Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

February/March 2015 Self Payers in Mexico

Good morning everyone! So I'm laying here on my hospital bed. 1 day post surgery. I was in a lot of pain yesterday. And constantly felt like I have to throw up. But today has been much much much better! Must I did, dr verboonen and dr Cortez and his team are amazing! Especially Javier, he's one of the nurses here. Before my journey through all this, I weighed 226. When they weighed me yesterday right before, I weight 210. Which means I lost 16lbs during my 10 days of the liquid diet!! I am hoping to go to the hotel room soon because I would LOVE to bath. Lol. I wish all you February 19thers best of luck!!!

March 25th here with Dr. Quinones! Can't wait!

Day 4 pre op today. The lack of food and cigarettes is taking a toll on me mentally. I'm not cheating per se, but my evening salad could be a bit slimmer and nutritious.

Good luck to all! Pray for those around me, 'cause my cravings may very well be the death of them (kidding of course)

@thickt2thin, Congrats! You rock... already up and at it - that's great. Glad to hear all is well with you. Keep us posted on remaining days and post-op.

Good morning everyone! So I'm laying here on my hospital bed. 1 day post surgery. I was in a lot of pain yesterday. And constantly felt like I have to throw up. But today has been much much much better! Must I did, dr verboonen and dr Cortez and his team are amazing! Especially Javier, he's one of the nurses here. Before my journey through all this, I weighed 226. When they weighed me yesterday right before, I weight 210. Which means I lost 16lbs during my 10 days of the liquid diet!! I am hoping to go to the hotel room soon because I would LOVE to bath. Lol. I wish all you February 19thers best of luck!!!

I'm so happy for everyone with their scheduled dates!

I've had a lot of set backs with the passport office this week - they keep jerking me around telling me one fee, and then another one altogether, so I've had to go back and forth all week from my bank just to sort out the money issue, and it's still not fixed, so this whole ordeal has set me back a whole week, which means I have to reschedule everything since my passport will not arrive in time for my flight or surgery date. UGGGH.

Today, I was so mad because I should have had my passport app in on Tuesday - I feel as though I'm beating my head against a brick wall and that the world is building obstacles against me on this, but it is only proving to me that it is every bit worth fighting for.

Hopefully the 4th visit will be the charm. *crossing my fingers* I'm so ready to move forward with this!

@@emwei3 Hope things do get straightened out! Good luck with the passport :wacko:

Things will get better and you'll have your date and your new life can begin again! B)

@@emwei3 can you get an enhanced license instead of waiting for a passport?

I love love love all the various posts discussing surgeries in Mexico! I had my surgery in the US but my daughters did not have ins that approved sleeve surgery so we went to Mexico and both had their sleeve surgery on Dec 8th. I thank all the qualified surgeons in Mexico for giving us an affordable option. This surgery has been a god given gift for my daughters and for me! Good luck to all if you who have scheduled upcoming surgeries in Mexico!!!!

Edited by jjinWA

I'll be on a flight 1 week from today with surgery the next day. Wow times almost here.

@@katyh2015 Unfortunately, California doesn't participate in the EDL program right now (this is according to the DMV site) unless anyone else knows otherwise?

However, it turns out that it will be a little cheaper for me to go a little later than planned, so I guess that it will work out best that way? I guess we'll see.

Thanks for your encouragement, everyone. :)

I am going to have my surgery on March 2nd with Dr. Ariel Ortiz. Anyone else going that day?

Hey everyone. Just a quick update. I am 2 days post op. Currently in my hotel room in Tijuana. I'm not in any pain. However, I am a little uncomfortable due to a lot of gas! I'm also having a bit of trouble with nausea. But it's not as bad as I expected. I can currently have sips of Gatorade and sugarfree Popsicles and of course ice chips. And starting in a couple days, I can add chicken broth. I fly back home tomorrow morning. Hoping everything goes smoothly.

I do have a question, for everyone who has had their procedure in Mexico, did you get prescribed a gel like medicine that's supposed to help with nausea? It's literally a jelly creamy like thing that you're supposed to take by mouth every 8 hours and it's to help with the nausea. For some reason, I cannot get it down. Just putting it close to my mouth makes me gag really bad. So I have skipped it for now. Will try again in a couple hours.

@Tab2015.... Congrat's!!! Good luck! Can't wait to meet Dr Ortiz on March 2

@@thick2thin I've heard people use the gas x strips for the gas... I am a nurse and don't know of anything that comes as a gel... I do expect to go to a pharmacy in Tijuana and pick up some meds... nausea, pain and antibiotics.... and some prilosec too.

@Tab2015.... Congrat's!!! Good luck! Can't wait to meet Dr Ortiz on March 2

@@thick2thin I've heard people use the gas x strips for the gas... I am a nurse and don't know of anything that comes as a gel... I do expect to go to a pharmacy in Tijuana and pick up some meds... nausea, pain and antibiotics.... and some prilosec too.

Thanks! Yeh, I brought a pack of the gas x strips with me down here. It has helped tremendously! So far, that's all I'm taking, along with my prescribed pain medication. I've decided to skip the nausea gel entirely since it's very difficult for me to get down.