Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone try hormone replacement therapy

I am going to try hormone replacement therapy. I am not in menopause or peri menopause. But I have other issues that can be ameliorated with HRT. If you've taken it / are on it, what has been your experience? Thanks!

Here is info http://www.lef.org/Protocols/Female-Reproductive/Female-Hormone-Restoration/Page-07

I was on Estrogen for many years - 23 yrs! But I had a hysterectomy and they took my ovaries (what was I thinking??!). Anyway, I never had any problems at all. My doc told me to wean off a year ago, so now I'm going thru real menopause. Ick. I would stay on it indefinitely if my doc hadn't told me I should get off. For me, she said the side effects outweighed the benefits. btw, I'm 60 yrs old.
:)

@@yogurtgirl thank you! i am getting a combination of estrogen, progesterone, and testosterone. I am going to try it for 4-mos and see how it goes. I got it from my ObGyn at my request but something online that I read from Dr. Mercola said you should see an endocrinologist that specializes in hormone therapy. I'll see how this round goes and maybe go to my endo after the 4-mos.

I took estrogen for several years pre-sleeve. I was started on it for symptoms of early menopause. However, I had to stop taking it right after surgery because of the risk of blood clots and I never started taking it again. I no longer have hot flashes or night sweats or any other issues, so I saw no reason to start it up again. That made my doc happy as she didn't like me being on it to start with because my mother had breast cancer.

@@imsoglad56 thank you. I will look into the blood clot issue. I am pretty sure that either the progestin or testosterone mitigates that. Best to be sure, so thanks again and I will look into it. I have to pickup my cream on Monday. I emailed my ObGyn and said I wanted bio-identical human hormones and natural progestin in either transdermal or transmucosal formulation. So a specialty pharmacy had to mix it up. It is not covered by insurance but only $55 a month.

​And, in other news, I just have to share that my grandson was born this morning! My kids live in Argentina so it will be a while before I meet Aiden. I am looking forward to the trip! We have waited for him for a long time!

@@imsoglad56 thank you. I will look into the blood clot issue. I am pretty sure that either the progestin or testosterone mitigates that. Best to be sure, so thanks again and I will look into it. I have to pickup my cream on Monday. I emailed my ObGyn and said I wanted bio-identical human hormones and natural progestin in either transdermal or transmucosal formulation. So a specialty pharmacy had to mix it up. It is not covered by insurance but only $55 a month.

​And, in other news, I just have to share that my grandson was born this morning! My kids live in Argentina so it will be a while before I meet Aiden. I am looking forward to the trip! We have waited for him for a long time!

That's impossible. You are way too young to be a grandma! Congratulations!!

Edited by JustWatchMe

I've been on an estrogen patch for about 25 years as well. Had a radical hystectomy...had it all removed when I was pretty young. I saw no reason to keep any of those parts, since I didn't want children (I had 2 beautiful step sons). I keep asking my OBGYN when I can get off of them, and he says not till I'm in my 60's. I'm 53 in 2 weeks. Once I have to stop using the patch prior to surgery I am afraid of how I will feel, what I will go through since I've never experienced menopause. But if I could stop altogether I would. But, he says I need if for my bones (hmmm, who knew?)

@@wannaBthinsoon oh recovery is hard enough without going through menopause on top of it. But all of our trials and tribulations are worth it to have our lives back. I know your journey is just beginning and I wish you well. WLS saved my life. I truly believe I would be dead today instead of writing this post.

So the pharmacists, a woman, told me that any woman at my age (50) has hormone levels that are way off. She showed me a chart of the dramatic risk for breast cancer without HRT. If that is so, then why did't my obgyn recommend that I go on HRT? It was I that approached him and said I wanted human bio-identical hormone therapy.

In a related vein, I saw my PCP recently and said I was suffering minor panic attacks again and having anxiety (both from a trauma). I asked for a script for the really rough times as I will not take these types of medications prophylactically. What I really wanted were integrative approaches to treat the panic and anxiety... things like meditation. He said exercise, which is a good suggestion, but beyond that told me that he didn't know of anything. To his credit, he did spend a very long time considering how he might be able to help me. Anyway I did some research and found a naturopath who is an M.D. I have an appointment with him towards the end of the month. I just wonder why my PCP did not think of that?

We must be our own health advocates!!! If you are waiting for your doctor to do it all then you may one day find yourself in dire straits. Do not misunderstand. I have huge respect for great doctors... but the situation is that there are so many illness and drugs to treat them, and doctors are so short on time, that it is nearly impossible for them to keep up with the literature. Add to that, the US medical model is to treat disease with a pill and doctors are not trained in integrative approaches like they are in many other countries.

I once knew a scientist from a pharmaceutical company who was nearly institutionalized for depression. However he phoned some psychiatrists back in the Netherlands where he was from and they told him to try MBSR, which actually was developed in the US. The great news is that this scientist avoided institutionalization because of the practice of MBSR (a specific type of meditation).