Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Binge Eating Disorder

I like everything you've been saying Butch. Thank you so much. I've been reading a lot lately on the web researching the lap band because I'm sick and tired of walking up the stairs and feeling my "apron" slap back and forth on my legs. And I haven't even had surgery yet! I'm hoping that'll shrink...I've been fat for a very long time and most of the time nobody says a word to me about it. I love to eat and and it doesn't seem to matter what it is. Never been a picky eater, I've always said it was my only bad habit I had... don't smoke, don't drink just can't control my damn eating habit..and you know it just pisses me off, you'd think I be able to do something pro-active about it? Well I'm hoping that by banding I can finely get full and just stop thinking about all the different things I could be eating.

hi abyssmum,

do you mean just having binge's or bingeing and throwing up?

either way...i was concerned about getting the band as i have had bulimia in the past where i would eat enormous amounts of food and throw up afterwards.

actually i think about food less since being banded. i'm full more often.

also i dont think you can binge with the band. you can end up having your stomach slip and that creates a host of medical problems.

i was worried they would not do the operation because of my past but it hasnt posed any problems. good luck

g

hey disregard my post below. i was posting to another person's question and it switched over to this thread.....very weird.

I am with you, I love to eat. No matter what it is I eat it to excess, One time, I had a box of chocolot donuts in the back of my work van, well someone was coming so I hide them under a rag that had fuel oil on it, as this was the business I was in. The fuel oil soked into the box and the donuts. Well......... I went back to trying to eat my donuts in peace and found them to have a really bad flavor to them....... they had fuel oil soked into them, UCK..... So what did I do........ as compulsive overeaters, you can guess, I ate them, every last one, and ended up sick. Now I know I was sick, sick with the disease of addiction, I am addicted to eating. Another time I was going to a get together and stopped for a dozen donuts at the good Ol'donut place. Well, I had gotten 2 dozen and ate one on the way to the party, and then when I got there....... made a big deal on what donut to I would love to have, How Sick........ RIGHT????

Now as reguards to this apron swing, or flopping as it where. I was hopping I would lose weight before the dam thing got to hang too much or that it might tighten back up. Well........ that was because I was in denile. I know now that this 80 lb swing fat covering my gentials is not going to magicly shrink away, it's there to stay. That is, unless I have it removed. Which I am going to do as soon as I get to 300 lbs. Then....... once the apron is gone I will quickly lose some fast weight, like..... if it where done today, I would lose a quick 80 to 90 lbs, this mother is really big. Some times I have to remember what my gentails look like and lift that mother and have a look, LOL. Maybe I could us this as an excersize, and upper body workout, LOL.

Butch

Butch - you are a man of truth and not many of us are. Like other addicts we lie cheat and steal to fuel our addictions. Lying is mostly to ourselves! I have to work every day to be totally honest with myself. I have only been banded just over a month, but I realize more and more everyday (especially since I have no fill yet) that my band is a small portion - pun intended - of my ultimate ability to be successful or not.

I also love that you call yourself a "fatty" - because I too think that word is true and accurate. My "plump" is not pleasing and my body that is this big is not beautiful.

Let's fight the good and HONEST fight!

Butch- I once went to an OA meeting and this man was sharing how he put the fast food in the back seat of his car so he wouldn't eat it on the way home, but then he was reaching back to get some fries and nearly had a serious accident. That always stuck in my head because I realized what a serious addiction I had to food. Rosie O'Donnell once wrote an article in her magazine(before she went BAD-haha) about her addiction to food and she wrote it just like a drug addict and it was very good. Like the cop pulls her over and instead of alcohol on her breath and bloodshot eyes she has frosting on her face and a glazed over sugar rush in her eyes. I'm glad we decided to address our addiction and I hope we all have the strength to stay on track until the end. I see the beast trying to sneak up on me and sometimes I let him. Thanks for the wake-up call.

