Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The things people eat!

I will start by saying that I was shocked by your post. How is it that someone that has yet to have the surgery judge someone else. You should be ashamed of yourself.

I truly hope that once YOU have your surgery you are 100% perfect in everyway for the entirety of your life!

Oh but when in 6, 8, 12 months or how many years you sit down to eat something so foolish I hope you remember this post and how you couldn't imagine how a VSG'er could do such a thing!!!

They're all choices, and if seeing that motivates you to make better ones for yourself, great. I can honestly say I couldn't do it before, and I'm not perfect now. What the sleeve does for me, and all it does, is help me to not lose control to the point that I can't get myself together. I'm not as hungry and can't hold as much, and it helps me behave long past the stage where I would have given up if I were doing this without surgical intervention...but it doesn't stop me from wanting or even occasionally having a fist full of Reese's Pieces.

Best of luck to you on your journey!

Yes I understand what everyone is saying. like I said I do not know how I will be, I guess I'm just praying that I don't want to eat bad. I love junk food, it's my enemy, I don't judge anyone I guess I'm just kinda surprised that they or anyone can stomach that food after surgery, I guess they can, huh. Well yes I will probably eat bad at times because God and I both know I'm not perfect! I just really pray that I don't fall back into these bad eating habits that I have had! Please don't get me wrong I know every one of us is in this same boat and I pray for all of us to do good and make the right choices.

OP- please take the advice earlier, talk to post ops, attend a support group, get counseling or whatever you need because surgery will not fix you. We still have to do the work. Develop a plan and strategies now. I have found the saying "failing to plan is a plan for failure" to be true in my experience. I understand that you didn't mean to judge but rather you are naive to the realities of what life will be like after surgery. Keep reading and asking questions because hoping to be successful post op won't make it so.

"failing to plan is a plan for failure" - is very true in my case. I plan everything. The way I eat now is pretty much the same way I ate pre surgery only in smaller portions. I eat chocolate, I use real sugar and raw honey. I don't use diet foods or have cheat days. I plan and incorporate every into as healthy and balanced a daily eating pattern as possible.

The other thing I keep in mind is that nothing is more obnoxious than a former fatty who goes to the opposite extreme and becomes self righteous. We're all human beings trying to make this weight issue work. If you think you have food addictions around a particular food, work on that now. WLS isn't going to magically whisk it away.

Thank you Erp, I really am not judging anyone I have been judge plenty in my life I am a very open minded supportive person and I will always treat people the way I want to be treated! When I posted the first post I did not state or ask it the right way so now I'm the enemy. You are right I am just naive to how people can eat after surgery. Trust me I read I read constantly! I have studied and studied this life that I am about to enter, and I guess I learn something new every day!

I don't know how she can. A small bite of junk food makes me sick. And I'm scared to death to drink a carbonated beverage. My favorite food were mostly junk and bad food. But now I crave veggies and Peanut Butter. Your body is so different after surgery.

Edited by carolvalen

@@Nikkidoodlebug What?????? She had her surgery Dec 8 and is eating that? That doesn't even seem possible! Crazy!

I had my surgery on Dec 17th and I can't imagine that! I thought I was fancy with my cauliflower mash and one ounce of chicken thigh cut into tiny pieces! Even when I am cleared to go back to "regular" food I cannot imagine being able to eat like that in a week or two. That is one determined nacho-lover!!!

@@Nikkidoodlebug - In my opinion, theres no way she can be eating that much with the sleeve. i had the sleeve done july 2, 2014 - I'm down more than 100lbs. I do cheat and have some junk food every now and then, but its PORTION SIZE that really matters. She shouldn't even be capable of eating that portion size. I would throw up or be extremely uncomfortable if i were to do that. AND I DONT WANT TO DO THAT. The sleeve has given me a NEW LIFE. A NEW ME. Im the happiest I've ever been. WHO would want to ruin that. food is an addiction, and it sounds like whoever you're talking about needs more help than just the surgery. ( you can stretch your stomach back to the size it was before the surgery, i know that. That alone is scary to me)

I just feel that my ignorance to the post op part of life, made me the enemy. Like I said, I just said it all wrong the first time. Like carolvalen said, I just thought that stuff would make people sick or that the stomach couldn't Handel it nor would I think anyone would want to chance eating it after surgery. Now I know that yes people can eat it and yes they do, I learn something everyday!

That was what I was trying to say and ask!! How can people that have the sleeve so early on eat like that! And then I was being taken as judge mental I'm sorry

Look at this as an educational experience.

When I was a few months out from my sleeve I went to an unmoderated support group. The ladies there started talking about all the junk food they loved - donuts, fair food etc. I asked them and they had each lost about 50#, were about a year out and were still quite heavy.

Note to self: don't role model myself after them!

I think finding people you can relate to, who had the success you dream of - and copy their success factors SHAMELESSLY! Good luck