Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What to tell the children

My son was 10 when I started going to the bariatric center. I told him the truth. I explained that it wasn't healthy for me to be this weight and that I had tried to lose it on my own. I told him I had decided on WLS because I wanted to see him grow up, graduate college, get married and have kids. He seemed okay with. The only problem now is that I have to be strong because he is quite the enabler. He constantly is trying to sneak food to me that he knows I can't have. :o

My youngest is 11 and I also told her the truth. Needed surgery to help me be healthy and do more stuff with her. She is so supportive and constantly saying how nice it is to hug me or sit with me. At first she watched everything I put in my mouth and would comment are you allowed? I think years of watching me eat unhealthy she didn't know what healthy food looked like for me to eat. I will tell you at first she thought I was coming home thin from hospital had to really talk about what the surgery was gong to do. Even watched videos and looked at the packets my dr gave... Did that with all of my kids 15,13,11...

I have 4 children 11, 13, 14, 18 I told them all the truth, I wanted to be around to be able to do things with them and this surgery would give me the tools to make it happen. They are nervous but I don't like to lie to my kids.

My three kids 10, 11 and 15 know why I am having surgery and I even showed them the video that my surgeon showed at the seminar about the sleeve. It helped my kids to be able to visualize what I am having done and they are very understanding and supportive!

I'm very happy so many of you were up front with your kids!

I am not a parent, but I am a child care provider and, currently, an adult child stuck at home (changing that).

I think its a sign of respect to your children to tell them the truth and very beautiful.

Most kids are smarter then parents think and it's kind of insulting to their intelligence to lie about big things like this.

Besides, when you go to them and share something personal like this, they might, as they get older, feel more comfortable doing the same to you.

Not all kids feel comfortable talking to their parents about things they find personal; weight,sex,what college they want to go to... whatever, so when you start allowing yourself to be a bit vulnerable to them and share something like this honestly, they learn from that example.

Sorry, did I say too much for a non-parent?

I should say, I've done the same with the 2 little girls I watch (7 and 9). They found it interesting.

My kids are 5 and 1. The 5 year old knows the truth and the details. He just wants mommy to be ok, which I will be. ;)

My kids are 8 and 13 and I explained it to them. Basically they know I have been dieting and working out for years and just keep getting bigger. So I just explained this will help me get healthy.

My 8 year old daughter is special needs so doesn't quite get it but she does ask "mommy can you eat this?"

I am doing my surgery over their spring break so they are more excited about getting to stay at their grandparents for 3-4 days than really caring about me having surgery!