Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Converting from Sleeve to Bypass?

I too am looking at a revision due to gerd. I had a barium swallow and will have an endoscopy In May. I had surgery oct 2013

I'm scheduled to go from sleeve to bypass this coming Thursday (april 23) and I'm nervous as hell.

I have no gerd/reflux issues really. I've been on omeprezole (20mgs per day) since before having gall bladder surgery in 2006. I was sleeved in sept.2012 and lost nearly 100 lbs, but have started gaining back (about 15 lbs so far). The surgeon recommended GB, but with my size, he agreed to my choice of the sleeve. I was so hoping it would be enough, but if I'm gaining after just 2 years, obviously not. The sleeve has been easy--like realllly easy. No issues afterwards, No dumping, no problem with spicy foods, nothing. The gall bladder surgery was open, so recovery from lapro-sleeve was nothing compared to that nightmare.
I'm terrified of the rerouting and dumping for life. Others in my surgery group (9 total) all had the bypass and only one has had complications (opening too small to the stomach).

I also have an incisional hernia from the gall bladder surgery to be fixed, but I needed to lose weight before they'd try it. So now, this coming Thursday, I'm supposed to have the incisional hernia fixed, along with a hiatal hernia and convert to bypass. t.e.r.r.i.f.i.e.d. :(

I'm scheduled to go from sleeve to bypass this coming Thursday (april 23) and I'm nervous as hell.

I have no gerd/reflux issues really. I've been on omeprezole (20mgs per day) since before having gall bladder surgery in 2006. I was sleeved in sept.2012 and lost nearly 100 lbs, but have started gaining back (about 15 lbs so far). The surgeon recommended GB, but with my size, he agreed to my choice of the sleeve. I was so hoping it would be enough, but if I'm gaining after just 2 years, obviously not. The sleeve has been easy--like realllly easy. No issues afterwards, No dumping, no problem with spicy foods, nothing. The gall bladder surgery was open, so recovery from lapro-sleeve was nothing compared to that nightmare.

I'm terrified of the rerouting and dumping for life. Others in my surgery group (9 total) all had the bypass and only one has had complications (opening too small to the stomach).

I also have an incisional hernia from the gall bladder surgery to be fixed, but I needed to lose weight before they'd try it. So now, this coming Thursday, I'm supposed to have the incisional hernia fixed, along with a hiatal hernia and convert to bypass. t.e.r.r.i.f.i.e.d. :(

I'm having the mini bypass on the 23rd !! I'm nervous too but mostly excited!! From all my research it seems dumping is well controlled with making good food choices. I kind of like the idea of having that kind of behavior modification in place to keep me from eating things I shouldn't be anyway. Of coarse there are always risks but hopefully you have researched your surgeon well and trust his abilities. Complications are rare thankfully ! Try to focus on the benefits of losing weight and better health!

I'm having the mini bypass on the 23rd !! I'm nervous too but mostly excited!! From all my research it seems dumping is well controlled with making good food choices. I kind of like the idea of having that kind of behavior modification in place to keep me from eating things I shouldn't be anyway. Of coarse there are always risks but hopefully you have researched your surgeon well and trust his abilities. Complications are rare thankfully ! Try to focus on the benefits of losing weight and better health!

Band07,

Good luck tomorrow! I think I'm having a regular bypass, I don't remember 'mini' being mentioned. But to be true, many of my visits have been in Dutch and while I get most of it (and repeat it back to them in my Dutch or in full on English), there's a chance I missed the 'mini' part. I'll ask tomorrow before going under. I have other things to be fixed while I'm in. An incisional hernia from my open gall bladder surgery and a paraesophageal hernia that developed since my sleeve surgery in 2012.

Anyways, we'll see what happens. I do wish you loads of luck and prayers for us both! :D

Same to you as well ! Update when you are able !!:)

Band07,

Good luck tomorrow! I think I'm having a regular bypass, I don't remember 'mini' being mentioned. But to be true, many of my visits have been in Dutch and while I get most of it (and repeat it back to them in my Dutch or in full on English), there's a chance I missed the 'mini' part. I'll ask tomorrow before going under. I have other things to be fixed while I'm in. An incisional hernia from my open gall bladder surgery and a paraesophageal hernia that developed since my sleeve surgery in 2012.

Anyways, we'll see what happens. I do wish you loads of luck and prayers for us both! :D

How did things go ? How are you doing ? I had a lot of gas pain and I had a drain which it was very uncomfortable but as of today I'm feeling good, I'm on Clear liquids for the first week and the broth/jello/Popsicle/G2 are going down good. I'm planning to go back to work tomorrow.

