've put in my magic bullet along with some Mandarin oranges, slivered almonds, and Chinese noodles. Like the Asian salad at McDonald's.

Pizza: is another story in its self. Some times I won't have problem and other times I do. I have resorted to just eating a little of the topping and forget the crust. Of course I have to say EVERYONE is different so you may or may not have problems with these items. My advise is to take your time eating, don't be rushed and chew 20 to 30 times each bite.

As for cravings I found that a lot of the things I craved before are just not or don't seem to be the same. I also used to drink crystal light all the time but now It's just way to sweet.

As for restaurants, my advise is stay away from pastas & breads, stick with salads, Soups, fish works well for most. Do Protein first, then veggies. CHEW CHEW CHEW like its your last bite. Enjoy the food and if you feel any discomfort stop and enjoy the conversation.

Best of luck in your adventure to a new life.

1- Does anyone eat hot dogs ? and if so when after surgery did they first have one

I had a pretty strict post op diet, so was on liquids, for 2 weeks, full liquids another 2 weeks, then mushies for another 2! Following that I was ok for regular food. I can't tell you exactly how long, but yes I have eaten hot dogs all along since then. When my restriction was the tightest, I avoided the bun. Each day with the band is a new one, so I guage how I am feeling for the day, if my Breakfast goes slow, I am very cautious, and would avoid them, if I feel good, I try it one bite at a time, giving myself a little time to see if it is going to go ok.

Overall hot dogs are not a real healthy food, they are full of nitrates, and sodium....we could and should make healthier choices most of the time. But hot dogs are part of every day life around here with grandkids and cookouts, so we do eat them....me included!!!

2- How about string cheese?

Yes, I eat it regularly, along with the small packages of cheddar that they sell in the same area at the store. I take them with me, when I know I will want to snack on something. I take them to the movie for instance. Cheese is a big part of my snack diet.

3- salads ? lettuce and all that?

I was really afraid to try lettuce, thinking it would be so hard to digest---it went very easy!! I try to keep to crisp greens. I have had some spinach leaves that were kind of wilty and they didn't do as easy, I felt like it was harder on my band to pass them through. I also watch the skins on like bell peppers and cucumbers, they seem harder to digest. I peel the cucumbers....and I add carrots, and radishes, anything I have on hand, toss some cheese on, maybe a boiled egg, or some tuna....sprinkle with some sunflower seeds, and a bit of dressing...and I call it lunch and dinner lots of days!!!! It is my summer favorite!!!

3- Does anyone tolerate pizza? if so , which is the easiest

I eat pizza on occasion. Unlike most it is not the crust that gets me it is the marinara sauce gives me massive heartburn!!! I choose thin crust...and can usually eat a single piece of pizza. If we are elsewhere and they have thick crust, I eat a couple of bites, then just eat the remaining toppings---it is usually enough to fill me up completely.

The only foods I have ever PB'd on were a yeasty glazed donut, and popcorn chicken. The donut, I took 2 bites, and it felt like it swelled up to the size of a bowling ball in my belly!!! Never again! I avoid raised donuts!!!! The popcorn chicken, was my own fault. I bought my granddaughter a cup of popcorn chicken at Walmart while we were shopping, I was walking along, not thinking, picked one up, popped it in my mouth chewed a time or 2 and swallowed, just like in the old days. About half way down my throat, I realized what I just did, and we left, before we could get to the car, I was hurting. I slimed all the way home, and ended up tossing it not long after getting home...I have since eaten it...and chewed it well, with no problems at all.

Everyone's bands will react differently, and as I started out, everyday yours may act differently for you. Just try to experiment carefully, avoid things you know are bad for you, is the easiest!!! Try to attempt something at home the first time or 2. Take a single bite, and chew well, and then wait and see how it does. Do not eat until you are full, by then it is too late, just eat until you no longer feel hunger, then by the time everything settles, you are full, but not painfully so.

I could have lost more weight if I were to eliminate more foods from my diet, but I choose not to. I liked my life rprior to the band with the exception of my weight. I have not changed a lot except the amount of food I eat, and now that I have lost weight, my ability to move with ease has allowed me to exercise more.. Before that would have seemed horrible!! Now I actually enjoy getting my heart rate up, and challenging myself. I walk every day...and don't hurt doing it! The rest of the weight will come off, in the meantime, I am enjoying the life I have now.

I love my band---hope you find you love yours as well!!!

Kat

I didnt eat any of those foods until I was well onto solids, months probably.

But until my last fill I would have handled any of them just fine.

I could eat the hot dog itself, but a hot dog with a bun - I could eat it, but I'm not sure I could be bothered and it woudl cause me discomfort and I probably couldnt eat the whole thing. Same with pizza - we only ever eat pizza that I've made, base and all and I make the thinnest, crispiest base possible and healthy toppings and it STILL gives me problems, really hard to eat, not work the effort. A toasted bagel, I'd probably eat half of one for breakfast and enjoy it but I'd have to eat it carefully.

But probably for the first six months on low restriction levels I could eat those things easily.

it kind of comes gradually, I know its hard to imagine but you truly dont miss those foods, once they start to cause you grief, you just naturally dont want them anymore.

We had donuts here the other day - REAL donuts, not those revolting Krispy Kreme things, big round jam ball donuts with sugar all over the outside. Donuts are more like sweet bread, less like pastry in Australia and can be huge. I would have eaten 4 of them previously, they literally did not tempt me in the slightest because I knew the pain they'd cause me.

I don't eat hot dogs due to the bread. Soft bread can be very painful. I do eat my own pizza. I make a very thin crust and put stuff on the top and eat it slowly. It's good and I like it. But I can only eat about half of a small pizza. Still it fills me up and makes me happy. I don't eat string cheese because I'm too old for that stuff, but I can eat a salad if I go very, very slowly. If I have salad, I have a small bowl of it and it's pretty good. I also eat a lot of southern food like pork chops, smothered steak, barbecued ribs and stuff like that. This is Protein and I always include it. In addition, I eat southern baked Beans with ribs and they go down pretty well. They're easy to make and good though pretty sugary. Smothered steak is very tender and easy to get down especially with gravy, but it is heavy on grease. All Southern food is heavy on grease. But my favorite thing lately is V8 juice.< /p>