Fuelman,

Your my hero man! 200llbs off AWSOME! I overeat, the doctors tell me I'm a non purging bulimic...... That's like saying I'm a little bit pregnant! I overeat! I to am having the band fitted 15th June, to be honest if I hadn't paid already, after reading these posts, I propably wouldn't bother, I thought it would be the magic cure. I just wish I knew why I overeat all the time, I hate myself after. Great posts fuleman, very honest, very sad.

Jx

No way man, don't not have the band done, you might figure out how to beat the band, (By grazing and eating soft foods) But with the right adjustment you won't be able to do even that. I would tell you to have it done and for as long a possiable not eat till you throw up. You want to have the band firmly in place, and it takes about 4 to 5 weeks. When they tell you to start eating regular food, beleive me, you will know right away what you can eat and what you can't. Even for as long as I have had this band I ate some micro eggs 2 days ago, and I did not chew that good.......... and some of the eggs got stuck in the hole. Well....... for almost all of the day I could not eat anything, shit, I could hardly drink. When I mean drink, I mean drink like we fatty's drink, we guzzle down whatever. I had to take little drinks and I was fine, except I could not eat, whatever I ate I threw up. I then figured, this was a good thing and it started me on a couple of really good day, with protine shakes in the morning, 1/2 sandwhich for lunch, and a modest dinner, if any. So it worked out good, but either way on the 19th I am going for a fill in NY, and try to have it maxed out. I am now after 5 years ready to have this done, I want to be done with this weight.

NOW........... about why we eat so much, who knows, we do. They can put any name they want on it but, we are fat because we eat too dam much, way beyond any normal sense of the word, we are eating our self's to death. Just like the alcoholic who can't (or does not want to stop drinking) OR, the drug addict who uses........ whatever...... and keeps useing till he is either dead or in jail, takeing everyone with them. If there is anyone left. We fatty's, are just like that, we use food like a addict uses heroin, we keep useing till we hit a bottom. Sometimes the addict can hide his useing for a long time, but with us fatty's there ain't no hiding, no matter how much black we wear, LOL. You ever see a fatty swimming in a pool with a big Ol' shirt over there bathing suit ????? They think they are hiding something, like no one can tell they'er fat under the tee shirt. LOL. How stupid can we be........... telling our self's if I wear big shirts and baggin stuff, no one will be able to tell we're fat.

We joke about it here at home, we are all fat here some more then others (OK I am at the top of the list, For now), LOL. We don't hide our fat, if your fat you might as well be honest about it. Like, when someone say's, "Man, My Feet Hurt", I will say: "You Know Why Your Feet Hurt ??", "It's Cause Your FAT". Anyway............ we can't hide being fat, when we're fat, everyone see's it. Not that I let people hurt my feeling anymore, I am through with that shit. If someone makes a off color, or a rude comment about me being fat and I take it to heart......... Well they better look out, because they are about to get the same back, and I can be just as crud as they are, and maybe a little more. Why is it OK to to insult fat people, but you will let some hard ass or bully walk around and not say anything to him or her. Anyway............ it's time we as fat people start to tell the truth about ourself's to ourself's. We are the first person we have to tell the truth to. NO MORE DENILE, no more lieing about what or how much we eat, no more hiding our eating. I would do this thing, I called it the "Glen Cove, figure 8." there was a Micky D's across the street for Wendy's, so I would order 2 different meals, one from each drive-in. I was thinking...... I did not want the person taking the order's to think I was too fat and all the food I was ordering was for ME. So I would split it between the 2 places........ NOW how sick is that !!!!!!! I cared about some pimple faced kid taking orders for $6 an hour. BOY HOW CRAZY CAN WE BE !!!!!

Butch

Fuleman,

You sound like a total sweetheart. Yes, I've done some crazy things to get food as well, sounds very familiar to me. I will be getting banded, to scared not to, to scared to! I'll let you know how I get on, 10 days to go..... TERRIFIED!

Jx