Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What's in your hospital bag?

I m quite curious what's in everybody's ????????❓

I guess let's all share our lists ???? we can all winsome

1. My phone????

2. iPad

3. A small cup (like having my own sippy cup)

4. Loose tees ????and pajamas???? (I feel it's best to have a short tee, in case for the doctor to examine th incisions)

4. Comfortable footwear (flipflops)

5. My own pillow (something on to hold on to on a bumpy ride back home)

6. Gas X strips ☑️ (most important EVER as I have been told)

7. Ibuprofen dissolvable tablets (incase post op swallowing is tough, i want to experience like zero pain ????)

8. Lip balm ????

9. Moisturizing lotion

10. Breath mints (changes the taste of mouth and Ofcourse for the family and friends who visit)

11. Phone and iPad Charger ????????

12. Video camera ???? (for bloggers, I intend to record and click every bit of my experience to share)

.... That's all I could I get after racking my brains.... If you guys have a similar list or something I m missing on mine, let's share!!!

Nothing........the hospitals will go bankrupt if they can't charge you $110.00 for a tube of chapstick.

No, really......take what little you can. Or to say it in another way. Don't take anything. You won't need it. You're gonna be sleeping or if you are awake......you're gonna want to be sleeping.

You'll be in some crappy gown (you won't care) and flashing everybody as you walk the halls and then......back to sleep.

You'll be groggy and probably won't make coherent sentences.......and when your mind finally clears up.....you'll go home

In the comfortable clothes you wore in........that are in the plastic bag they gave you.......So.....you need nothing.

Enjoy your rest. ;)

Just a heads up they probably won't let you wear flip flops because that is a risk for falling. Also they aren't going to let you take your own ibuprofen. They will be giving you medicine that the doctor prescribes. The only things I brought and used was sweatpants, pillow, and grippy socks.

Wow I appreciate this thread! I'm getting sleeved on Monday and I haven't been sure of what to pack. I was told to bring pajamas, a robe, my cpap, and a pillow for my stomach. I don't think I'll need the pillow, as the hospital is only down the road from my home. I also plan to bring my laptop with DVDs and my iPhone, for entertainment and communication purposes.

I think the starting list is great except for the ibuprofen and flip flops. Do bring either comfortable slippers, crocs, or sneakers. I used my crocs and they were great. Easy to get in and out of and comfortable. I for one could not handle bringing nothing-- for me it was reassuring to know my stuff was nearby if I needed it. So I happily brought my overnight bag! Also , please tie up the back of the gown-- no one wants to see "flappers"! :D

Another consideration-- everyone responds differently to anesthesia. I slept the first few hours and then was wide awake! It was nice to have my phone with me and my husband nearby for company.

I am an old Girl Scout from wayyyyyy back. One of their rules that I still live by is "Be Prepared". It is better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

I packed a book to read and crossword puzzles, but did not use them. I either slept or watched TV. I took house slippers but wore the slipper socks they provided. I took a CD player, but played the mellow music station on the TV instead.

I did use my robe for walking out of my room, my chapstick - frequently, and my Teddy Bear (yes, at 62 years old I took a teddy bear). I used my teddy bear to support the arm that had the IV in it. I did use my gas x strips, but did not have any shoulder gas at all. I found they were an excellent breath mint. I used my nail clippers, too.

Something else I always take to the hospital is a notebook and pen. I write down who comes in my room, what they tell me (or promise me) what medicines or food they give me to take. This has paid of more than once when meds were late or incorrect. At the rehab place I was at after a knee replacement, they finally got the message by the third day. I was there two weeks. The word got out that I was a journalist. I just let them think it, because they gave me better treatment because of it.

Aside from wearing the loosest clothes I had so that I could be comfortable coming home, that was pretty much all I used for the two days I was there.

Oh, maybe TMI, but anytime I travel or go to the hospital, I take cheap underwear so I can just throw it out. I do not like to travel around with bags of dirty undewear in my luggage.

7. Ibuprofen dissolvable tablets (incase post op swallowing is tough, i want to experience like zero pain ????)

????

My surgeon doesn't allow ibuprofen. I would certainly check this with your surgeon.

@inner girl ... Yeah you are right need to check with my surgeon on that

Need to add robe to my list now....

I so wish I sleep thru all the pain and once I m up painless and happy????

How quickly where you made to walk? I have heard in some cases once you are wide awake within 40 mins ????

Oh I m dreading the gas shoulder pain... I guess this surgery is like a test for the body, you learn so much about your own anatomy. How the body reacts to general anesthesia?

Hello to all, i was sleeved 2/ 2 / 15.. i packed my bag had my pjs slippers panties walking socks toothpaste toothbrush hair brush cocobutter for my lips soap rag ipad phone chargers & my clothes to go home... to be honest i only used toothpaste toothbrush hair brush & of course my closes to go home... they gave me walking socks also pain meds and they i used the gowns they had could not change it because i had the iv on so use 2 of them.. good luck to all....

I wayyyy overpacked! I took pajama bottoms, plus leggings and t-shirts for each day that I was there. (I was in the hospital two nights and went home on the third day). I also took my phone, laptop, a book to read, several magazines, toothbrush, toothpaste.

The only things I even ended up taking out of my suitcase and using were: toothbrush and toothpaste, one tshirt and my pajama bottoms.

The first day I was out of it and stayed in my hospital gown. Days #2 I finally felt like putting on Pjs and brushing my teeth.

Day #3, I went home in the clothes that I had worn to the hosptial.

Good luck and hope this helps! :)

@☁9⃣B, you don't need to dread the shoulder pain. Tell the surgeon that you want the gas removed before they close you up.