Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has weight loss/surgery turned me crazy?

I am extremely irritable. I will be 6 weeks post-op on Thursday. It makes it really difficult to keep my cool with the job I am in. Dang, I have to bite my tongue sometimes and find my happy place in my mind. LOL

weight loss/surgery turned me crazy?

@@kenb79

YES :D

oooops

took an extra silly pill this morning instead of my Vitamins :o :lol:

most people are going through "a lot' of different emotions post op (like OP have said)

"maybe" the hormone thing :unsure:

in my opinion the different feelings (anger, impatience ie) are just set off because you are going through a whole new experience

you are dealing with food issues

not eating so much etc

i met with your therapist last night :)

i agree with her "diagnosis" ;)

give yourself a break

try not to stress toooo much

(easier said than done)

you have lost 100 lbs!! :)

you are a new member of the century club

your body and you are experiencing new things

keep up the good work :)

good luck

kathy

Edited by proudgrammy

@@kenb79

YES :D

oooops

took an extra silly pill this morning instead of my Vitamins :o :lol:

most people are going through "a lot' of different emotions post op (like OP have said)

"maybe" the hormone thing :unsure:

in my opinion the different feelings (anger, impatience ie) are just set off because you are going through a whole new experience

you are dealing with food issues

not eating so much etc

i met with your therapist last night :)

i agree with her "diagnosis" ;)

give yourself a break

try not to stress toooo much

(easier said than done)

you have lost 100 lbs!! :)

you are a new member of the century club

your body and you are experiencing new things

keep up the good work :)

good luck

kathy

Haha. My therapist is male but that did make me laugh

Well, as i like to say... "my give a damn is busted" these days....

Really, I am just not as willing to be the smiling, happy, jovial fat girl anymore.

I have grown fond of quoting country western songs... so bear with me... but one of my themes is "I'd rather have nothing than a whole lotta something I don't need". Meaning, I only want people in my life who are true friends and bring a good energy into my life. Relationships have changed.

But I also agree with what everyone else said - the crankiness should be temporary. The being less concerned about what others think/or feeling the need to sort of fit in seems to be a permanent change.

Oh great, everyone around me is going to go through hell, I'm already a hot tempered, speak my mind redhead, a week from yesterday I have the RNY done. I've always been laid back and easy going, but when pregnant or recovering from surgery I'm not a nice person to be around. Even when in a lot of pain I tend to snap a bit. I wonder if the 23 yr old roommate can handle me on a short leash, I know the hubby can handle me pissed off, he generally throws a stuffed animal in my direction and tells me to cool it.....well one can hope we can. Anyway, back to the regularly scheduled programming.

Yeah, I've been kinda cranky too. (Just ask my wife.) But a month or so ago she pointed it out to me, and since then I've made a concerted effort to cut it out. And for the most part it seems to be working. Just being aware of it can help a bit.

It's got to be the hormones...A sensible explaination!

Can you dipstick your urine? Your ketones might be crazy high. Some folks get cranky.

Or, are you lamenting re: food?

I find that when I'm around some of my trigger foods I get cranky I've decided it's like a food addicts way of jonesing, I'm glad I read this, because I posted this in another group I'm in for depression about this same issue. I did read that when we are losing a lot of weight our hormones are actually fluctuating quite a bit which can cause mood swings.

@@kenb79 Oh you have no idea the emotional rollercoaster this can do. But it is all for the better, keep telling yourself that. It all has to do with the change, the shock, the irritation with food, the anticipation, stress, etc, blah blah blah.

Think of it as PMS only with food. B)

I don't think I was really ever cranky...however, one thing that would set me off is people saying "oh that's got to be much easier than working out to lose the weight" I am a pretty laid back type person in most cases but when someone discounts the journey I went on I had to speak my mind...

This is not "easy" I have done the Optifast diet, I have had personal trainers, I have been successfull there, however, one thing those didn't do was curb the feeling of ALWAYS BEING HUNGRY. This surgery did that for me, sure I get hungry but I know my limits, can it be overcome? sure...I could drink chocolate if I wanted to ruin it, but I don't, I make the right decisions, I eat what I need to keep myself healthy and make sure that I get in all the Vitamins and nutrients that I need every day. Easy? no I don't think so!

One thing that still cracks me up, I asked my kids (4 yr old boy and 5 yr old girl) if they like smaller mommy...My 4 yr old son said I don't like little mommy, she is fast and I can't catch her. keeping my toddlers on their toes!!

just what I wanted to read this morning. ugh. so irritable. some of it is me, some of it is because of a bunch of dick wads.... :)

I know for me I was short tempered the first couple of weeks but I do believe that was because my hormones were out of wack but then I didnt take crap off of no one as my body adjusted and the weight came off my attude change, my self esteem grew and little things that I use to accept I no longer accept instead of me being invisible one in the one I became front and centered rather I wanted to be or not, so I demanded respect and did not take any more crap off of people. You will level out just remember to stay focus take one day at a time and exercise and sex help me relieve stress in a positive way. Good luck.

I had surgery just a little over two weeks ago. I noticed the past 48 hours I just can't seem to relax and be content. I also noticed I was very impatient and snippy. My pouch is being difficult and gets all worked up when I eat or drink Water. So, last night I decided to have watered down apple juice. OMG- that was the best darn apple juice water ever. I think my body needed the sugar from the juice. I felt so much better. Maybe this would help. Good luck!!

Are there any natural supplements we can take to curb this, I ask because i'm already cranky and I haven't had surgery yet Lol.