Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not successful with sleeve?

So I had my preop Appointment yesterday then we went out to dinner with my dad. My dad has been supportive of me having the surgery all along and told me I was making the right decision, while at dinner I was telling him all about my

Appointment and how it's going to be for the next few months, and now he told me I was scaring him a little and he thinks I should rethink my decision, he also asked if I've heard any negatives and unsuccessful stories about people having the sleeve done and it not working, or getting real sick, I said no it's been mostly positives and the only negatives were little things that are just a normal part of surgery...my question to everyone is there anyone who hasn't been successful with the sleeve? And what major complications have u had? Any feedback would be great, even if you've had nothing but success please share so I can prove him wrong and he can stop worrying

It is major surgery. It will take some time to recover and heal.

Some people have had serious complications, but that is not the norm.

Also, keep in mind that the surgery is only part of the process. It will get you started, but if you do not change your eating habits long term you will not succeed.

It is major surgery. It will take some time to recover and heal.

Some people have had serious complications, but that is not the norm.

Also, keep in mind that the surgery is only part of the process. It will get you started, but if you do not change your eating habits long term you will not succeed.

Thank you so much for your input, I did tell him pretty much the same thing, I said I have to follow through with the diet and excerise and it's a long term plan in order to make sure I have success, and that there are complications with any surgery but I felt confidant with it!! He still was not very convinced

What is your definition of "success" here? Are there people who haven't lost as much weight as they hoped? Yep. Are there people who have regained weight after losing? Yep. Are there people who experienced horrible complications? Yep.

As for the first two questions, VSG, like any WLS is simply a tool. There are many rules and guidelines you will have to live by in order to lose weight and keep it off. If you don't adhere to those guidelines the vast majority of the time, you aon't be successful. There are many ways to work around or against your sleeve that will prevent you from losing weight or cause you to gain weight. Eating slider foods (foods that move through the sleeve easily and don't make you full), grazing (eating small amount food all day long), drinking your calories (soda and juice), not getting enough Protein, not getting enough Water, and not exercising regularly.

As for complications, this is surgery. The are cutting out 80% of a major bodily organ. Of course there are chances for complications. Fortunately long-term complications are few and far between. Most of the issues that people experience post-op, if any, are temporary.

My advice to anyone having the surgery - the most important thing to focus on recovery is helping your body to heal. The Protein Drinks are the most important, your body needs that Protein to heal and Water to keep you hydrated. To me, that's the primary focus in the beginning- once you've completed the healing process- then it's time to start the weight loss journey & best of luck to everyone

I agree with the information and advice that the previous posters gave, but I would like to add that you have decided on this surgery based on your own health reasons, not for your father's comfort. This is one time that you should put your own needs first. If your father's naysaying is upsetting you, let him know that his comments aren't changing your mind, but instead are just adding to your stress. I went through something similar with my brother and I had to tell him to back off.

I agree with the information and advice that the previous posters gave, but I would like to add that you have decided on this surgery based on your own health reasons, not for your father's comfort. This is one time that you should put your own needs first. If your father's naysaying is upsetting you, let him know that his comments aren't changing your mind, but instead are just adding to your stress. I went through something similar with my brother and I had to tell him to back off.

Yeah I think I'll go over there tomorrow and talk to him about it! My husband and I talked it

Over a lot today and came to the conclusion that it is for me and my health not for anyone else, I'm the one that's going to have to sacrifice things and change my lifestyle!! Thank you all for the support and advice I appreciate it so much

He's just worried about someone he holds dear now that the moment is near, you're his little girl, right? I'm pretty sure you've done all the research and you know the skill of your surgeon, you know the risks of surgery and you also know the risks of doing nothing. He just needs a little reassurance that you know what you're doing and there's a small chance you could have a problem, but there's a very likely chance you'll have serious health problems if you back out. Good Luck.

I have a friend for whom it did not work. She converted from a lap-band to the sleeve, and then to a bypass. But she wasn't following the rules. You have to follow the rules or the surgery won't work.