Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did You Have Complications After Weight Loss Surgery?

Complications After Weight Loss Surgery?  

209 members have voted

1. 1. Did you have complications after Weight Loss Surgery?

• Nope, aside from a little soreness during the recovery, things went great!
    • Yes, but nothing serious. I just had some stomach issues.
    • Yes, somehow I developed some nutrient deficiencies. See below for which ones I had and how I fixed them or whether I’m still dealing with them.
    • Yes, I ended up back in the hospital. See why in the conversation below.
    • I haven’t had weight loss surgery yet, but I’m crossing my fingers that nothing serious happens to me.
    • Other. Read my answer in the discussion below.

I have, not a complication, but a word of warning. I spent Sunday evening in the ER with severe lower abdominal pain. I was also passing bright red blood in my urine. I have very severe cystitis. I had none of the classic symptoms, due to, I believe, the large amount of Water I drink post - op. So, be aware that the symptoms of an illness post - op may not be the same as pre-op!

I had no issues post op.

Hi everyone, I haven't been on any forum about this in at least 1year or so.

I'm 2 years post sleeve op and have lost 27kg but put back on 5kg. I think this is the end of my journey and sadly still have to lose another 25kg to get to my goal weight. It's like an endless diet and not a lifestyle change. I don't know how much more I can possibly do to make me lose weight. I've tried everything and it's like my body resists it.

Has anyone been sleeved and experiencing the same issues? Sorry for sounding like a Debbie downer but I'm feeling I'm at the last resort now.

I voted yes. Came through surgery great but once home got the dry heaves.....................those lasted for about 6 weeks.

Got so dehydrated I went to Urgent Care got an IV and was put on Zofran. After that everything went pretty smooth.

I am about 10 months out and have lost about 80 pounds.

So very pleased with my surgery and would do it again in a flash!

Unable to urinate after being discharged and had to go to the ER. Kept a catheter in for a week afterwards and looking forward to it coming out this Wednesday. Otherwise, it hasn't been bad.

I posted on 3/31/15 about being in the ER for severe cystitis. Turns out that I was misdiagnosed. I had several very large kidney stones. After having a stent put in, surgery with a second stent, four rounds of antibiotics and weeks of trying to get my digestive system back to normal, I found out this past Friday, that my kidney stones were probably caused by the Protein Shakes that I drank during the six months of weight loss I had to have to get approved for my gastric bypass. I was told by my Urologist that my post-op diet is right on track to prevent more stones!

I had to stay an extra day due to stomach spasms and vomiting, so couldn't keep anything down.

3 years since being banded, I have some erosion now. Just found out this week.

I had no blips pre, during or after my surgery (March 30, 2015). I am losing weight at a good rate, exercise and feel great.

Sorry to hear! I had a lap-band slip a few years in. What's your plan of action? Did you get a 2nd opinion or you trust your surgeon 100%?

Sorry to hear! I had a lap-band slip a few years in. What's your plan of action? Did you get a 2nd opinion or you trust your surgeon 100%?

I trust mainly because it's what I suspected already and he confirmed it. He mentioned a conversion to bypass before we knew for sure. I've been looking into my options so I'll be ready when I return on the 17th for my appointment.

I had gastrc sleeve surgery. I'm down to a size 9. Most my post-op problems I cause myself. I've reached my goal weight twice. Keep lowering it. Would definitely do it again. Just had endoscopy. Husband was worried about me, pain and regurgitating. Nothings wrong. Eat to fast. Don't chew enough.

I vote other. I had no complications immediately post surgery. I am know dealing with late term complications to include a twisted sleeve, hiatal hernia, and terrible Gerd. My nexium now gets stuck. Everything gets stuck! I am revising to RNY soon.

Did you have complications after Weight Loss Surgery?

• Nope, aside from a little soreness during the recovery, things went great!

I now feel like I am far enough out past surgery to answer "no".

YES! 2 yrs out intussuseption, perforated ulcer, diseased gall bladder. That started 12 long years of 14 abdominal surgeries(last one 3 mos ago and have been told there will be more) for: internal hernias, infected mesh from hernia repair, bowel blockages, biliary catheter 8 mos resulting in sphinctoplasty because surgeon damaged sphincter of oddi when gall bladder removed, pancreatitis, roux limb not properly tacked down, removal of all abdominal fascia and replaced with prosthetic mesh which is attached to my hips and ribs. Am in pain a good bit of the time. Now have unexplained nausea and vomiting and doc says this is gonna be as good as it gets. Also have fistula that causes reflux and am hypoglycemic.14 yrs out..250 lb loss maintained. I am tired.

Edited by meezer953