Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Converting from Sleeve to Bypass?

I'm band to sleeve and soon to be mini gastric bypass on 4/23. I'm hoping 3rd times the charm ! I was very successful with the band but the sleeve has been terrible. Always hungry and can eat anything and everything as much as I want like it never even happened. The 23rd can't get here soon enough !

this is so similar to myself, getting mini bypass in October, has the bypass been good for you?

this is so similar to myself, getting mini bypass in October, has the bypass been good for you?

I will be four months out on the 23rd. I had a rough start not because of the surgery itself but because I got pneumonia and became serverly dehydrated was basically miserable the first month. That being said, I've lost 30 lbs (which puts me 10lbs from my goal) It's slow but that's expected. I can eat anything/everything and my portion size is really much larger than it should be for someone who has had 3 surgeries! But it's the mgb that keeps me losing. Nothing and I mean NOTHING I eat stays with me too long. I'm in the bathroom A LOT! sometimes as many as 8-10x a day. It's worse when I make bad food choices but really with a 9' bypass even good foods pass through pretty quickly. I've asked others and not everyone expereinces this and it's not really dumping (though I have had that too) because I don't get sick with it or sweat or stomach cramps at least not often. Hope this isn't TMI but it's worth knowing I think because I wasn't prepared for it to be like this! I will try to answer any specific questions you have... Who is doing you surgery?

I will be four months out on the 23rd. I had a rough start not because of the surgery itself but because I got pneumonia and became serverly dehydrated was basically miserable the first month. That being said, I've lost 30 lbs (which puts me 10lbs from my goal) It's slow but that's expected. I can eat anything/everything and my portion size is really much larger than it should be for someone who has had 3 surgeries! But it's the mgb that keeps me losing. Nothing and I mean NOTHING I eat stays with me too long. I'm in the bathroom A LOT! sometimes as many as 8-10x a day. It's worse when I make bad food choices but really with a 9' bypass even good foods pass through pretty quickly. I've asked others and not everyone expereinces this and it's not really dumping (though I have had that too) because I don't get sick with it or sweat or stomach cramps at least not often. Hope this isn't TMI but it's worth knowing I think because I wasn't prepared for it to be like this! I will try to answer any specific questions you have... Who is doing you surgery?

My same surgeon is doing my surgery in Belgium, paid by myself like yourself, Been doing a lot of research on it and I think it's the way forward for me I'm scheduled for October 12/15, I can't give up now I've been through too much, sleeve didn't work for me band did but way too much trouble even thou I loved it,so I take it you are happy you went ahead and got bypass

My same surgeon is doing my surgery in Belgium, paid by myself like yourself, Been doing a lot of research on it and I think it's the way forward for me I'm scheduled for October 12/15, I can't give up now I've been through too much, sleeve didn't work for me band did but way too much trouble even thou I loved it,so I take it you are happy you went ahead and got bypass

Wow, your story really does sound like mine! Yes, I'm happy, no regrets so far. Haven't had my labs done though but I am taking my Vitamins. The weirdest thing for me is that even though most days I literally have no restriction and can eat average portions, sometimes i get stuck and it feels exactly like it did with the band! Small bites and chew chew chew has always been a struggle for me :(

Wow, your story really does sound like mine! Yes, I'm happy, no regrets so far. Haven't had my labs done though but I am taking my Vitamins. The weirdest thing for me is that even though most days I literally have no restriction and can eat average portions, sometimes i get stuck and it feels exactly like it did with the band! Small bites and chew chew chew has always been a struggle for me :(
that sounds good to me as long as it works, I expect life change with wls and I'm prepared for it, I have no problem chewing or staying on mash foods forever lol, do u feel hungry at all?

I didn't at all the first month but yeah, I get hungry. Not as much as before though..with the band i was NEVER hungry, with the sleeve I was always starving, this is somewhere in between.

I didn't at all the first month but yeah, I get hungry. Not as much as before though..with the band i was NEVER hungry, with the sleeve I was always starving, this is somewhere in between.

Lol I'm laughing sound just like me, I'm hoping I'll follow your symptoms I would be very happy with that, Thank you for the information much appreciated, stay in touch.

You too! Good luck to you!

Im not exactly sure where to post this question since its kind of an in-between topic, so I apologize in advance if you see this in two locations….

For all those people who originally had the sleeve and were converted to the bypass, I was curious to know WHY? What was your journey?

For those who had to have this done do to gastritis, what was done for that before they jumped to conversion?

Did anyone have to have this done because of stomach spasms?

I'm having it done on oct12th, simply because my sleeve feels like a normal size stomach, in fact it feels more discomfort Very rarely full and constantly bloated

Lol I'm laughing sound just like me, I'm hoping I'll follow your symptoms I would be very happy with that, Thank you for the information much appreciated, stay in touch.
Hi, was your stomach pouch reduced from sleeve to bypass op?

I personally had a mini bypass which with the original procedure the stomach is reduced to the sleeve so with mine they just brought my intestines up to meet the top part of my sleeve as it was still in good shape unlike the bottom which had stretched out.