Im scheduled for June 4 second revision band to sleeve now bypass. Im nervous but i have severe reflux and throwing up every day yet gaining because of sliders

How did things go ? How are you doing ? I had a lot of gas pain and I had a drain which it was very uncomfortable but as of today I'm feeling good, I'm on Clear Liquids for the first week and the broth/jello/Popsicle/G2 are going down good. I'm planning to go back to work tomorrow.

It went ok. I sincerely feel no effects from the bypass part of my surgery, but the meshing/fixing of the incisional hernia (from gall bladder surgery, nothing gastric) is hella-painful. I don't have to worry about going back to work, but hubs goes back tomorrow. I'm going to miss him helping me at times.

I truly had no pain after the sleeve surgery. I was not expecting this to be like this. Coughing, clearing my throat, anything where my midsection tightens is rough.

Good luck with heading back to work. So glad everything is going good for you! :)

What is your post op food plan?

How are you doing? I was just told today after my endoscopy that my sleeve that was done jan 9th is wayyyyy larger than it should be and that's why I'm not loosing (20 lbs in 4 mos)!! New doctor said he would have to do a bypass because my sleeve is so "hacked" that it would be too risky to do a "sleeve over sleeve" surgery. I'm just beginning to soak up this news so please any insight would be so helpful!! Hope the pain gets better soon

How are you doing? I was just told today after my endoscopy that my sleeve that was done jan 9th is wayyyyy larger than it should be and that's why I'm not loosing (20 lbs in 4 mos)!! New doctor said he would have to do a bypass because my sleeve is so "hacked" that it would be too risky to do a "sleeve over sleeve" surgery. I'm just beginning to soak up this news so please any insight would be so helpful!! Hope the pain gets better soon

I had my sleeve revised to a mini bypass on Thursday. Physically I'm doing fine but it's been hard on me emotionally. Do a lot of research !! Think long and hard and decide what is best for you !

What is your post op food plan?

The post (and pre-) op plan with the clinic here is way different from in the U.S.

While inpatient, Clear Liquids,

2-3 days after leaving the hospital, thicker liquids (shakes, milk, yogurt), then

2-3 days, soft foods--purees, puddings

A week after surgery, they recommend normal foods. Very well chewed and smaller portions.

I've been drinking 2-3 Protein shakes per day (24-32 g of Protein each) and Soups. I did have about 2 tbs of chicken and mayo today that I'd chopped in the food processor. My abdomen is so distended and sore, I'll stick with this for as long as I can. I feel so bloated and swollen, I'll be so happy when it goes down. I didn't have a drain at all, so fluids are still in there, I'm sure. I thought I was going to bust a gut yesterday with my body forcing me to have a bowel movement. Yesterday was a baaaaaad day. :(

Wow yes that seems like a quick progression! I would be scared to death to put anything in my mouth that I felt my new belly wasn't ready for! I'm actually in no hurry to add anything, I want to take it slow for awhile.

My plan is clear liquids only for the first week : Broth/Jello/Popcicles/Apple juice (watered down) and G2.

Week 2 : Full liquids : Protein shakes/creamy soups/smoothies

Week 3 : Purees : Apple sauces/yogurt/steamed mashed veggies

Week 4 : Soft : Cottage cheese/Refried beans/Mashed potatoes

This is my plan from Mexico, when I was sleeved in the US my surgeon was super careful with post op eating and required 4 WHOLE WEEKS of full liquids only! It was the hardest thing I've ever done in my life! This is already super easy compared to that lol.

Just go slow, remember just because that is your plan doesn't mean you can't go slower if you're not ready to advance.

Refried beans! Omgoodness what I wouldn't give to have a taco bell over here! Yep, I know, fast food is bad...lol I have to go to a special shop to get so many things and even then, they may or may not it that week or ever again. Refried Beans would be yummy with a little cheese and salsa mixed through. I have some laughing cow cheese that I'm wanting to put into some mashed cauliflower, but I'm weighing the yum satisfaction vs. cauli-gas. I'm not ready for that risk. Maybe in a few weeks.

I followed the same plan when I was sleeved and I truly believe it's why my sleeve was less successful. After reading these stories of amazing losses in the first few months, I was a bit disheartened with my own. Makes sense, though, with the liquids usually being for 3-4+ weeks and us over here only doing 5 days worth.

Anyways, yes, I plan to go much slower this time. I'm hoping to be able to travel in 7 weeks. So healing completely is top priority.