Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Desperately need some help

Cyndilou,

I am glad I could help. Keep us posted on how you are doing. It took about two weeks for my swelling to go down which is what my doctor had predicted.

faithmd- My doctor offered to replace my band with a bigger one and while he did say he would not charge me there would still be the hospital and anesthesia costs (which are the biggest part of the total cost).

Good Journey,

Terri

It just sort of seems to me that if the doc when s/he was placing it looked at it and said, "Maybe this is too small," then placed it anyway, *they* should eat all of the costs. It was his/her error in judgement, not your fault as the patient.

It just sort of seems to me that if the doc when s/he was placing it looked at it and said, "Maybe this is too small," then placed it anyway, *they* should eat all of the costs. It was his/her error in judgement, not your fault as the patient.

I so totally agree...I would definitely ask the doc about this. It never hurts to ask, the least he could say is "no".

Peace Out!

T~:hippie:

Cindilou,

I just read....how are you doing? Hang in there, I am praying for you! I was banded May 18th and I feel great, however, my Dr. found liquid forming around my port and he said that worse case scenario, the port is infected and the whole thing might have to come out!!! I know how you are feeling...I am a self payer too. We will make it through this. Keep us posted on how you are doing. I go back on Friday.

Cindylou.

My prayers and good wishes to you hon. I was banded on 5/23, and I too, have lots of abdominal swelling. It gets better every day, but I still can't put on my pants and expect to zip them up -not! I am doing stretch waist pants for a while longer. I am also having trouble getting my liquids in - 48 ounces max, and I used to drink Water like a camel.

I can only take 2-3 oz of mushies at a time. Warm tea seems to go down easier than cold liquids, Oral meds (diabetic) have to be split and still they don't go down easily. Take care, I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Rachel

Although I am able to get down something... and liquids... I freaked out till now. I thought there was something wrong with me. I had a tough time too. I can tell you for some reason hot items go down easier for me. I could drink about 4 oz of Protein (hot) and it would take about an hour. (Try unjury... it tastse like hot chocolate)... I'm supposed to be on soft food by Monday... but, I still can't do pureed. When I was in the hospital I had trouble getting down anything, and the woman next to me downed her broth, two juices, and a tea! I'm glad to know it's just the band is small. Do you think I can pursuade the doctor not to fill in 6 weeks?

Please remember that, as these posts show, everyone is different. some people feel no restriction at all at first, and some swell like balloons. It doesn't mean that all is lost. Just that you will react the way your particular body reacts. The lessons some people learn first may be different than others. Your first lessons will be about what liquids go down best, and at what temperature, and lessons in patience and in standing up for what's right for your body. No matter where you start with the band, it's the beginning of a journey. You'll decide when and if a fill is needed. You'll learn to repsect and love your band. You're having a rough start, but it's the start of a new life, with a head start on pounds lost. Calm yourself. You'll also find that things go through the band better when you don't stress. Know that you're getting a group hug from all of us.

I completely understand your opinion here and for the most part agree. In my case, I was pretty sure my doctor had chosen the correct size band, however, we are not one size fits all and it is a judgement call. I don't know how they determine which size to give you but I am sure many of us are in some sort of "grey" zone of being one size and/or the other and this is probably where I was. I think this is where experience counts and why we do our homework. I believed (after questioning my doc) my difficulties came from extreme swelling and not my band size and I had faith once the swelling subsided I would be ok. Thankfully, that is what happened. As for the doctor paying for an error in judgement, I say sure, that is what he has insurance for.

Good Journey,

Terri

I agree, Terri. I'd want to wait it out, too. If you can wait to see if the swelling goes down, then I say by all means, wait. I would not suggest someone go through another surgical procedure if the possibility existed that the swelling could go down enough to start taking in fluids and nutrition. But if the surgeon came in and basically said that s/he doesn't believe it will and that the band is too tight, that is when I'd be digging my heels in and requesting that s/he eat the entire cost.

Betsyjane, WELL SAID!

How are you feeling today? Are you still in the hospital? I didn't see anything posted from you today so I was just thinking about you and wondering how you are feelling? I hope you are feeling better - please let us know.:)

Wait, if the doctor put in too small of a band for you, then I would think the doctor should eat the cost of putting in the small band and reband you with the larger band. After all it was his mistake to put in the small one, see it was very tight, and then close you up.

I would bring that up to him. After all it's your body. If you leave too tight of a band in, the chances are much higher of an erosion or dilating your pouch above the band because things won't go down, of developing problems with your esophagus because of PBing or sliming, etc.

I'm glad to hear that you are getting treatment, though. I hope you continue to improve quickly!

Hi Faith,

Well, ironically when he put the band in, it was fine. He actually saw me in post op and apologized saying I was going to have a tough time until I get filled because the band was so loose! That's how much swelling I had. Crazy.

I feel much better today. Everything seems to be going down okay, so far so good.

Thanks for the thought though. Believe me, I would have been all over him if this sucker had to come out!

Hi Shelli,

I am actually feeling much better today. Still a little slow, but not bad at all. I'm getting in about 40 oz. I could probably do more but I don't want to push it. Saw the doctor today and he said I'm about a week behind for my diet (so one more week of clear liquid for me) but other than that he thinks I should be fine.

Thanks for asking, and thanks for your concern

Glad you are doing better. I had a great deal of restriction at first, so I made sure I set used 1 oz med cups and a timer which I set for 5 min, and made sure I took a drink each time then reset it, so it made about 1 oz every 15 min. which will help you get your liquids in. I also used my Liquid Protein, whey Protein clear that taste like orange and fruit punch from the Vitamin store, so that also helped me get my protein in. This worked great for me, I had a great deal of restriction until about 1 month out now I can eat anything just not very much of it, I go next week to be checked and for my first fill if needed. I was banded on 4/24 and I am down 45 pds. Keep positive and try the med cup and timer, I think that is what really helped me

Good luck

Lost_Secret