Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The things people eat!

@@LipstickLady I was being funny I would hope I wasn't really the enemy ! I will just be more careful how I say or ask things next time. ☺️

That was what I was trying to say and ask!! How can people that have the sleeve so early on eat like that!

It never occurred to me that you meant anything else. Some people are very touchy. As a candidate for surgery it would be natural to worry that you may be choosing the wrong surgery if you get the sense that people you know personally are eating poorly/large portions so soon after surgery.

i think the difference here is many of you who have said you ate this or that are also at or past our goal. if a few week old person at a plate of nachos yeah i would have to think they will fail, and as we all know people do fail, its not uncommon. and as we also know some people never solve their eating problems and rebound back to where they were before the surgery and while it stuns me to go through all this just to fail, I can certainly understand how it happens. instead of being appalled or flabbergasted, take pity on them and go your own way. They have to live their own lives.

Four months after I had the sleeve was around Christmas 2014. I enjoyed two weeks of chocolate, cake, and other junk I shouldn't have been eating, and while I only had a few bites, it certainly wasn't the best decision making. As of last January I cut out all the junk and while I occassionally had an off day, I again around Christmas decided I deserved some chocolate and other things I don't eat the rest of the year. I paid for my surgery out of pocket and my idea about the sleeve is that the goal is to be normal, which does not mean always eating veggies and grilled chicken everyday for the rest of my life. Sometimes I have a french fry off someone's plate, today I had an entire 360 calorie blueberry muffin over the course of several hours, and earlier this week I had a chicken salad sandwich.

Much as I think all of us have looked at what other people are eating, especially if we know they've had surgery and be a little judgemental, I have found that there are snapshots in time where if someone looked at me they would be like, damn girl put down the cake and go get on a treadmill. As such, I think the important part of surgery is that you use it for what helps you be successful. If that means once a week you get a cheat meal, or you allow yourself a few pieces of chocolate a day, or like me I drink diet soda with a straw by the gallon, in the end if I get on the scale on the morning and it says somewhere between 130-132, right now I'm ok with that. If, like the other day it told me I was 133, I spend the day being very careful with what I eat and I am right back within my weight window. What works for you, may not work for someone else, but I'm sure there is a whole more to their journey than the junk we happen to catch others eating occassionally.

people stop jumping down her throat,, sheesh she didn't attack anyone she didn't yell at them or tell them they did wrong, if it was me or you you would also wonder how they ate a whole plate of nachos, its not that they had a little cheat here or there, if youre a new sleeve its horrible that you would risk your health like that but she didnt say it or show it she just asked about it here in a supposedly safe place so get off her back.

I told th story here about one of my surgeons patients who on the way home from the hospital stopped at mcdonald's for chicken nuggets and wound up in the ICU for 3 weeks while they healed her stomach. If i told that story again would you say it was judgemental, or maybe a cheat day? No so get over yourselves. Someone asks a question and you accuse them of being judgemental, as you are judging them.

Edited by Stevehud

Caution, thread gone out of control..... Recommend termination. :o :wacko: ;)

people stop jumping down her throat,, sheesh she didn't attack anyone she didn't yell at them or tell them they did wrong, if it was me or you you would also wonder how they ate a whole plate of nachos, its not that they had a little cheat here or there, if youre a new sleeve its horrible that you would risk your health like that but she didnt say it or show it she just asked about it here in a supposedly safe place so get off her back.

I told th story here about one of my surgeons patients who on the way home from the hospital stopped at mcdonald's for chicken nuggets and wound up in the ICU for 3 weeks while they healed her stomach. If i told that story again would you say it was judgemental, or maybe a cheat day? No so get over yourselves. Someone asks a question and you accuse them of being judgemental, as you are judging them.

lol

Well its hard to have self control sometimes…and i do think one should treat one self…i had 3 chips yesterday with tuna…and i do have 2 fries sometimes as the potato….we are all human and there's no perfect diet…i treated my self since i worked hard at the gym…now this is not a normal thing for me…am a firm believer in don't judge unless u want someone to judge you... ^_^

Edited by Pepper123

Perspective is what you see from where you stand. I think what the OP said/saw/felt was normal for someone in her position. I am in the same position (pre-op) and I, too, would probably think the same things if I saw that. I also think it's normal for someone post-op who has indulged when the need arises to feel the sting of what she said.

My post adds no value. I just think no one should jump on anyone's head for feeling a certain way when they don't know what the other side feels like just yet.

I'm approaching 5 months out (sleeved Sept. 1) and I have had nachos and chicken tenders several times! I don't see how a whole plate of either of those would be physically possible, but I definitely wouldn't judge someone for not eating "healthy" 100% of the time. I can't finish 2 normal-sized chicken tenders, much less with any sides (though I do use sauce). And the two times I've tried nachos, I've eaten maybe 6 chips with cheese sauce? Maybe?

I'm going to eat crappy foods some of the time. That's just a simple truth. If I was capable of eating healthy foods 100% of the time, then I wouldn't have needed WLS in the first place. But now, instead of an entire pizza in one sitting once a week, I might eat one piece of thin crust and maybe even the meat and cheese off the top of a second piece once a month? I've had Doritos, chocolate, Cookies, pie, cake, chips, nachos, pizza, fries, and probably a whole list of other bad things since my surgery, but the quantities of those things that I eat over the course of a month now are probably like 1/100th of what I used to eat!

Cool! I don't know you were a mind reader! ;):D

Really, i thought you thought that i thought you knew?

I just ordered buffalo chicken tenders for dinner.

And now Imma go pour a glass of chardonnay.

Or walk on the treadmill ... hmmm ....

I've got it! I'll drink chardonnay on the treadmill.

Hydration during exercise. I am the perfect VSG patient. :)

Edited by VSGAnn2014