Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Starting to panic surgery February 2 and I can't find any protein powder I like

Actually I like Syntrax chocolate truffle. I have also tried Unjury's sample pack and I find that their flavors leave an aftertaste that I don't like.

I am looking for any and all recommendations for soy or whey Protein powders or shakes that are not blends.

I bought Torani sugar-free caramel and Peanut Butter syrups that I can mix in with flavors.

Have any of you ever used unflavored Protein powder in like Crystal light mixes before?

Really hoping to get some good recommendations thanks for all your help. I Love this board it's been so helpful.

Trader Joe's unflavored soy Protein powder probably tastes the best out of all the ones I've tried (no funny aftertaste, blends well with everything) and is relatively inexpensive (about $12 for a huge jar).

Although, if you can have yogurt the first few weeks post-op, greek yogurt packs a massive Protein punch for very few calories and can often taste better. My NUT told me its better to find high protein sources in real food rather than relying on shakes.

I don't love any but I do like Target brand's vanilla.

Jay Robb's brand are the best I have had by far. You can order a sample pack on their website. There is none of that weird aftertaste.

I'll say GNC lean me is the best for me...at least i did not puke it up and thats a good thing...

I buy the Premier Protein in chocolate and vanilla. I add Folgers hazelnut coffee flavor drops to it and it's like drinking an iced coffee. I also put the sugar free Syrup and I was told I can use extracts in them as well. They are good without adding flavor but better with it to add some variety.

I also had a sample pack of the unjury unflavored and used it in some broth. It was pretty good. I wouldn't mix it with Water though. I think the seasoning I added helped it mask any possible aftertaste.

Edited by laurenella82

I didn't love the Protein shakes right after surgery. I found their consistency hard to get down. Now I drink them usually once a day. But..... some alternatives to think about.... check out the BariatricChoice.com website. In those first few weeks I did a lot of their Protein Jello, protein broth, and protein hot chocolate. It gave me all the benefits of the shakes, but at a consistency that agreed a bit more with my tummy.

I love Pure Protein in all flavors. I was *layering* it like this in a shaker bottle: 8oz 1% milk 8gm Protein, one scoop of Pure Protein, another 8oz 1%, one envelope of sugar free Carnation, another 8oz 1%, and a second scoop of Pure Protein. I did it that way as it seemed to helped to decrease *clumping* (unless the shaker was shaken like it was in a paint mixing machine).

On Sunday, We only had 12oz of milk left, so I used Water for the rest. To my wonder & surprise, it not only tasted really good, and there was far less clumping. I've since been using 8oz Water as the 2nd layer of liquid with great results.

I also put either almond extract, coconut extract, raspberry and/or lemon (imitation) extracts in the shaker, too. It makes it all kindza fun too! When vanilla and strawberry are combined (2:1 either way), it becomes a nice understated flavor. on my shopping list is orange extract to use in a vanilla shake; I'm hoping it will give it a wicked good Creamsicle™ flavor!

Whatcha' think boys and girls?? I'm sure I'm not the first person to try this!!